Old Philips 6BQ5/12AX7 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shark_bite, Sep 13, 2008.

1. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Tube nuts, I need your help!

So I've had this Traynor for a while now, a YBA-2B Bass Mate. I got an opportunity to buy a Goodsell Custom 33 recently for a ridiculously good price, so I've decided to sell a few things and the Traynor was one of the pieces I put up on CL for sale. I got an email back from a guy asking about it, and he asked what tubes were in there. I vaguely remembered it had the original Philips tubes (2 6BQ5s, 2 12AX7s) and the amp is a 1973 model. He just shot me an email back telling me that the tubes are worth just as much as the amp and that I should put them up on ebay instead. So, now I have a couple questions, as old/NOS tubes are admittedly foreign territory for me:

1) Is he right?
    2) What do you think they would sell for?
    3) What would you do?

Right now I'm considering running down to Twin Town and picking up a new set of EL84s to sell with the amp - they shouldn't be that expensive and being that it's a cathode-biased amp they should just pop right in and go, right? And then after that putting the old ones up on ebay.

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

They aren't NOS if the have been used. NOS means New Old Stock. That means in the box, never been used, no issues.

What you would have would be considered used pulls with 30 years of guitar use. Not worth that much unless you want to try and defraud someone.

3. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Yeah, they're definitely not NOS, but they're also not that used. This amp sat in a closet for most of its life.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What they said. "Original" tubes from a 30 year old tube wouldn't be worth a lot. If you're VERY lucky and they tested as new they might be worth about half of what new ones sell for if bought from someone with test equipment and a good reputation selling tubes.

Sounds like at least 2 strikes so far, so sell them with the amp and don't look back.

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Used is used (even Almost New Old Stock. ANOS is just a polite way to describe used tubes that test well. Still used though). There is no definition for not very used. NOS is NOS. The only other option is a dead tube.

6. 57esquire

57esquire Supporting Member

I would keep the old tubes and use them in your Goodsell for variety. They are great 12ax7's if they test good.