Old pitch machine

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by mentoneman, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

[​IMG]

just scrolled through a bit of the factory presets
    nothing is leaping out at me yet and it begs to be placed in series with a verb/delay box which i will do soon

Next question:
    Pick one,

Roland SDE-1000
    Yamaha D1500
    Boss VF-1

and why

2. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

None of them.
    Why?
    If it has to be a japanese DDL I'd go for the Yamaha D5000. One of the best digital delay workstation ever made... and cheap now. Check it out.
    If it has to be a cheap Boss multi-fx... the SE-70 has no competition and the VF-1 failed at replacing it. Just waaaay above it.

3. bosetuno

bosetuno Member

That photograph of an IPS33 over an Eventide H8000... Like having a pocket calculator behind your laptop...

I dont see why you would use it having the eventide.

4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

You are being VERY forgiving in that definition, Sir!
    :thud

5. bosetuno

bosetuno Member

6. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

it's a $50 experiment.

the h8000 isn't mine to keep, just a loaner.
    i'm looking at one of the most unique sonic features of the h8000-pitch shifting.

in the 80s-90s guitar rack golden era it was the eventide claim to fame. you didn't buy a h3000 for delay, that is what a 2290 was for. i have a korg dl8000r to handle that catagory currently.

you didn't buy eventide for reverb, lexicon pcm70 handled that. i have a pcm 80.

chorus?
    1210 or tristereo. i have a gforce which isn't a 1210 but it is a tc family product with chorusing that when dedicated to that task does a decent job. and the chorusing in the korg and pcm are awesome as well.

so what ground is left to cover? pitch shifting. the gforce does it but not in a super impressive way. the pcm80 does a great job at it but still not eventide level sound and control.

but it's a very specialized effect and not so critical or mandatory in my normal (or the average player's) tone world. and having mixed foh sound since 87 i can recall an octave shimmer sound coming into vogue enough to now most reverb and delay pedals have it built in, a 12 string sound being replicated with some boss pitch and chorus pedals, or an octave down heavy patch being used on occasion, some digitech whammy pedals, and a few POG pedals that i have heard in use in that organ/pitch capacity in that amount of time. definitely not enough for the average player to justify the cost of owning an H8000.

i got my pcm80 for around 450 and both dual fx and pitch cards for an extra $100. did the memory and eprom upgrade and replaced the old battery with a new one in a new easy to replace battery compartment for another $100 maybe. total $650

got the korg dl8000 for about $400

bought the gforce new the year after it came out for $650

total $1500

i think zach got his h8000 for $4000 and my friend bought his H8000 for a screaming deal at $2200

not to say the verb and delay and the possibilities of routing and multiple effects aren't outstanding in eventide gear. the options are endless, the sound quality is amazing, and if you were looking for an all in one effects box the H8000 would be the most option laden.

but the ips33 is simply a glimpse into rack pitch shift history for me for $50

looper309 likes this.
  7. sahhas

sahhas Member

I had an ips33 about 8 years ago I liked it for weird sounds, I got mine cheap

8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

You would be amazed at knowing that in many guitar racks of those days:
    the PCM70 covered delays and chorus... a lot
    the H3000 covered chorus or delays or reverbs
    things were not always as HRI fans wanted them to be...

A glimpse into rack pitch shifting?
    I would look into some better unit... unless priority is the 50 bucks thing.
    If you like Eventide for pitch work, there are so many 4000 series out there (DSP/GTR) that should run MUCH cheaper than an 8000 and give you that kind of tone, openness, flexibility and magic.

9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

you don't know how many times i almost jumped on an h3000 or eclipse over the years
    when i bought that 2290 i had the option to buy a 1210 for $750 and/or an eclipse for $800 but went with the 2290 which ended up being defwctive and by the time that got sorted out the 1210 and eclipse were gone.

that close...

10. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Yep....
    the 4000 Clearmountain Delay is just unbelievable.
    filter > mono delay > 4 detuners
    Thick delays for days!
    I'm working on it, using two PCM80/1 for the right patch.
    Can't do on the H3000. Possible on the Eclipse.

11. bosetuno

bosetuno Member

I have a ips33. It’s detune is quite nice indeed. And it’s harmonizing capabilities are quite amazing for such a cheap thing

Man with Gas likes this.
  12. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

I still have an IPS-33b, which is generally thought to be a big upgrade to the non-b, though I'm not greatly aware of how.

I keep it around because it's not at all bad at what it does, it's easy to use, and I like the string modeler patch. Means I can still use the 'Tides for other stuff (those delays and reverbs Italo mentions, among other tricks) if I just need a little pitch, harmony, or detune. I could make a healthy profit flipping it, but it's still more fun then most things that money would buy.

13. looper309

looper309 Member

Give the man a break. That IPS33 is just so...Devo. Are we not men? :eek:

14. bosetuno

bosetuno Member

The b is quite a different beast. The non b is quite basic, it just create harmonies, pitch shifting and some detuning. The programmability is basic, just the scale to use, the intervals and the base note. You cannot even program mix level, and it’s midi implementation just moves you through the presets. However, as simple as it is it just does what it does well