Old Boogie Body guitars..remember?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phatdave, Feb 19, 2009.

1. phatdave

phatdave Member

Okay, sorry no picture, just a memory.

Back in the mid to late Seventies I had a Boogie Body guitar I bought around the Vancouver/Porland area. Strat style, came with a molded hard shell case. It was number, like # 0039 or some such.

Does ANYBODY else recall these at all ? I believe they were the first of Warmoths guitar building Empire.

If anybody owns one and/or has pictures PLEASE post them. Thanks.

dave

2. bunny

bunny Member

Joe Satriani says before Ibanez endorsement he used to play several Booogies with strat necks...

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

They were a product of Ken Warmoth I think. The recent Hot Rod issue of Premier Guitar had the story of Boogie Bodies and its connection to Warmoth. Eddie VH used their parts for his early homebrews.

4. bullet69

bullet69 Member

I thought boogie bodies was Lynn Elsworth's company back then

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Yep. Warmoth spun out of the olf Boogie Bodies.

6. phatdave

phatdave Member

Somebody HAS to have one...or pictures of them.

dave

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

It was Lynn Elsworth and they still come up on ebay now and then - nice looking bodies too. Funny - Warmoth spun from Boogie and USACG spun from Warmoth.

8. antojado

antojado Member

9. cugel

cugel Member

my first good guitar was a mhaogony bb strat and a solid RW neck. good guitar and i loved the neck but it had a floyd so i unloaded it

10. baimun

baimun Member

Remember 'em? I've been using 'em for YEARS!

When I was in high school (25 or so years ago) and read about Eddie building a guitar using a Boogie body, I started tracking down phone numbers for various guitar companies like Boogie, Chandler, EMG, Carvin, and I started calling 'em up, ordering parts over the phone, and building my own.

[​IMG]

The blue body above is a Boogie Body. Recently I sanded all the blue off of it and now it's natural ash (the quilt was just a veneer and I didn't like it.)

I'm going to finish it in a thin coat of Tung oil and make it a knock-around guitar.

11. baimun

baimun Member

Even this Carvin I played back then was made from a Set-Neck kit. Flame maple body, maple neck, and EMG 85 humbucker.

Clear lacquer on the body, oil finish on the neck.

[​IMG]

12. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

13. BeowulfKingsley

BeowulfKingsley Member

I have a Boogie Bodies neck on my principal Jazz Bass from the 60s (original one was destroyed alas). Lovely thing, ebony fingerboard, actually an old-school 60s Precision style. Solid as a ROCK...it's been cross country countless times, out to Europe touring for 5 years, and I've never even had to adjust the truss rod. Ever. Amazing.

14. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

Van Halen's original Frankenstein was a Boogie Body.

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes, and he was/is still making them. I talked with him and his company only a few years ago. He spits out some necks or bodies and puts them up there for sale. He was pretty much only making the real skinny necks at the time. They told Linn would make a custom neck but it'd take 8 months or so. I declined. I had a student who had a Linn E. strat made for him, and it was pretty nice. Oil finished, slick neck, real flat radius. It felt like a typical Warmoth profile.
    Just check out his site, might still be going:
    http://www.soundinstruments.com/

16. BiohazardVideo

BiohazardVideo Member

I grew up down the street from Lynns shop. Allow me to set the record straight.

Warmoth was an ass. He didn't "spin off", he bailed taking patented Boogie Body designs and customer lists and tried to say "his designs" were original...

Lynn whooped his ass in court, but Warmoth still misrepresented himself as one of Lynns chief designers...

also, the body of Eddies guitar was not a Boogie, the neck was... Edie visited the shop and grabbed a neck out of the scrap bin because he thought it looked cool. Lynn tried like hell to switch it with a straight one just like it, but Eddie wouldn't let him. Lynn and the crew worked their asses off making the neck true and got it.

In case anyone wants to check the validity of my claim google map 12606 107th Ave Ct E Puyallup, WA ... at the end of the street on 128 Street on the North East corner was the shop. I also went to school with his son Blake and drooled over his hot sister...

GosseB likes this.
  17. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

nice info up there ^^^ you were around in the glory days!

Adam from Floydupgrades.com seems to have bought the name and rights to Boogie Bodies and is releasing bodies and necks again.

the glory days of the southern california superstrat - someone REALLY needs to write a book about allthese companies and the development of the superstrat. if i didn't already have THREE book projects on my desk i am writing, i would consider doing it....

18. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Never heard of these until this week. My local GC has one hanging on the wall for sale.

19. Britgear

Britgear Member

Before Ken Warmoth worked for Lynn, John Fadden made the necks, bodies and guitars for Lynn. John was the man ! When he left BB in the late 70's, he had a small workshop on California Ave. in West Seattle, near where I lived at the time. I spent many an hour with John, talking guitars and coming up with ideas. He made several custom guitars for me, including a copy of my 1958 Flying V. He also made a couple other V's, including a 1 PU Jr version and a Flame top version. One I wished I kept was a neck through Mahogany Strat with a Gibson Scale, angled headstock and 2 P-90's, that was a killer guitar. BB's still turn up around here (Seattle) and are a good value for a well made American guitar. I do think the early ones made by John are the best.

20. squiv

squiv Member

I have a boogie bodies bass I had made in 1977 A p-bass zebrawood body and birdseye maple neck. Still plays, sounds beautiful.