1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Old Caps/Old Tubes-their respective noises

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by kbphx, Feb 27, 2006.

1. kbphx

kbphx Member

Is there an audible difference in tone/response for an amp with worn out tubes vs. caps in need of replacement? I'm currently helping a friend troubleshoot a silverface Deluxe Reverb that gets a bit 'farty' when you dig into the strings, and has dropped a bit in output. Shouldn't be a speaker prob, as it has a reasonably new RI Jensen.

2. Damon

Damon Member

This is where it helps to have a couple known good backup tubes on hand. Pop 'em in and if the tone doesn't change, it's something else.

If it's weak filter caps, there's likely to be a noticeable background hum.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What Damon said. Trial and error is often the most effective troubleshooting technique.

If the electrolytic caps are over 15 years old, don't waste time wondering about them, replace them!

4. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

It helps to have another healthy Deluxe to compare things with. Like putting them back to back so you can use the speaker from the other amp to see if maybe the RI Jensen is farting when you use it with a known good working Deluxe and then using the other Deluxe with the speaker from the good amp etc.

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I just have to disagree with this. I'm running a pair of Eico HF20 amplifiers on my hi-fi. Both are using the original capacitors (1957/1958) and they test perfectly fine. That's nearly 50 years old. In my experience the typical failure mode of these things is internal resistance which causes one of two things: (1) internal heating and rupture (2) main fuse to blow.

BTW, if you ever come across an Eico HF20, or two, I would grab it. In my opinion, and others, this is the best sounding low-powered tube hi-fi amplifier ever made. (although admittedly not the best looking!)

DJ