Old Kay Archtops?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chucke99, Sep 7, 2008.

1. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I just scored this little beauty from a Goodwill auction site, and it's surprisingly well made, with a great sound, both clean and dirty. Does anyone else have a little gem like this one? I don't know whether I can gig with it because of the feedback worry, but it certainly is earning a place plugged into my practice amp near the couch and TV.

No markings other than the sticker on the headstock, but I've owned another Kay with that sticker and same pickups, and was able to date that one to 1961 by the pot codes. I don't know what model this is, but the number 6533 is inked on the wood inside of the guitar. It's got Kluson deluxe tuners also, which I think are stock.

If anyone knows any more about this guitar (or others like it) I'd love to hear about them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I have a couple Kay archtops from the 50s. Both have the same body- 17" wide with cutaway. One is acoustic and one has a pickup by the neck. The acoustic is a K-1. The electric has the same neck but with block inlays. The headstock says Congress. I don't know if the model is a Kay Congress or if Congress is a house brand. Both guitars play well and sound really good. I use the acoustic for acoustic rhythm parts when I record.

3. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

It looks like a late 50s/early 60s Kay Value Leader. I have a Kay Galaxie with a single kleenex box pickup from the same era. Mine needed a neck shim to get the action under control; but, other than that, it's a very nice guitar.

[​IMG]

4. sinner

sinner Member

Nice score, Chucke!

Looks like the same D'Armond pickup I have in mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funny how it looks pretty good from the back. Mine didn't have the Kay logo, I added old Robert Johnson to bless the guitar.

The D'Armond sounds very clear in this little gem!

5. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

Here is one of my Kays, on the left.
    [​IMG]