Old Mesa Mark III bluestripe just KILLs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teveinsene, Feb 21, 2012.

1. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Wow, my new to me mark III bluestripe has just blown me away the past 2 days plugged into an avatar contemporary 212 with vintage 30s. Time to sell the mark v and get a pt100 or royal atlantic to complement the mark III. Lead channel is real similiar to lead channel on the mark V but sounds more raw if needed or can be dialed back and sounds more organic than the v to me. Seems like more low end also and the sounds thumps you in the chest moreso than the V. Anyone have any other speaker recommendation for this.

2. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

I found I liked the GB's with MK3's and the Vintage 30's with my MK4..

3. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

One thing odd to me about this thing is how the effects loop on the 20 some year newer mark V seems to suck a bunch of tone to the point I won't even use it. Maybe somethings wrong (I don't know) but the loop on the much much older mark III does not seem to suck any tone with the deep blue delay I've been running thru it. Very very odd, just don't get this, how could the newer one be inferior. I think its a conspiracy lol, some of these amp builders put sucky effects loops on their amps so you don't wanno use them, they can't stand the thought of someone coloring the original tone they created, nah just kidding...but maybe!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  4. Lance

Lance Member

Have you tried a Tube Screamer into the front end, yet? These amps jut love a good TS. I use a Maxon Sonic Distortion in mine, with the gain cranked. Put the volume knob on 10, and push the clean channel with the TS, and watch your eyes light up! As far a speakers go, I am pretty happy with the EV Black Shadow that came in my combo.

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Ironically on another forum a guy is selling his mesa mark III red stripe and keeping his mark V, mainly for versatility he says.

Mesa mark III's are some of the best values in used amps these days. Does your mark III have the R2 mod, EQ, simuclass, reverb, etc?

6. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I was about to buy a Mark V. Do you really think they stink? Mark III's have a lot of high end which can make other things in proximity sound dull.

7. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Supporting Member

I've said it a few times here now, but man, the clean channel (R1) LOVES pedals and built like a tank is a total understatement.

8. Lance

Lance Member

Don't pull the bright switches, and it should be fine. I have never played a Mark V, but the Mark III is just astounding, for me. A lot of people don't like them, but I looooove mine. I think the greatest thing the Mark V has going for it, that the III's don't is power scaling. I have never been able to run a Mark III at a gig in Simul-class mode. It's always Class A. Well, there was one time I got to, and it was the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced. The blossoming feedback threshold is to die for. But that don't happen unless you are quite loud. Class A seemed to be just right for the volume cops.

9. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Simulclass, reverb and eq but no R2 mod. The Mark V is certainly more versatile if you like the 3 modes on channel 2 and they are all three definitely something different in themselves. But I don't care for any of channel 2, sounds very boring to my ears, but I'm sure others love it, just not me, and the clean on the V is very, very good to my ear (better than the III) but I don't play alot of clean. So for me beings that I love the lead channel most and at a third of the price of a Mark V the III makes perfect sense. So it comes down to how versatile you want it to, for great versatility get the Mark V at 2 to 3 times the price depending on new or used.

10. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

No the V does absolutely not stink and is more versatile for sure, read my post before this about the versatility. Also My V can get a little lower volume and sound good if trying to play at bedroom levels. And the high end can easily be dialed out on the III with the presence, I'm running the presence very low at about 1-2 (not like a clock). Same with the V I run that presence very low also. Also the degree of variance in the eq on the V has been toned down quite a bit compared to both the III and IV.

11. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Actually to be a nitpiker I would not call it powerscaling, yes you can set the channels of the mark v to 90 45 or 10 watts and at that those setting you can switch the variac switch down for less voltage. The lead channels on the III, IV, and IV are all very similiar I just seem to like the lead channel on the III and IV better (don't have the IV anymore so cannot compare it directly to the III).

12. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

13. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

After another 2 hours of playing this loud tonight I can see now that the lead channel is warmer sounding than the mark iv and v. All similiar but not as similiar as originally thought now that I have some more time with it. Sweet amp for sure, definitely a keeper. Good deal for $700:rockin

14. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

I love my Mark III blue stripe. It doesn't even need pedals. All three channels are killers!

15. macboog

macboog Supporting Member

I have a III, IV, and a V. They are all great amps, all similar and all a bit different in what they can do. The V is the most versatile and probably the best at bedroom volume and country clean and it contains the MK I and IIC+ voicings - both of these are really fun. Oddly, the III has the most twin-like clean of the three - very woody sounding, the IV has an 80's-like hyper clean and versatile rhythm 2 (most people don't like this channel, but I have a used it effectively for blues soloing and as a pedal platform as a slightly gainy channel), and the IV has a killer espressive lead channel, somewhat compressed, but beautiful at louder volumes. I like them all and would recommend any of them for players interested in the Mark series tones. I agree that III's and IV's at the right price are a great deal right now!

16. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Since you've had the V, do you think that it has broken in at all?