• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Old Fender 4x12 cabinet ID

fishinjim

I've had this cabinet for about 15 years. Came with a 1980 Bassman 70 head.
Has seen very little real use since the first year or two I acquired it. Only in the past few months has she been put back into action.
Lots of buzzing going on that I didn't remember her having back in the day, so for the first time ever, I took the front and back off to some tightening up.
(Gonna need more than just some tightening up... new baffle and at least one speaker on my to do/get list now).

Funny thing is, I always thought this was a 6x10 cab. Was a little surprised to see 4 12s in there.
Been poking around online and have not seen another 4x12 Fender diagonal cab like this. Curiosity is getting the better of me and I'm wondering just what I have here.

Cab is pine. Baffle and back appear to be MDF. Looks very Fender.
4 32 ohm Fender/CTS speakers in parallel for 8 ohm load. No clue as to wattage on these, but from what I've been able to find, they're likely from either the late sixties or early seventies.

I'm wondering if someone took a 6x10 cab and re-baffled for the 12" speakers.

Anybody out there familiar with this cab and its history? ... if it is indeed in its original state.

Thanks.

Pics...

Tele Wacker

The inside of the cabinet looks sorta like a Fender but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything exactly like this one. Since the dust covers are gone, the speakers voice coils may have picked up some dust or trash. From the back, I see some black close to the red stuff. Does it still have black tolex under the red fuzz. It doesn't looke like a homemade baffle to me. I'm not sure what it is. I don't see it in my Fender Amp book. Maybe somebody else with ID it. Give us some numbers from the speakers. 137---? I have a '68 Fender PA column with four 32 ohm 10" speakers. Do you have any of the original grillcloth for this thing?

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
That's legit, but the fuzzy covering is not original. Those were Fender PA columns from the late 1960s. They had an aluminum badge across the grill that said "Fender Solid State" on it. They came in 4x10 and 4x12.

2guests

Wasn't that one of the PA cabs that Murph and the Magic Tones used in the Blues Brothers movie?

fishinjim

The inside of the cabinet looks sorta like a Fender but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything exactly like this one. Since the dust covers are gone, the speakers voice coils may have picked up some dust or trash. From the back, I see some black close to the red stuff. Does it still have black tolex under the red fuzz. It doesn't looke like a homemade baffle to me. I'm not sure what it is. I don't see it in my Fender Amp book. Maybe somebody else with ID it. Give us some numbers from the speakers. 137---? I have a '68 Fender PA column with four 32 ohm 10" speakers. Do you have any of the original grillcloth for this thing?
That's legit, but the fuzzy covering is not original. Those were Fender PA columns from the late 1960s. They had an aluminum badge across the grill that said "Fender Solid State" on it. They came in 4x10 and 4x12.

Speaker numbers read 108498 137 6850. I was able to find that they are CTS made, but no luck with wattage. I still have two of the coil covers and will reglue them on. The other two were fubar.

Hogy's explanation would make sense as these speakers are likely dated late sixties.

Did not come with the original grill cloth. There is indeed black tolex under the fuzz. Cabinet and head came with the red carpet covering and American flag grill cloths.
The head/cab came from a buddy of mine who did the customizing himself. Time has taken its toll, but it actually looked pretty darn cool 15 years ago.
In the process of trying to track him down... my guess is that he won't know anything about the cab, but I have a couple questions on what kind of mods were done to the bassman head he gave me.

Thanks for the input guys!

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
Speaker numbers read 108498 137 6850.
[...]
Hogy's explanation would make sense as these speakers are likely dated late sixties.
Yes, speakers manufactured 50th week of 1968, so the cabs are early '69.

Google "Fender PA Columns" and you'll see them.

I think the Beatles had a couple of them at the roof top concert, 4x10s if memory serves.

Oatie

It is a Fender PA speaker.
They were originally Black and White Tolex.

I have some of the 4x8 smaller units they used
for the floor monitors. The 4x8 cabs are 32 ohm speakers also.

billyguitar

Sunn made 4x12 guitar boxes like that but I think Fender solid state PA cab is probably the correct answer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom