Old Geezers Lugging heavy equipment to gigs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slayerbear17, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

+1. The carrying is not the hard part. The lifting in and out the vehicle is the part that gets me complaining about heavy gear. Well, the carrying part is not fun when there is a flight of stairs involved in the load in/load out.

Papanate likes this.
  2. KevWind

KevWind Member

While I am firm believer in exercise Especially as one ages. But for me hauling heavy amps and cabs into a gig is not part of it.
    Especially since a separate head and cab goes along way to splitting the load into two smaller ones. At 69 I am done with heavy combos and luckily also done with gigs that need big equipment.

stratzrus, Alister and Al Rose like this.
  3. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

It's exponentially worse unloading your car at 3 in the morning after spending the last 7 hours at a venue following an 8 hour workday and being awake for 21 hours straight.

Last time I did that I was so grateful for my 35lb combo and a small 12" sub that weighs about 45lbs but packs a mean punch.

dalezjc, Peppy, stratzrus and 3 others like this.
  4. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

Nope, just have to pull it straight out of the trunk and then make sure it gets upright. Never been an issue.

5. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Ahh...I would assume you wouldn't want to be lifting like that.
    Pulling cabinets and amps out of a car truck is classic back injury
    maneuvers.

6. somedude

somedude Member

Getting injured isn’t an excuse for avoiding things. It’s a reason to train hard so you can enjoy life without fear.

7. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

At first I was like heck yeah 4x12's. Then I remembered moving my 80+lb 1960A Hand Wired 4x12 a few months ago. Then I was like

[​IMG]

8. sideman

sideman Member

If I could still play cranked 4x10 Bassmans and Super Reverbs there would be no complaints about lugging them (cause they sound so good). Used them for many years. But during the last decade, as volume levels went down, in-house PAs became common, volume complaints became constant, and a series of overdrive pedals disappointed, I finally threw in the towel -- it's a 1x12 for 90% of work now. You can dial in the right compression and overdrive without complaint, and they sound great. So it's not aching joints that stopped me - it was the need to turn down. Easier lugging is a bonus.

Peppy and es137p like this.
  9. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

Design morons put in a linear master volume pot. I fixed mine with an audio taper version.

George Cabaniss and DemonJr like this.
  10. DemonJr

DemonJr Member

I swapped out the tubes in v1 i think.... and it smoothed out in the slightest. Just not enough. I never did fix the volume pot.

11. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

exactly, I just finished this week, downsizing. Have a couple of Swarts now. Actually use the 5 watt space tone reverb at small bar/restaurant type gigs. As the drummer says, its not your Mothers 5 watts, on that amp though. And a lot easier to move at 1:30AM.

Peppy likes this.
  12. telejammer

telejammer Member

Downsized to a Mesa Fillmore 50 combo for most gigs, some times I'll take the extra boogie 1-12 cab with me if I need a fuller sound. The combo usually handles everything I do with ease.

13. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

54.6 years of age, for guitar, I'm toting a Fender 75 combo right now. I think its around 65 lb? I also occasionally take a twin at 77 lb. Combos, because I obsess on load-in in two trips max. On bass, I'll think nothing of taking a full rig, 700W, 5 ft tall of bi-amp glory.

Plexiglass likes this.
  14. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

15. Nota

Nota Member

Just to reinforce what others have said, you don't have to be old to want a lighter rig! I'm under 40 and my *entire* rig weighs less than most combos! One [easy] trip from car to gig!

Call me a wimp all you want, I love it that way. Makes gigging more fun.

Peppy, ucnick, Lef T and 1 other person like this.
  16. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Nice setup but that 212 (assuming it is the full size recto) is like 60 lbs alone and with only a top handle and no side handles is a bear to move up any stairs if you have to. Thankfully it has a great set of casters on it.

17. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

53 years old, Mesa Boogie TA-30 combo, and I have handcart to help lug it around

LordByron and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  18. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

62 bere. Went from a sfdr to a bella. I'm going the wrong way lol

19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Work smart, not hard. If you do use a half-stack, get a hand-truck anyway. Your back will thank you later.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  20. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

52 and at the moment not gigging. But if I were, I'd bring my Peavey C30 and pedal board first. Second choice would be my Marsh tweed Bassman which is not much heavier (pine cab) than the C30. I do have a few vintage Marshall 4x12 cabs ('78 & '86) I run a DSL20 head at home through. I can't bring myself to sell those cabs cause they look cool in my music room, remind me of fun times past and sound killer at home at low-medium volumes. Plus no one would buy them anyway so what's the sense! Yep, times have definitely changed.