Old Marshall help needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fe911, Feb 29, 2008.

1. fe911

fe911 Supporting Member

I went to look at an old Marshall Stack yesterday. The price isn't collector, but it isn't chump change either.

The Serial number was scraped off, one cabinet didn't have a back cover, and the other didn't have the plate stapled on. Looks kind of like it was hot a while back. It was a 100watter, the serial number was s/b..... scraped. The "super lead" on the back Was "Super" then "lead" on a gold sticker. All I did was take off the back cover, and saw it had an upright power transformer,missing one side of the bell?-leads coming out a hole in the other, which I thought they didn't use (uprigt) until '70?, Siemens el-34's MMMMM! All blue Erie cap cans. The chassis seems all original(no extra holes), except the ohm selector is a longish flatish? chicken-head looking thing. Never seen one on a marshall, but looked to be old and dirty enough to be original. I mean this thing was dirty!!! Cabinets were well worn, but I've had newer that looked much worse. Literally toured around the world, with pics to prove it. Owner has had it since the late 70's I'll post pics when I get my camera, later today. Sounded like God him/herself had a help in putting this monster together. Not as loud as I thought it would be, to get it sounding good, my old Super reverb had to be near earsplitting levels to get inspiration!!!

2. fe911

fe911 Supporting Member

3. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

From the little I have to go on the transformer with the missing bell is likely a lay-down set on it side, it has the added brackets. Both of the transformers look replaced too clean and while that should not be a deal breaker replaced output transformers significantly reduce the resale value. The American importer often put the "Lead" sticker on Bass models with a tweak as they sold better. You need a gut shot to see if it is PTP or PCP.

4. 4styx

4styx Member

I used to have one exactly like that(only way better shape).It was a 69 1/2,had the same fabric tube retainers.But what really matters is the sound,if you like it,buy it.

5. fe911

fe911 Supporting Member

It was a little bit of wrangling just to get him to take the back cover off. Let alone take the chassis out. From what I've seen of the marshall pics the output transformer looked right, it just came out bright with the picture. Not a very good camera, no lights in the room. I really wanted to dust off the assembly sticker, but he was a little cranky and thought I was just a tire kicker and didn't have the money. Even though I brought my new Custom shop '68 LP with original t-tops in it to try out. ****, I almost had to pry the thing out of his hands when I left. I just don't know about the power xformer, I've seen some pics of 69-70's with them??? There is about 1/4" of dust on top of the chassis, original two-pronger. He said he's had two of the el-34 sockets replaced, plus new tubes( a long time ago, not played much since then), and he himself put a new indicator lamp on it from radio shack. Every thing else he says is stock and how he got it.
    Any ideas about the chicken head ohm selector?
    Either way it is a full stack with 4 original g12m20's and the other eminence alnico. 3 grand for this full stack? Think it's worth it?

6. 4styx

4styx Member

If you can sell one of the cabs for $1000,yes.

7. fe911

fe911 Supporting Member

I doubt I could in the condition they are in. I'd have better luck selling the speakers by themselves. If they are what he says they are, which so far is questionable.

8. V846

V846 Member

that chicken head ohm selector is stock , I've only seem them on 69-70 heads and the woven tube retainer didn't last much past than time though I'm not sure the exact point Marshall went to metal retainers

need more pix

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

I'd have a problem with it not having a serial number.

10. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

$3k is decent for a 1971 full stack, with all those changes.