Old PH1-R. Should i ditch..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by el34power, Jul 31, 2006.

1. el34power

el34power Member

I bought an old PH-1R with silver screw and stamped batch code 0100.
    I have been thinking of unloading it and going for an EVH....Reason being is that the only time i would use it is to do a few VH tunes we do... and have it moded for TBP. I haven't played the EVH and wondering....

2. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

You're talking about two different effects. I have both a PH-1r and a Moon Phaser on my board. The Moon phaser is somewhat MXRish - chewy and pretty sounding. The PH-1r is smallstoneish. With the speed set to slow, it gives you a blowing wind sound that takes over everything and works well to create a certain atmosphere.

If you're looking for something more subtle, then MXR would be the way to go or better yet -- Red Witch.

3. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

If you decide to sell your PH-1r, contact me.
    I love that phaser.
    Even though I have a Maxon PH-350 (also love it), I couldn't get rid of the 1r.

You can contact me at hillbillymark AT lycos DOT com

4. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

I'd keep it - it's a great phaser. if you're looking for an MXR-esque pedal, take a look at the Retro-sonic...

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

If I wanted to buy a PH-1r type phaser but couldn't find one, what would I be best with going? How's the PH-2?

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Totally different. It's a more intense but thinner sounding pedal - doesn't have the 'organic' fatness of the PH-1R.

I also totally disagree that the PH-1R is like a Small Stone but not like a Phase 90. It can do both, depending on how you set it. I had an absolutely dead-mint early block-logo Phase 90 a while ago, and decided to sell it because the PH-1R could exactly duplicate the sound - I set them up together via a Boss LS-2 A/B loop-switcher and with the PH-1R set right, it was not possible to tell which one was turned on (except that the Boss didn't overdrive when played hard with a humbucker guitar like the Phase 90 does - it does have a slight volume boost when turned on but I equalized that with the LS-2's level controls).

The PH-1R isn't perfect - it's a little noisy and does have that slight volume boost which some may find annoying - but it's still my favorite all-round phaser ever, and well worth keeping looking for... they're not all that rare or too expensive.

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Thanks John! Now what do I kick off my board to put a phaser on? :messedup

8. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

I have a PH-1r that I have been using since I have been playing and that's a long time. Built like a tank. I use it for funky, disco type sounds as well as smooth stuff. It's a keeper, kicks the crap out of most other Phasers. The only problem is that it is not true bypass, so I use a Loop Master (solves the tone sucking).

ROCKON:JAM
    NEVER FORGET THE 60'S:JAM

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

The Boss PH1r is my favorite phase pedal. I like it more than my script logo bud box MXR Phase 90.

10. mustangman

mustangman Member

I love the PH-1r, my favorite phaser of all time. i had one at one point and i was stupid and sold it! well if you decide to sell, let me know.

11. el34power

el34power Member

Yikes!...I guess i better keep it. I have a 4 loooper with an empty slot...
    Thanks for the advice all.:AOK