1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

old clean head under $500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mcormier, Feb 7, 2006.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

ok im looking for an old tube head that has pristine cleans that is under $500.. prefferably under $400.. (i said old because the newer stuff would probably be too much moula)

Thanks Maxim

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Look for the old MusicMan heads - great Fender-like cleans. Solid-state preamp, tube power amp (usually EL34).

I like the HD130 heads (Albert Lee still uses 'em), the 65 Reverb, etc...

3. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

i've heard excellent things about early Traynor amps, particularly the Bassmaster YBA-1 heads (45- 50 watts)....maybe someone who owns one can chime in on the overall tone and headroom...?

4. mcormier

mcormier Guest

thanks... ive also heard some good things.. any owners that would like to give their opinion?

5. fancynapkin

fancynapkin Member

carvin x-100b, hands down, a definent sleeper.

6. Matt H

Matt H Guest

hard to beat a bassman50's normal channel for "clean all the way up".

7. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

I'll second this.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Ampeg V2/V4-the loudest clean that's legal (well except for a Marshall major or SVT, and they're a tad more than $500)
    Sunn 100s, 200s, Spectrum or Sceptre
    Traynor YGM-100w
    Fender PA100 (4 channel tube with reverb from the early 70s), possibly a Quad Reverb head
    Roland JC120 Head
    Yamaha T100 (reverb isn't great but the basic sound is cool).

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you're going to go with rare and wierd, Sound City also built a 200w PA head-heavy as sin but clean overhead to rival anything. They're not very desireable so you might score one under $500.

10. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

+1. A true sleeper.

11. AlexF

AlexF Member

re the Traynor question, I had their twin style 100 watt 2x12, it was really a twin front end coupled to an EL34 Marshall style poweramp, great amp. great warm cleans, bulletproof design and manufacture. I just love the way you lift the lid off the amp to service it - no need to pull the chassis, not that it ever needed servicing once I changed the leaking 'stick of dynamite' filter caps!
    Al

12. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Blackface Bassman Head?

13. VanStone

VanStone Member

Peavey Classic 50 head.

V

14. AL30

AL30 Member

Nope. Bassmans get pretty mean at mid to higher volumes. In a really good way.

AL

15. Matt H

Matt H Guest

a blackface bassman might- but not a silverface bassman 50 on the normal channel... woooooboy. those get so loud before the get dirty it's not even funny...

i think the NFB and PI circuit differences between the two make a world of difference

16. Boogs

Boogs Member

Totally. Cleans to die for, headroom out the wazoo, and a particularly lovely reverb. For some reason, they are completely ignored and can go for $300 on eBay...one day people will catch on.

:dude