Old Guys and Technology

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by samarshll, Dec 31, 2017.

1. samarshll

samarshll Member

I have a couple of older friends in their 70's. They haven't kept up with technology. Both have flip phones. Neither texts or emails, except the one guy has a computer at home where he can accept emails. Once he tried to send a group email and couldn't figure it out and called to ask me to do it for him. The other had me go on line and look for a deal on a set of golf clubs and order them for him so he could get a good price. He doesn't own a computer .

Most of us get to a place where we have to pick and choose what tech we learn/ use but these two stopped staying current in the 1990's.

I'd like to hear your stories.

2. time2kill

time2kill Member

The only digital device that my Dad knows how to operate is the TV remote.
    :D

3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I know a guy in his 80s with an Earthlink account who is convinced that the email when he checks the account at the library is different from the email from the same account on his own laptop. He also prints out most of his received emails and stores them in binders.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

A few years back I got my mom an iPhone and paid for her service. I had to teach her to text. Which in retrospect might have been a mistake. She is very good at it these days. :)

My dad on the other hand just can't wrap his head around the whole thing. He knows how to call AAA and home. And he can answer the phone if you call. I texted him 2 Father's Days ago. He still hasn't texted me back. lol

aynirar27, derekd, strike3 and 5 others like this.
  5. clarkram

clarkram Member

I fit the stereotype, I’m a techno idiot, but I can email, and I have a tablet for games.

If an amp has too many knobs I move on.

6. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Local friend is in her early 60s, doesn't own a computer but has a smartphone with IM and email. Recently asked me to locate some vitamins for her on amazon...paid cash the next day, the vitamins arrived in about a week's time.

I usually don't do that kind of thing for chance of getting burned in the deal somehow, though some folks are helpless without computers, therefore...

7. time2kill

time2kill Member

This is a cute video.
    :)

:eek:

Shiro, Doug's Tubes, dougb415 and 8 others like this.
  8. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

When my dad passed away 13 years ago I got my mother a computer, as I was living abroad and wanted to skype her on the holidays. Today she’s a lot better at all of it, although she still calls me when her internet connection drops or she has some unexpected problem at the computer.
    I also got her an iPhone and a data plan, as there are some apps she needs to use. iOS is great for the technologically challenged..

9. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

At my dad's over the Christmas holiday, I was a bit dismayed that after three years, he hadn't learned many of even the basic functions on his bass multieffects pedal.

He did, however, figure out how to get musically useful and interesting sounds out of my guitar pedal board in a matter of moments.

Spec, Peteyvee, Steve Hotra and 2 others like this.
  10. joe_jr

joe_jr Supporting Member

One of the engineers at work needs me to help hook up his multiple monitors every time he comes back from taking his laptop to a meeting.

He's 22, I'm 59. Just sayin'.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Bass multi-FX pedals have no musically useful functions.

Stu Cats, dougb415, pressure and 10 others like this.
  12. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

She really likes touching it. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

samarshll and time2kill like this.
  13. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Not long ago I knew people that if their main email web page GUI was changed they got upset and lost. It's hard to teach them too. They really need to learn on their own by trial and error...kind of like what they use to say to us young bucks back in the day, lol.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    time2kill likes this.
  14. mannish

mannish Supporting Member

It think it's cool that some folks don't feel the need to use a PC or always be connected or be tech savvy. I admire the ones that get by without it. I have a couple friends who will have nothing to do with computers. It's different in the workplace you should have a clue but in general being off the internet or PC or not being up on technology is cool. Last week I told a friend to text me his number cause my phone was at home, he pulled out a flip phone - good for him

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Indeed. My stepfather is 70, and he's forgotten more about computers and technology than I've ever known.

TommyGuitar, derekd, HammyD and 2 others like this.
  16. dave s

dave s Member

Folks don't have to be in their 70s to be out of touch with today's technology. Here's a couple that should blow your mind.

My wife is a USPS letter carrier. Some of her workmates still get paper paychecks and on that every other Friday, run to the bank to CASH their paychecks! One guy's wife comes by on pay day to get his check and cash it. Direct-deposit anyone?

The one guy simply doesn't trust banks. He's in his late 50s. He also uses a flip-phone so his wife can't text him. My wife says he doesn't know how to text anyway. He's never owned a computer, never shopped or made online purchases. Pays for everything with cash and doesn't use a debit or credit card ever.

The whole 'distrust of banks' must have been drilled into these guys brains by really old-school parents at a very young age.

17. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

My friend has a flip phone and has never/will never own a computer.

Have to admire him on some levels.

18. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

I'm turning 65 this year. I worked at a big ten University as the Audio Director for 32 years. Combined degree in music and electrical engineering. I hired EE's to work for me and trained them how to calibrate and maintain the equipment. Used punch cards to program Fortran ca. 1975. Had some of the first Macintosh computers ever built. When digital audio came out, I had the first DAW editing program (1985, Sound Designer) and continued building computers and DAW's until I retired in 2010. I recorded and mastered with Sequoia and used source/destination editing.

My wife is 7 years older than I am and I still have to help her with some things, but I taught her to do a lot on our Mac desktop, laptop, iPad and iPhones.

I taught my mom how to use a computer when she was in her 70's so she could web browse and email.

I consult on high end surround audio/video systems and was running live sound using a 32 channel digital mixing console last year.

Not sure what an "old guy" is to you, but I think I'm still pretty tech savvy.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  19. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

I gotta remember this. Brilliant.

20. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

at even 38 I feel like I'm getting behind. I can wrangle an iPhone and do some simple crap on a computer like email and make a document, but I'm even nervous about something as relatable (here) as buying a Katana, for fear that I won't be able to get the one profile up on it that I want (a grindy fender).
    FFS, if I'm going to get down with it, it's gotta be simple.

Scrapperz likes this.