• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Old-school all Boss pedalboard

Kurt L

A few weeks ago I posted about an all Digitech pedalboard I assembled.

This time around it's an old-school all Boss board!

I started off with a Boss BCB-6 board I've had lying around forever. It's missing one latch but that really doesn't matter around the house. The power supply is a standard Boss PSM-5 with master switch, with the Boss daisy-chain cable and the original Boss wall-wart. I was a little bummed to find George L's right-angle plugs won't fit the BCB-6 spacing, but luckily I had a stash of old pancake style patch cables.

Now for the good stuff!

Boss DS-1 Distortion with Keeley mods: 90% of us have owned an orange DS-1 and 85% of us have sold one! This one has Keeley's Seeing Eye and Ultra mods and I think it's a great MIAB. (Interestingly, there are a lot of YouTube videos claiming "You're using it wrong!" The one I watched actually made some good points.)

Boss TR-2 Tremolo with AnalogMan mods: AnalogMan's website says they swap some components for higher quality versions and add a trim pot so you can boost the volume when the Tremolo is engaged. That way it doesn't feel like a big volume drop when you kick in the effect. Gets nice and swampy.

Boss CE-2 Chorus (MIJ): This is the first pedal I ever bought and I've had it since the fall of 1982. Pretty much the classic 80s chorus, still sounds great if that's your thing. I find a little goes a long way for me, but sometimes it's perfect.

Boss BF-2 Flanger (MIJ): Gets everything from subtle flanging to over-the-top SWOOOOSH! Make yourself seasick with one little stomp.

Boss DD-2 Digital Delay (MIJ) - This is the original, the first digital delay pedal. Boss made them between 1983 and 1986. I had to have one jack replaced; now it works perfectly.

My 20-year-old self would have gone nuts for this board! My old jaded self still thinks it's pretty fun...

My next pedalboard project is the big one! Literally, it's "the board that can't go anywhere." I'll post about it when it's up and running...

Last edited:

natmiss

I have a board full of boutique over priced pedals going into a boutique over priced tube amp. Sounds great. My buddy has an all Boss board going into a hotrod deluxe. When I go to one of his gigs he always asks me to sit in and do a tune or two. Sounds great! Makes me wonder why I have all this expensive stuff!

AA864

Yup, didn’t we all have that setup in 1992 ;)

I just did a big purge and sold off all my boss pedals on CL. I had a bunch of pedals, a BCB 3 & 6 and two PSMs. I kept my TU-12 tuner. I have an MS-3 and they all were redundant.

20200604_130728.jpg

20200604_131441.jpg

Last edited:

Tidbit

My main pedalboard has been reversing back to primarily Boss and MXR for a few years now. My HOF 2 just went belly up so on goes the Boss RV-6.

Kurt L

I have a board full of boutique over priced pedals going into a boutique over priced tube amp. Sounds great. My buddy has an all Boss board going into a hotrod deluxe. When I go to one of his gigs he always asks me to sit in and do a tune or two. Sounds great! Makes me wonder why I have all this expensive stuff!
Whatever works! I have some boutique stuff as well as the Boss/Ibanez/Digitech goodies... but I agree it's not necessarily better.

Riffa

I got a BCB-6 the other day because I love Boss pedals so much. I've had 3 BCB-030 cases and since I've got so many more Boss pedals on other boards I thought why not?

I've changed the pedals on it a few times since I got it, but right now it has:

PMS-5
OD-3
CH-1
DD-7
RV-2
TR-2

bluesuede

Minus the trem pedal and the kids, that was my exact board when I was 20. Actually, I may have gotten the BF2 a couple years later as it's an early made in Taiwan. My DD2 was stolen replaced with a DD3.

I love that Boss pedalboard. Had it for many years. The only downfall for me was that I used both their RV5 and DD6 and because they're both digital, it caused some noise because the power is daisy chained with that board.

I still love my Boss pedals. I like to have at least 1 or 2 on each pedalboard I use.

I got a BCB-6 the other day because I love Boss pedals so much. I've had 3 BCB-030 cases and since I've got so many more Boss pedals on other boards I thought why not?

I've changed the pedals on it a few times since I got it, but right now it has:

PMS-5
OD-3
CH-1
DD-7
RV-2
TR-2
Are you experiencing any noise daisy chaining the RV2 and DD7 on their? That was the reason I got rid of my BCB60. I was getting noise from the AC being daisy chained.

Riffa

Are you experiencing any noise daisy chaining the RV2 and DD7 on their? That was the reason I got rid of my BCB60. I was getting noise from the AC being daisy chained.
I was getting noise when daisy-chaining the 6 pedals off the Sanyo Pedal Juice, but no issues with the One Spot. I have been the RV-2 with a daisy chain for a long time, and have never had problems.

chromewaves

my bandmate has a simple chain of original MXRs - MX104 Distortion+ into MX117 Flanger into MX118 Analog Delay. Bought new back in the day but beat to hell now. If we're ever able to jam again I'll take a pic.

Trending Topics