Old Gibson flattops...let's see em!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DerekEstrada, Jan 12, 2008.

1. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

How about some acoustic love? Here's my two favorite acoustics in the world...a late 40's J-45 and a 1963 Country & Western. What are your favorite old Gibson's? They have their own character...nothing like a Martin, or anything else...just sound like a Gibson...and I personally think they're the best looking cowboy guitars :BEER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rastus

rastus Member

Those are real sweet! I like this little 57 LG1-it's my "porch guitar" This pic is from a time when I considered selling it, but I never did.[​IMG]

3. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

What's up with those pearl dots on the Country & Western bridge? :)

You know I still have dibs on that J-45.

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

1968 J-45 Adj.

[​IMG]

5. 59GIBSON

59GIBSON Member

Here are pics of two of my FORMER :NUTS gibson favorite flat-tops. They're considered the ultimate cowboy guitar.

My 1941 SJ-200

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my 1938 SJ-200

[​IMG]

6. hucklebee

hucklebee Member

my God..... all I can say

7. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

This isn't in the same league as the other guitars posted, but here's a '65 B-25 that my dad found in a pawnshop in the 70s.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. UfoPilot

UfoPilot Member

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

10. SGNick

SGNick Member

Seems like there should be a section dedicated to acoustic instruments on the Gear Page.

Oh... wait a second!!!1 lol! Just bustin your balls, Love those guitars! Early Gibson acoustics are Magic! especially when strapped around George Harrison!

11. David Collins

David Collins Member

As much as I'm not usually a big J-200 fan -- holy smokes.

That was a nice one.

30's and 40's Gibson flat tops are it. Martin, shmartin - from about '34, even in to the 50's, I'd take just about any Gibson slope shoulder over almost any Martin dread. I've spent more time studying the nuances of 30's and 40's Gibson flat tops than I have any other instrument, and they are the most incredible mix of wonderful and unpredictable.

It's been in the works for a while, but Eldon, Dan, and Dave have a well expanded second edition of "Gibson's Fabulous Flat Tops" coming out. Last I talked to Eldon a few weeks ago there were some circumstances that stalled the editing, but I'm still hoping they can get it out by next year - we'll see. If you love Gibson acoustics though, their book is a must have.

12. 59GIBSON

59GIBSON Member

Thanks David,

Yes that 41 was probably the nicest one I've come across. I sold it several years ago to fund my 30s Martin phase:(

It's been years since I've spoken with Eldon. If you happen to speak with him tell him Fred Schrager says hello and will look foward to the expanded edition.

13. 59GIBSON

59GIBSON Member

Here's a few more FORMER 30s& 40s Gibsons I've owned and sold:NUTS

1934 Jumbo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1938 J-55 (stairstep headstock)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1940 J-100

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1942 L-00 (maple sides / mahogany back)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1943/44 Maple J-45

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

My #1: A 1933 L00, maple body, with elevated fingerboard. I can play anything on this axe, from fingerstyle to swing. Everyone that plays it wants it!
    [​IMG]

15. David Collins

David Collins Member

Very nice, yet I'm sure a bit sad. The '34 Jumbo, J-55 and SJ-200's seem were probably pretty incredible in particular. I did a some work on a J-55 nearly identical to that one a few years ago, though it had seen rougher times. How many of those did Gary Burnett end up with? :rolleyes:

I have to get in touch with Eldon sometime soon, and I'll definitely mention you said hello. He's retired and doing well, and I have to admit I'm hoping I can work out a pre-release copy of the book from him. ;)

Nice guitars - thanks for sharing.

16. David Collins

David Collins Member

Nice L-00. Actually looks like more '34ish from the burst. Truly excellent guitars. My apprentice is more a mandolin player, but has a '34 tenor version of that (TG-00). 3 piece top, and absolutely incredible sounding.

It's really nice to see more folks starting to really appreciate the L-00. I'm seeing a lot more small builders lately coming out with instruments modeled after those. It's just such a wonderful and versatile guitar.

17. zhivago

zhivago Member

here's my '52 J50...all original apart from the changed tuners...featherweight and HUGE sounding....

[​IMG]

18. 59GIBSON

59GIBSON Member

Thanks again David. Yes, it was a bit sad letting those guitars go. However, my 1938 SJ-200 is still in the area with a
    good friend and I do get to see and play it every so often. Perhaps one day I'll own it again.

After running the gamut on 30/40s Gibson flat-tops and also owning several Martin 30s D-18s & 28s, it was my 1939 D-18 that became my ultimate flat-top. This guitar I still own.

I did get to see Gary Burnette's collection many years ago and it was incredible. I think he had a least one of every 30s/40s Gibson model in sunburst and natural except for SJ-200s. He NEVER liked them. He had several Advanced Jumbos and a J-35 for each year of production.

Again, I will look foward to the new edition of Gibson's Fabulous Flat-tops:dude

19. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

Not really that old but it is killer! It is a beat to $hit '81 J200 Artist.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

Here's my late 60s J-50.

[​IMG]