old Bassman Amp

tj1004

So I've got this amp. It was bought at a yard sale and has some switch added that does nothing, and a Master Volume knob added. I plan on having it unmodded and overhauled. Anyone have any soundclips of one of these or what I should expect? It also has the matching cabinet. Not sure if it is 2x12 or 2x15s but the speakers need replacing as well. What speakers came from the factory with this amp? I want to try to keep it as original as possible so any info will be helpful.

DSC00278.jpg

tj1004

ok, a little more digging and I found some good info and answered some of my own questions. I believe it is a '65 model and the tube chart on the inside says it has the AA165 circuit. The cab also has 2x12s. Anybody with some good soundclips of a similar amp?

infiniteposse

They can cover tons of ground. LOUD amps that have lots of headroom and take pedals well. You made a great score. Get a recap and plug into any 4 Ohm cab.

AL30

$40 !!! :eek: That's not a deal - that's a robbery. Those are some serious bragging rights you just attained. Congratulations.

First, that IS a great amp. It's LOUD. It should start to get a nice grind somewhere between 3 and 5 which may start to alert the cops.

It may not be an AA165 although you'll have to crack it open to find out. AB165 is more common. Fender tube charts are notoriously wrong so you can't go by that.

Not sure what speakers came with that amp - Jensen's or Oxford's are likely suspects. Either way, if they are bad get them reconed. Do NOT let someone talk you out of them - especially if they are Jensen's.

Get it to a tech and have some maintenance done. You probably need a cap job - just electrolytics, leave the blue molded caps in there unless they are bad.

Here's some info - schematics and layouts just scroll down the left side. Do not order anything from here - use someone else.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

Check you speaker codes here

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

Have fun with it.

AL

pacomc79

that's a great amp, fantastic for 40 bucks well worth spending a little money on it to have it de hacked and have the master volume removed, have it put back to the way God and Leo Fender intended :D

Have someone good do the work to make sure everything is good with it and it should serve you very very well.

Ted Weber can recone the speakers for you.

infiniteposse

Yeah, that's an amazing deal.

You know, since it's already drilled in the right place, you could also make it a Blonde 4 knob Bassman as well. It'll sound great either way, but I'd consider the blonde option since it was defiled when you got it.

You should now make an offering to the gear Gods and say thanks for your score for 2008.

HandOfTheHost

Since it's already got the MV drilled and installed, I'd consider leaving it. I've got one on my bassman and it is handy to have. Great score, congrats!

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
The original speakers could be from one of three sources Fender used at the time: Jensen (C12N), Utah or Oxford. All are ceramic magnet, 50w, 8ohms apiece. If it's got the Jensens, I'd have them reconed- I used Ted Weber to recone the speaker from a bf Deluxe about 2 years ago, he did a good job. As for replacements, either the Eminence Red, White & Blues or the Weber 12F150W are the closest to exact repros that I know of.

As far as the stock Bassman sound goes... it's Fender's "vanilla" flavor. I love a good vanilla myself. That said, you've got the holes pre-drilled and there are lots of options. You could keep the master as-is or, depending on where it harnesses the circuit, have it rewired after the phase inverter; you could install a Presence control, or the Midrange filter found on the Twin Reverb, Showman and Super Reverb from the same era; you could install a switch or knob which bypasses the tone stack, allowing the unfiltered signal to hit the phase inverter/power tubes.

Also, lots of bf/sf Bassman players are having the "Bass" channel rewired to tweed Fender or JTM Marshall spec's, and by all accounts that makes it more usable for guitar. Given how little you paid(!) and the holes, it's never going to be a museum piece, so don't be afraid to tailor it as you like.

blackba

Silver Supporting Member
Great score. I would change the master volume out for a Presence knob, I wish I had a presence knob on mine. For the speakers if they are jensens get them reconed, otherwise I would just get some webers to replace them.

If you get a chance, post so gut shots of the amp.

tj1004

Here's some gut shots. It looks like the bass knob on the "bass" side is wired to the added mini-toggle, not sure what this is. Its definitely been hacked on, the mods are pretty sloppy looking, notice the tape and the blobs of silicone.

Circuit:
DSC00296.jpg

Circuit:
DSC00304.jpg

Switch mod:
DSC00307.jpg

Cab:
DSC00288.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom