Old Ovation Solidbodies

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by showofhands, May 21, 2008.

1. showofhands

showofhands Member

I've been jonesing for an Ovation Viper or Breadwinner, but I'm having trouble finding detailed specs. I'm specifically curious about the body wood on the Viper models, as there are several on the 'bay at the moment and I'm starting to think I'm a mahogany kind of guy. I don't know what it is about those ugly old guitars from the '70s that I love so much, but axes like the Ovation Viper and Gretsch Beast are my latest obsession.

I often read that these guitars (the Ovations) are very underrated. Can anyone here testify to that? Comparisons?

Thanks!

2. r_cressw

r_cressw Member

I played a Viper in a shop in Boston and loved it... The only problem I could see with it is that it was so outrageously bright. I mean seriously, that thing made teles sound muddy.

The Breadwinner is an oddball shape but the one I played (despite a terrible setup) was very comfortable. Sorry I can't offer more in terms of specs, but that's pretty much my experience.

3. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I think the breadwinner is where the klein guitars got their body shape.

4. DavidE

DavidE Member

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I had a Viper III for about 10 years. I always assumed it was maple. It was heavy and awkward with the long 2 octave neck. Pickups were crappy as well. I truly do not regret getting rid of that one.

Obviously, just my opinion. I would spend my money somewhere else.

6. showofhands

showofhands Member

7. showofhands

showofhands Member

You're right--I just learned that they're maple. The Preacher and Breadwinner models are both mahogany, apparently. If I go the Ovation route, I'll focus on those. They do all look a little unruly and awkward, though. Maybe the best thing would be if I just moved on to next week's guitar infatuation a little early.

8. treeofpain

treeofpain Member

I had a Preacher Deluxe several years ago. It playes really well, and I don't recall it being overly bright. But it did not sound like a Les Paul either.

9. zoso19

zoso19 Member

My brother has an ovation GP from 1980 which has one of the best necks and one of my favorite shred sounds ever. Also, an old hollow body from 67, really some of the smoothest and nicest sounding pickups ever in a non-wood form or even wood form

10. Brock

Brock Member

My buddy had a viper and a off set double cut Les Paul type thing that was pretty decent. Viper was extremly bright. Screamed!!!! The Les Paul type one was like the one that "Kings of the stone age" singer plays.

11. TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc Member

but looks cool with paisley ruffled shirts, no? :)

12. showofhands

showofhands Member

That's what counts!

13. blood5150

blood5150 Member

OP, I just saw a white breadwinner in great shape at an antique mall in Florida... its call Webb's Antique mall in case you wanted to call them....

It was in the Lake City, FL location...

http://www.webbsantiquemalls.com/

14. Jignant

Jignant Member

This is a NOS Ovation Deacon Limited (one of 500 made) that has been in it's case and under the bed so to speak for 30 years now. I dug it out about six months ago and put some batteries in the preamp. It IS bright as hell. I never use it but it came from Dad's guitar shop so it will never go. The extra bout cut in the upper body (in my opinion) makes this guitar look a LOT better than it's standard Deacon or Breadwinner relative.

Mahogany body and neck, 24 fret, active pickups and VERY stiff volume and tone pots. Did I mention that this guitar is tonally VERY BRIGHT...;)

[​IMG]

15. Jignant

Jignant Member

Here is some young kid playing the guitar in his Dad's guitar shop around 1979....

Van Halen RAWKS!!!!:roll

[​IMG]

16. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Another down side of the Viper, at least, is/was the pickguard mounted input jack. I cracked the pickguard very early on by stepping on the cord. The above picture looks like it has the same set up.

17. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Way to pull off that D chord man....:phones

18. Jignant

Jignant Member

It was ALL first position chords back then...

19. zoso19

zoso19 Member

It's Josh Homme From Queens of the Stone age and yeah, that's what the GP i was talking about is, jus ridiculous

20. george4908

george4908 Member

Wait a minute -- your Dad owned a guitar shop? His name should be entered in the "Coolest Dads Hall of Fame."