Old habits die hard: Fender Mustang-related

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by micycle, May 23, 2015.

1. micycle

micycle Member

Had a gig Thursday night and my Mustang amp is at home as a result.. usually it lives in my band's rehearsal space. I was doing a little noodling through it at respectful apartment volume and just caught myself turning it all the way down before moving it so that I wouldn't get a blast of spring reverb thunder.

:facepalm

Maybe they can incorporate that into the next firmware update just to provide the true tube amp/spring reverb experience!

MetalGuitard and patriot7 like this.
  2. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

I had an old Fender Stage 90 that had the built in reverb I would hear shake every time I set it down. To this day, I set my Fender Mustang down super gently so I don't mess up the reverb. I know them feels; even if they're slightly different.

micycle and MetalGuitard like this.
  3. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

My first "not so impressed" gig happened last night with my Mustang IV but it wasn't the ambient sound of the amp. The stage sound was it's usual awesome tone and feel but the direct out really disappointed me when I went out front a couple times dancing with patrons and heard it. It sounded very digital and fizzy. Must have been my Touchmix eq settings or something because I used a factory preset. I may just mic it from now on though to be safe.

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

For live situations mic'ng is the best way to go!

5. dazco

dazco Member

I have a flow chart for he mustang and i don't know why they do it like this, but the XLR outs bypass both cab sims and master volume. So you probably had too hot a signal to the PA's input and distorted it, plus no cab sim can be quite nasty depending on the sim and how you eq the patch. For example, if you EQ for a dark sim then run it w/o the sim it will be tons of top end making it really harsh w/o the sim.

You can go into the utility menu and turn the line out down. It's probably already set low but you may wanna try going much lower. I think it's at 19% by default. On the other hand maybe it got jacked up. Are you the first owner, and if so, was the amp locked from saving your setting when you got it? If it was used or a store demo and it was unlocked in the utility menu by a owner or at the store (or sold them returned) someone could have set it to a hotter DI out level. On a side note, the headphone out has both he master and cab sims in it so you may want to try that.

6. dazco

dazco Member

Here ya go...

[​IMG]

7. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Interesting. I have not used the xlr out on my MIII live yet, but did some recording with it through the xlr out & it sounds fantastic.
    I didn't know it bypasses cab sims.

8. jlagrassa

XLR out does have the cab sim but no master volume, I use the XLR out into my computer and sounds fine for recording you can definitely hear the change when trying different cabs

9. jlagrassa

This Diagram is for the 2 FX loop options!

10. dazco

dazco Member

Looking closer, maybe so but apparently you must use the right channel and have the looper setting on "looper" w/phones disconnected? Kinda hard to understand exactly what that chart is saying, but thats how it looks to me. So if he was using just one XLR out and it was the left, no go. If right, only if the looper was set like that. Maybe you changed your settings in utility? Not sure whats going on but theres the chart for anyone who wants to decipher it.

11. jlagrassa

I just tried both XLR outputs with the 2 different loop modes and cab sim is always present, the fx loop send definitely has no cab sim thats a fizzy mess!

12. dazco

dazco Member

Weird, well maybe i'm reading the chart wrong due to those added notations. In any case it still could be the signal hitting the PA being to hot. After all, he's using the XLR's that are going to the PA which are mic inputs and fat too sensitive for a line signal. Don't know what PA of how he used it so no way to know but theres got to be a reason he got that sound, but i would definately try playing with the level in utility and maybe a different input or use a XLR>1/4" cable and go into a line input. Maybe an impedance issue. I can't believe fender would allow the DI to be so horrible.

13. jlagrassa

The DI is not bad at all, I have tried it with my band and no fizz issues. I left it at 20% you just have to make sure you set the channel gain on the mixer to keep it from getting to hot then EQ to taste.

Who made that diagram was it Fender?

14. micycle

micycle Member

I've found in situations where I'm using an amp like this direct live you're at the mercy of whoever is at the board which can be awesome and not so awesome. I prefer to go the mic route - almost always ends up sounding good simply because I know the sound I'm feeding into the mic. Regardless of how good or crappy a direct sound is it tends to be too much of a contrast from the live amp and distracts me.

15. dazco

dazco Member

I think so but not sure. It came from the official fender forum.

16. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Well I've used it before live and the DI sounded great. Last night it did not. I was using just powered Mackie Thumps as opposed to what I would usually use in that room which is a passive tops/subs set up with QSC power amps and my Touchmix. I did that because I was in a bit of a rush and didnt allow myself enough time to be able to set that system up.

Also I've decided that I am going to scale my sound system to the $$ we get paid.

17. micycle

micycle Member

If I did that I would only need to bring a ukelele!

MONSTER ZERO likes this.
  18. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

HAHA! Yes I hear that for sure.

19. dazco

dazco Member

You beat me to it !