Old Marshall ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JackButler, Jan 2, 2008.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I believe '73 MKII 50 watter, minty everything, all stock.
    Date code has the E, so that tells me 1973, right? My question, what year was it that they stopped PTP?
    This worth $2k?
    Large box, I am pretty sure it is the printed board.

2. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

Yup, "E" means 1973. If my info is right I think somewhere in 73 they went to circuit board from point to point. Yours could be either.
    I'm curious as to the value myself. I'm trying to buy a 1971 50 watt. If I get it it will be for around $2000. I'm still not 100% sure I want to spend that much for it. It does sound good though!!

I saw a 68 50 watt go for $4000 on ebay a while back!@!!

I've also seen 73's listed from $1500 - $3000.

For what it's worth the one for $1500 sold.

The $3000 one didn't. :D

3. JackButler

The thing still has the orginal tubes I believe, at leats they are Mullards. Mint.
    I'll have to pull the chassis when I check it out and see if I should snag it.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

2nd half of 73 they went to PCB. It all depends on condition and originality. So if it is an early 73 $2k or better in perfect condition, if it is late 73 $2k or less in perfect condition.

5. JackButler

6. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

If it's as mint and as original as you describe, it's worth 2K IMO. Even if the amp is not PTP, I wouldn't let that keep you from considering it. Those early cicuit board Marshalls are NOTHING like current Marshall circuit board amps (the components are HUGE) and sound just as good as the PTP amps IMO.

I have an early '73 50 watt Bass head and it's one of the best Marshalls I've owned or played. I've owned a fair number of the boutique Marshall inspired amps as well (most of which cost 2K or more) and NONE of them have sounded as good as my '73 to my ears.

I'd grab it! :AOK

7. JackButler

Thanks for the words.
    I'm just on the fence with it being that much if it has the pcb.

8. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I have a 71 Super Lead 100 serial #00004 very early 71
    and a 74, the 74 sounds just as good as the 71.
    They are superior to any of the hand wired reissue Marshall's.

9. Twangzilla

Twangzilla Member

73 was the year for the change, my 73 is PCB unfortunately but still a great amp. I think I paid $650 for it a few years ago. :D

If its mint and sounds good it is worth every penny at 2K.

10. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

July 73 Marshall went to PCB...but, as mentioned they are very close to a PTP board and the circuit is the same...$2K is a bit steep.

11. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

The problem is not the PCB. In this case, the PCB was really just a place holder for the components. The traces just go from the caps/Resistors to the edge where the wires can attach and go to the tube sockets or transformers. The BIG difference between between an early and late 73 is that some of the components changed at the same time they switch to PCB. I think the coupling caps changed, as well as a few other caps/resistors. This caused the amp to loose its large open sound. If you buy a PCB version and switch these few components for the earlier ones, the amps will sound virtually identical. (I think there was 5 or 6 different component changes at the time the PCB was introduced)

JD

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Don't buy a mint 74 and change components. If a trace lifts you just threw $1000 out the window. If it is mint leave it alone if it is already modded you won't pay 2k for it mod to your heart content.

13. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, would you happen to know which components?

14. JackButler

Good info all around, keep it coming.

15. Twangzilla

Twangzilla Member

My 73 has a large open sound and it's PCB. I don't think it needs the mods.:confused:

16. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The early PCB amps are identical to the last turret-board ones, except for the boards. Same components - they did use different types both before and after, and there was a progressive change through the 70s, but most '73 PCB amps I've seen inside have exactly the same cap and resistor types as '73 turret-boards. They are one of the best examples of why the type of construction does not matter.

Both types vary quite a lot tonally, the turret-board ones a little more so I think, and although I have a sort of general feeling that the turret-board ones do sound a little better on average, it's very close and certainly easy to find a particular PCB one that sounds better than a particular turret-board one.

For some reason the best-sounding ones I've come across have all been later PA models converted to Lead specs (partially or fully)... I have no idea why, it's probably just chance.

17. JackButler

He thinks it is PTP, he said there was none of that computer silver-type stuff in there. Mullard on some of the things in there.
    Inspected 7-9-73 Rosemary
    I am going to go see for myself hopefully early next week.
    Thing is, isn't it likely it would need capped?
    What specifics should I look for or listen for?
    Thanks

18. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

If is indeed a clean turret board Marshall .. 2k is a fantastic price. Even if is PCB it is still fair. I have a good bit more than that in my 71. These things are pieces of history IMO

19. JackButler

Anyone possibly have a few pics of both types, expecially of what a clean PTP should look like?
    I know what they look like, but I could send the pics to him and have him make sure before making the hike.

20. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member