old country guitar twang artists?

littlemopp

Hey,

I need your help in finding more artists and records of the music style that I like:

I love the sound of these old country records from the 50s/60s with that early guitar twang (think Fender clean and reverb) and the allover old-fashioned sound of the whole records. Mostly I prefer mid- and uptempo songs and don't care for ballads and sad mood songs. I like the whole sound, but the guitar twang is the most important thing for me! For example I like:

Tammy Wynette - Good Girls gone bad
Connie Francis - Lipstick on your collar
Roger Miller - Footprints in the snow

The thing is: I don't know many artists and records from that style. What can you recommend me?

Thank you very much!
Best regards and keep twanging,

Marian

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
"Live at Billy Bob's Texas" - Merle Haggard with Redd Volkaert on lead guitar...it's a modern text book on country twang.

therhodeo

Red Simpson with Gene Moles on guitar
Merle Haggard with Roy Nichols (sorry Redd)
Buck Owens with Don Rich

micycle

The Texas Troubadors! Was just cranking them yesterday, love that stuff. Good thread, I'm keeping an eye on it..

Thinsocks

Silver Supporting Member
I mentioned this on another thread recently, but Phil Baugh's record "Live Wire" from the early 60's is a tour-de-force of hot country guitar styles. Just a Tele into a Fender amp.

Also, +1 on the Red Simpson stuff with Eugene Moles. So cool!

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Man, I really love this kind of stuff. Great thread. It's still so fresh and fun after years and years.

We don't need no stinkin' creamy, smooth sustain. Twang!

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
These aren't "old" but very twangy and very country.

Highway 101. The guitar player's name is Jack Daniels. Very cool guy.

Anything by Southern Pacific in the '80s

Anything by The Hellecasters

littlemopp

Guys, great posts and obviously I'm not alone with my taste here! So maybe others may profit as well!

Keep 'em coming!! :)

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
It's not strictly 50s/60s or straight country but you could also check out Roy Buchanan. He plays a Tele into a Vibrolux Reverb with amongst many other things plenty of 'twang'.

Trending Topics