Old Boss analog multi effects

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JKW, Dec 7, 2016.

1. JKW

JKW Member

Seen a few of these online, namely the BE-5 and ME-5. They look quite interesting, all the effects are analog except the delays, thinking of picking one up for a simple gigging board. Anyone have any experience?

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

the BE-5 was my 1s effects unit. I really didn't know how to use it, or play very well. : (
    I remember it having a noise gate on it

3. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

I loved my ME-5 into the early '90s and they've been getting some play here lately. I think it's still quite the viable options as long as all the buttons and switches still work.
    Not much fun to make edits or create presets with funky buttons (mine got that way after various bevvies were poured in/on it - not at all the fault of the device, lol)

4. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

The old multieffects are good value, especially if you go for the early topline models
    I bought a Zoom 8080 cheap, I like that it has analog dirt and a loop to add separate dirt boxes etc
    Cheap fun for $60 or whatever, and easier to program than the more compact modern Zooms

[​IMG]

rsm likes this.
  5. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Is the BE-5 the one with the four effects (Comp, OD/Distortion, Chorus and Delay with Noise Gate and a loop)? I used a borrowed one with a Super Reverb for a bunch of gigs years back. I'd gig with one today. Kind of the Fly Rig of it's day.

6. Jose Eduardo

Jose Eduardo Member

Had a BE-5 back in the early 90s. From what I recall, all effects were quite good except the OD/DS

7. JKW

JKW Member

Good to hear they're still usable, dunno how true it is but I heard they have the actual circuits inside for each pedal. I'm looking more at the BE-5 for the ease of use but I'm a bit concerned about how durable it is.

8. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

I'm back on the ME-5 train. Just having a programmable level control on the compressor, before the loop on the EQ and after the loop via the master level adds a ton of functionality for adding drive at different points in the chain.

[​IMG]