Old Bake Lite Weller Soldergun Repair?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Groovey Records, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    [​IMG]

This gun belonged to my Dad and he tought me how to use it. I know there is better suited modern equipment but it has Sentimental Value.

I also hate having a tool that doesn't operate properly and it just doesn't get hot enough to melt spit.

I could buy the same gun for 10 bucks at a flea if I tried but it wouldn't be my Dad's, so I'd like to get it repaired.

Anyone know where I could send it ?

I already swapped the tip so thats not it and getting these tips is not easy to find. If I can get it fixed it would be for the bigger leads and cable repair.

So anybody? Please!

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey Records

Listening to CSNY- Teach your Children

2. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Is Weller still in business if so I would contact them and ask them if they would fix it for you as it has sentimental value. They might?

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

www.wellersoldering.com

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Thanks I'll check that out

5. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Mine is an ancient inherited thing too. It has a dual switch in the trigger. One word of caution, don't use it around pickups, there's enough coil on that thing to act as a de-magnetizer. By the way, looking at your photo, that puppy is set up for 220V or 208V, so that's why it's cold on 120v. You'll need a buck and boost transformer to get it up to temp, unless you are overseas. Good luck!

6. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

I noticed that and thought it must be an internal step up it has original 110 two prong plug, I wonder if there is a way for me to step it back down to 120 (110). only transformers I remember my father having is for my train sets ac / dc

Thanks

mmmmm now what

GrooVey Records
    listening to Mozart's concerto in D minor

7. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

8. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

So yesterday I called Weller left a message with the service dept and today Larry from Cooper Industries called me and took me through a couple of steps and now it works.

First I measured Voltage across the tip inputs to see if it was a half or whole amp. It was a whole so he gathered that the label was incorrect as many were in the past. Then he had me sand down the copper connection on the tip of the gun and VOILA its working.

What great customer service for a fifty year old tool

http://www.cooperhandtools.com

EnJoy the Music
    GrooVey Records

Listening to Nina Simone-Young Gifted and Black

9. reeced

reeced Member

One other thing that Weller recommends (I've got one as well) is to first loosen and then tighten the nuts that hold the copper tool - this ensures better contact.

btw it usually comes with other bits for cutting/melting/shaping wax/plastic/polystyrene etc - does yours have those ?

10. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

No it doesn't I might look for some

I still feel it greatest asset is sentamental value. Although I dought they will last 5 years a new soldering station with variable heat control is much more suitable for Close in Soldering on Circuits and Thin insulated Wires.

I'm Just amazed at the customer service I received

Try getting that from a chinese company

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    Groovey Records

BTW I've found an excellent tube source for NOS tubes Tested beyond belief and guaranteed

PM me if your interested

11. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Those guns are basically just a step-down transformer. The current is very high so hence you need to have very clean contacts on the tip.

Good comment on the demagnetizing capability of these units. I used to use one to demagnetize cassette tape heads/capstans and it works well if you're careful not to burn them in the process. Just pull the trigger, bring it near and move it around. Then remove from the tape machine and release the trigger.

12. alltone

alltone Member

I saw your post re: replacement tips. I have a couple of these old guns. They are great for soldering directly to a chassis or large components that suck up the heat. I use the ground wire from scrap pieces of house wire (romex) 12 guage. Cut a piece 3 to 4 inches in length, slip on the tip nuts,bend the ends to fit the gun and presto..an unlimited tip supply.Hit the trigger and while the tip is hot, tighten down the nuts.Tin it right away.They may not last as long as a stock tip ,but they're free. Acid core will eat them up very fast but the resin core that you would use for your wiring is easy on them.
    :BEER
    "TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!"

13. Trout

Trout Member

They can also be used as a Degaussing Coil on old portable color TV's.

I have a couple of those, Go VERY easy on the trigger switches, That was one of the most common failing parts. I got lucky and found a few at a TV repair shop auction. The old style switch is getting harder to locate.

Trout