OLD clip

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Yngtchie Blacksteen, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

Recorded this on the second take, so I was glad I managed to pull it off. Used an Ibanez RG-470 plugged into a Laney head, using some old Korg multi-effects unit.

http://www.soundclick.com/yngtchieblacksteen

Let me know what you think.

2. anyone

anyone Member

Sounds like you have obsessive tendencies for woodshredding.
    Definitely some cool moments in there! Especially for a first recording.
    Muy impresivo.

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

i think its a track that goes absolutely nowhere and listener interest diminishes rapidly,rather than focussing on speed in the playing , I think you need to take a much closer inspection of your vibrato technique and the overall tone was , in my opinion, very lacking . In your instance , Id address the areas of vibrato and tone before Id concern myself with the speed element.

Jimmy:AOK

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Jimmy - he mentioned this was an 'old' clip (besides, your post reads a bit pot/kettle/black, huh?).

5. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Old clip or new; the guy asked for opinions. To say that this track lacks direction and focus is not unfair. The clip as posted would go straight into Mike Varney's trash can after 10 seconds - not saying I could do much better, but I would rather refrain from posting soundclips than putting something as sketchy as this into the public domain.

6. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

it's no one's place to dis you for concentrating on shredding as opposed to vibrato. tone is subjective so no one can really say tone sucked. you could easily dis someone like me who has decent vibrato but couldn't shred to save my life and it would only be your opinion. moving on, rather than tear down your clip like someone else, here's how you could improve it, IMO. I'd turn off the reverb or delay or whatever you have in there that's mushing all the shredding notes together. I wouldn't bother with putting in those few scattered bars of melodies in there, they sound cheesy and at least from my perspective serve only to take up space between shredfests. you wanna do something cool, do 5 minutes of straight shredding with no breaks. that should be quite a workout. good playing too bad you're like 20 yrs too late for the majority of listeners to agree.

7. KHK

KHK Silver Supporting Member

What's your goal for this? If you're just having fun, then it's fine....different strokes. I do agree with Slowburn that the recording sounds a little too processed and homogenized. It has kind of a one tone vibe. Adding different textures would make it more interesting to most ears.
    The vibrato deal is a style thing...some judges take style points off 'n some don't...one thing about vibrato...it's a really good way to add texture to your playing.
    Thanks for posting and keep it up.

8. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

First for being brave enough to post your work (haven't seen much from the self appointed experts here....let's here your stuff so I can evaluate it).

Second for what you've accomplished in what appears (from what I read) to be a very short time of playing.

Third, for biting your tongue while the "experts" evaluated you.

Just a thought here...you know I've met awesome players, awesome financial guys, awesome attorneys, awesome doctors, awesome teachers, awesome scientists....ALL of whom would find some praise for someone who is trying to better themselves in said field. I've never heard anyone do in public to a "lesser" member of their food chain what you here (you know who you are) have done here.

9. mikem

mikem Senior Member

I thought this clip showed some serious chops- I enjoyed it.

Mike

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

The main thing that I noticed was a strong Kirk Hammett influence - lots of similar ideas and phrasing. I'd be curious to a more recent clip over the same backing track to hear how you are developing as a player.

Bryan

11. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

Yes, I've worked on that in the years since I recorded the clip, I feel my phrasing has improved.

Actually, I've gotten very positive feedback everywhere else I've posted this, and at one point it was one of the most played guitar instrumentals on SoundClick. Different strokes, I guess.

It's funny, cause I've never listened to Hammett, so the resemblance would be coincidental. I improvised 90% of it, so I just threw in whatever I could think of on the spot.

I've been thinking of recording a new clip, but I'd refrain from using the same backing track, as I feel it's too monotonous.

And to everyone else, thanks for the feedback.

12. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

to hear that without reverb..and some vibrato...i think you play melodies well..well at least when you want to:):rotflmao

13. anyone

anyone Member

Hey Yngtchie,
    I just stumbled upon your youtoob vids... daaaaaang you've got some cool stuff! Thanks for posting that. Love Lane's interpretation of All Along the Watchtower.
    Don't worry about being 20 years out... have a listen to Unearth, Children of Bodom, All That Remains, and Avenged Sevenfold. Yngwie lives on baby yeah!
    I'd like to hear some recent clips. If my math isn't too fuzzy, your growth has been on quite a prodigious curve.