Old Geezers Lugging heavy equipment to gigs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slayerbear17, Apr 24, 2019.

1. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I was curious of what ages we have here over 40 still lugging 4X12's and tube amps to gigs?

Do you look for opportunity's to down size equipment at certain venues or just say " Hauling heavy gear is the norm"

Me? I,m 43YOM father of 3 daughters still lugging 4X12's and heavy tube heads to gigs. My band mate OTH has a Helix so its light traveling for him and hes more then half my age with no family.

I dont mind, I,d like to think I,m fit, no problem pushing cabs thru 3 feet of snow in winter -30 Celsius. Stairs can be a nightmare but no different then climbing a mountain really....maybe I dunno. Once in awhile but rare do I down size to a JCA22H and a 2X12 cabinet or a 6505+ 1X12 combo.

Maybe I,m just stupid and dumb.

Plexiglass and Roe like this.
  2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

51 here. Gave up my 4x12s years ago. Heaviest amp I have now is a 55lb combo. I also carry the subwoofer for our PA. I downsized that from a heavy 18" sub to a pretty light 12" powered sub.

I'm in decent shape but have a bad back, two hernias, and a knee that's in the process of going bad.

My days of 4x12s are a distant memory.

jamme61 likes this.
  3. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

I’m 38 and I have a bulging disc. I play a 53 lb. head and a 4x12. Believe it or not, this is easier on me. I don’t actually have to lift anything. It all rolls.

4. Lef T

Lef T Member

Although my mind still rocks like a 17 year old,my body is 65.
    My last heavy amp was 5 years ago.
    Twin Reverb.
    It was relatively compact,but I was having trouble schlepping it around.
    Way too heavy and it's gone.
    My last amp was a Mesa Mark V head with a Mesa 1x12 cab.
    Even with the head at 44 lbs and the cab at 40 lbs. it was more than I wanted to be toting around.
    Haven't done the 4x12 stacks since the seventies.
    My preference nowadays is a combo in the 35 lb. range.

LordByron, stratus and Baxtercat like this.
  5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Do you mic your rig? For me that is the norm so I don't really need a tone of volume / girth as backline. I'm 48, I can probably lift more now than in my 20's but I do have sciatica from L5/S1 issues.
    My thing is more about quick setup and easy in / easy out. I can be ready to go in about 5-10 minutes.
    BIG RIG: Fractal AX8 (soon to be even smaller FM3), Powerstage 170, Marshall Silver Jubilee 2x12 loaded with NEO creambacks on casters (a joy to play and even lift!)
    Small rig: Fractal AX8, ALTO TS110a FRFR
    In both cases I take a second output to FOH/IEMs or monitors

Coli likes this.
  6. The Funk

The Funk Member

Almost 42.

No 4x12, but I do lug a 50lb tube amp to gigs. But it does have wheels.

I have recently traded the 60lb pedalboard in for an HX effects. I'm hoping that this will allow me to choose whether to bring a tube amp or not depending on the situation. My plan is to get a tube preamp, and run it through IR's of my amps power section and speaker. Not willing to go all modeling yet. I like tube amps.

7. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

I still mic my 4x12. I’m not trying to blast the front row, just getting enough volume for the mic. I have a great master volume and don’t need a ton of volume. The 4x12 is for convenience. I can also go direct with a load and IR.

guitarbilly74 and Plexiglass like this.
  8. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    No you are not dumb...at least by my standards.
    I did the same thing as you with Marshalls and Diezels, and Mesa Boogies in flight cases for decades.
    At 65, I started feeling the weight, and started downsizing my rig. At almost 71 now, I did it again last year and this year.

Last year, I bought a Marshall Mini Jubilee and love it! I run it through a Marshall 1x12, 1912 cab.

The band got louder to the point that I needed more wattage, so this year I bought a Brunetti Pleximan, and am having a new 1x12 built for it with a Celestion Cream Alnico 90.

Today, I bought $280 worth of cables for it, including 2 Colossal cables and 2 Van Damme cables.

My pedal boards in the '80's were refrigerator-sized racks, and a touring pedal board.

I've pared that down to a Pedaltrain One board with a Volume pedal, wah, tuner, and buffer to the amp input and a Line 6 HXFX for the loop.

I really cannot get any smaller for what I want to hear then this.

Oh, yeah, I tried a Kemper, but that is now just for home practicing with cans.

I have been using a four-wheel dolly for years now, but getting the gear into and out of my SUV and then in and out of the club still means lifting the gear at some points.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    e??? likes this.
  9. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

I will fully admit to taking the easy way out and not bothering with my 4x12 these days.

I think sonically I prefer the sound. Realistically however between small stages shared with backlined gear from headlining acts, the seeming never ending train of grumpy sound guys who shoot you down before you’ve even gotten you cab on stage let alone played one note and the little indignities of loading and loading...

I just ended up with a good moderately loud combo in a case with wheels (Friedman DS40 or Vox AC30).

Load in is a breeze. Just stack it all on top and roll in. The amp still offers plenty of volume. Yeah, sometimes I miss the thump that only a 4x12 drivers but I’m all about making things simple and streamlined. I don’t want to have to deal with anything that will get in the way of having fun when I’m playing.

I’m still too loud.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    ledzep618 and haslar like this.
  10. The Funk

The Funk Member

On a related note, played our first rehearsal last night with a silent system. As a prototype we used in ears with wireless and wired connections for those of use without wireless, and went direct. I used a sansamp with my HX, and my co-guitarist used his amplifirebox in a loop of his ms-3. We all used the same mix. It was a revelation. You could really hear the vocals for the first time ever. Guitar tones were iffy, but I was wearing over ear headphones, so not the best setup, and the sansamp could stand an upgrade. Still, wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.

11. jimpridx

jimpridx Silver Supporting Member

65 here......I gave up my 4x12s in the '80s for 1x12 combo amps, and I'll occasionally use a 1x12 extension cab if I'm playing outdoors at a larger venue. The combos I use today are around 50 pounds.

12. jpurcell

jpurcell Member

69 years old here. We gig 4-6 nights every week. I've had 4 hernia surgeries in the last 20 years so no more Twin Reverbs for me. I've been using the same 66' blackface non-reverb Deluxe, always mic'd and a small Gator pedalboad for years now.

dalezjc, tseliot, LordByron and 4 others like this.
  13. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I use a cart to schlep heavy gear.

14. Pongo

Pongo Member

44 and I absolutely love 4x12s and "big iron" toob amps.

I use them regularly for home fun and recording, but haven't hauled a 4x12" to a gig since the 1990s. Besides the obvious fact that they're heavy and take up too much space, 4x12s provide the following issues:
    • Antagonism: club owners yelling at you to "turn it down!" before you've even plugged in
    • Prejudice: people assuming you're a crappy hair band before you've played a single note
    • Obsolescence: smaller venues don't require anything larger than a combo amp; larger venues will mic you regardless
    Most importantly: I've NEVER received a single comment from anybody in the audience either praising my sweet 4x12 or expressing sadness that I'm not playing through one. If it's not important to them, it ain't important to me.

haslar, sideman, wilblee and 10 others like this.
  15. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

Basically better executed explanation of what I was trying to say.

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

How is the Brunetti working out!
    Any tone comparisons vs. the Mini Jubilee? Is it more versatile for your gigging needs?
    I still have my Jube 2x12 and with casters and the NEO Creambacks it's literally fun to pick up (when I have to) and move around. I think you'll really enjoy the Cream Alnico's (albeit heavier).
    I'm considering another Mini Jube head as a second rig now that I know the cabinet itself is a keeper. The things that I didn't like about the Mini Jube head I can attribute almost 100% to the G12 vintage speakers in the cab.

C-4 likes this.
  17. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I'd always be looking for opportunity's down-size, even if I already have light gear.

CarpathianWhips and LordByron like this.
  18. jbird

jbird Member

53 here with a 100# Mesa Roadster 212 combo...

Plexiglass likes this.
  19. Jaji

Jaji Member

54 here. I use a Mark V head most of the time. I typically run that through a 1x12 with either a EVM12L or a Celestion Redback. I stopped using a 4x12 decades ago. I also haul and set up the PA system. I do have a dolly with wheels, but it isn't always used. Like other's here, I have a bulging disk in my lower back, but my surgeon tells me any surgery would be elective at this point. So that's not happening until several more gigs down the road when I finally blow out my back for good. I do have some lower wattage, and lighter weight amps, but the tone I get from my V is just too good to not use.

Buck Woodson and Lef T like this.
  20. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Im 56.
    4x12...too heavy.
    Changed to marshall 2x12 combo...still too heavy.
    Tried Fender 1x12 deluxe ...not too heavy but required more pedals and stuff to be practical.
    1x12 15w monoprice ...about 25lbs. Its usually all i need and i can be out in 1 trip. I get crybabies whining about guitar volume with the 15w. With a 4x12 all i would hear is sniveling whiners .

I dont miss it....much.

dalezjc, BGReed2 and mudster like this.