Old Guys and Technology

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by samarshll, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

We've been getting some renovations done on our house and it feels weird to write checks for the work. But we do still have to pay the exterminator by check, so I still have to fill it out and stamp an envelope once every two months. Yes, it's weird...

derekd and 84superchamp like this.
  2. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Give them time.

derekd likes this.
  3. clarkram

clarkram Member

My last Mesa was a MK III, they went nuts with the knobs after that.

4. JPF

JPF Member

"Toys of Narcissism" - what a great name for a band!

ChorusCrackpot, russ6100 and derekd like this.
  5. Fred Farkus

I've observed this coming from the older generation's view of the younger generation: For example, assuming that some kid knowing how to operate a tablet is technically savvy. It's the old meme of: "If you want to fix your computer call the 10 yr old neighbor's kid."

As for kids having "contempt" or whatever, that's just teenage/20-something attitude. If it wasn't about tech, it would be about music, movies, tv shows, etc.

I'm an EE who has done embedded system (now PLC) software development my entire career. I wrote custom comm protocols of tcp/ip for real time control system command/control back in the 80s. I'm fairly familiar with how tcp/ip networks work.

That said, like someone else mentioned, I pick and choose what new tech I get involved in, and only get involved in what is useful to me. I have a smart phone, laptop etc, don't have much use for a tablet yet, and don't see myself using voice-activation. Honestly, I'm paranoid about the potential big-brother aspects of a proliferation of voice-activated devices around my house, so I don't have them. I don't jump on the bandwagon of every new app that comes out, and am naturally suspicious of apps that want to be my complete solution to anything and everything, taking over the phone, laptop, transparently putting stuff on the cloud. I've had bad experiences with big software packages that purport to be your whole world (however that's defined) over the course of my professional life, so I try to avoid them in my non-professional life as well. The cloud may be a fine thing but I want to know where my data is going when, and have control over it. The PC revolution was all about having a box on your desk that you could control, instead of logging into a mainframe where everything was controlled by a faceless entity. We've gone full circle, folks. So many have willingly subjugated the control of their data to the "cloud" and/or the IT staff, they may as well be running on a terminal plugged into a mainframe.

One more point in this old man rant, then I'll shut up: I'm fairly aghast at the piss-poor quality of software in many of the popular apps today. Facebook appears to have been designed by a 3 year old, with it's horribly inconsistent user interface, as an example. Software quality is at an all time low these days. Bloatware with a lot of useless and annoying features seems to be the order of the day. Make a piece of code compact, efficient, fast, and powerful and I'm all over it (one reason I use Reaper as my DAW). But a good portion of the software out today is just overbloated junk.

So although I embrace a lot of new tech, I filter my adoption of it by a number of different criteria as well.

6. dbx

dbx Member

This...been in tech since punch-cards. I got dissed this weekend by a younger dude at the Home Depot because I didn't have a smart-phone. I think the way smart cells have been marketed to the public is a big foolie on everyone. When I look at my kids' usage, the amount of actual productivity: school related, project related time that is spent vs. seemingly mindless browsing on Instagram and youtube, it's disproportional. There's not a lot of school work being done on those devices. Adding the monthly data plan charges, it's another monthly with dubious value-add for me. If my work required it I would carry it but the company would foot that bill...I'm waiting for DNA storage to become consumer accessible...:rolleyes:

There's always a cost to being on the bleeding edge of tech...I'm not playing that game anymore...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  7. A-Bone

And doesn't something equivalent often swing the other way, as well? Older folks criticizing the tastes of younger folks, and their seeming inability to work on cars and such?

8. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

Those two old guys have inadvertently saved themselves from an enormous amount of needless aggravation.

There are some things about modern technology I like, I have a love-hate relationship with the internet in general... but the plethora of machines I have surrounded myself with systematically drive me nuts.

Then I meet people who coughed up a thousand dollars for a phone and I wonder, "how big a part of your life is that thing?"...

Yes the Katana looks interesting. It also looks like it will be yesterdays technology in 5-10 years and everybody will be dumping it for the next big thing.

time2kill likes this.
  9. Fred Farkus

Yes, contempt always goes both ways between generations. But the point I was responding to still stands I think. That is, knowing how to operate a particular device does not necessarily make you "tech savvy".

derekd, time2kill and A-Bone like this.
  10. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Supporting Member

From a work perspective, if you're an old fart and only know UNIX, Natural, C, Fortran, COBOL, and other old platforms and languages you are still pretty good for awhile since these technologies are still very much in play at a lot of big companies.

derekd, Fred Farkus and time2kill like this.
  11. A-Bone

Totally. Younger folks are as a group more comfortable with using newer technology, but they don't really understand it all that well.

derekd, Fred Farkus and time2kill like this.
  12. boo radley

boo radley Member

In fairness a smartphone is a HUGE part of many people's lives and is practically glued to the hand. And the new, 'contract-free' plans no longer amortize the cost of the hardware so any new smartphone is going to cost $500+ anyway.

I certainly don't like the obsession with the smartphones, but I can't really argue someone wouldn't actively 'use' an iPhoneX more than, say, I use one of my guitars....

derekd likes this.
  13. dbx

dbx Member

Yup...hoping the "rare skills" market still has a place for me when it's time...

"will do JCL for food"

derekd, Tommy Biggs and Dirty_Tones like this.
  14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

OT rant here...sorry.
    Ah!! An engineer after my own heart. FB...OMG...what a cosmically infuriating POS that software is. I only joined (under a phony name) for the purpose of promoting my band (which people convinced me was absolutely essential...and in fact, it does seem to be) and I walk away disgusted every time I have to use it. The designers appear to think that they've created something so easy to use that it requires no explanations or instructions...yet I am continually having to google "help-oriented" questions about how to execute some task or understanding the impact of some feature in its god-awful UI.

15. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

I think a broadband internet connection now is as necessary as a landline phone was during the '50s and '60s. I can't imagine being without it.

Vintage_ and derekd like this.
  16. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Check out the rear panel of a Road King if you like extra swiches

17. wetordry

wetordry Member

55 years old, lived fine before cells phones and email/internet and really can't think of any reason to get wrapped up in it all, especially when some folks seem buried in it almost to an extreme.
    I like mustard too, but I don't want it all the time.

dave s and zzmoore like this.
  18. Fred Farkus

Yeah, it's terrible. I'm in a group where people submit content. One of the admins developed an app that allowed us to access the content like a database, searching and so forth instead of it "scrolling off when it's no longer fresh" like everything else on Facebook. Worked great for a while but they kept changing their app interface layer so often and eliminating capabilities we needed that she finally gave up. She regularly complained about the FB software being a big POS.

19. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

If I could get by without tech I would

20. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

How about Albert Einstein.... does he count? :waiting