Old Skool HipHop (haters should check it out)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Neer, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Neer

Neer Member

In the late 80s, I was into Jazz and HipHop and R&B. I had become pretty disenchanted with Rock, though there were artists I dug a lot (Chris Whitley, Lisa Germano).

Anyway, if you hate HipHop, now that 30+ years have gone by, maybe it's not quite so threatening and "non-musical" as you once thought?

Real live musicians on this track, imagine that:

2. Neer

Neer Member

This one is fun:

3. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

It was never "threatening", but it remains less than musical, at least to my ears. I just can't get into that sterile drum track loop, the lack of melodic interplay, no tension and release, etc. Sure, it's music, and I can appreciate the occasional interesting vocal rhythms and rhymes, but it's not what I would call musical. This doesn't make me a hater, but I remain unmoved by the vast majority of output in the genre.

4. choucas09

choucas09 Member

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

Best bass line ever...

6. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

7. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

Great time for the 'genre'..

As much as i love hard rock and metal i was also a big hip hop fan, especially in that era

:dude

8. dingdongditch

dingdongditch Member

9. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I never disliked hip hop. The only music I don't like is late 1980s hair metal ballads by bands like Bad English and Damn Yankees and a lot of contemporary country. But there was a long time when I didn't pay much attention to hip hop. I didn't know anybody hip enough to really turn me on to it. But just a couple years ago I bought my first hip hop CD- NWA- Straight Outta Compton. That was my driving music for awhile. Not long after that I got Criminal Minded by BDP. And that led to Gang Starr, Pete Rock & C L Smooth, Schoolly D, Mobb Deep, Nas, Geto Boys, and Ultramagnetic MCs. I really dug Kool Keith and got Black Elvis/Lost In Space. But one day while I was reading a thread in another forum about making beats I heard something by J. Dilla. That was the shiz. My mind was expanded and I saw hip hop in a whole new light. It also made me appreciate the old school hip hop more. The record by Dilla was Ruff Draft. Later, when I found it, I got Donuts. And I got several other Dilla joints as I heard about and/or found them. I get every Dilla I see. Reading more about Dilla I found out about Common, A Tribe Called Quest, Guilty Simpson, Talib Kweli, and Madlib. Madlib took it to a whole new level. I had to hear everything I could find by this cat. His beats were banging. Madlib also got me turned back on to jazz, but a deeper jazz- free jazz and soul jazz. I was buying records by Sun Ra, Stanley Cowell, The Three Sounds, Crusaders, Stuff, Lou Donaldson, Grover Washington Jr, Freddy Hubbard, Stanley Turrentine, Houston Person, Cannonball Adderley, Roy Brooks, Don Cherry, and every record I could find with a space ship, pyramid, or soul food on the jacket. I also got deeper into R&B soundtracks by Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Curtis Mayfield, Willie Hutch, Isaac Hayes, War, Marvin Gaye- Trouble Man, Car Wash, Cleopatra Jones, Foxy Brown. I also got hip to Dan The Automator, Bob James, Wu-Tang Clan, Digable Planets, Method Man, RZA, and Apollo Brown. Now I spend a lot of time digging crates. I get every 12" hip hop EP or single, and the occasional LP, I find at the thrift store. It seems that hip hop record LPs are somewhat hard to find. But when I go to an especially hip record store I get records by Lootpack, Dalek, Dan The Automator, Apollo Brown, and all the cool stuff I find.

I enjoy a good rap by cats like Kool Keith, Chuck D, and KRS-One. But the thing I really dig about hip hop is the beats. Actually, the things I really dig about golden age hip hop, what this thread is about, is the raps, though I dig the beats too. But my main cats for beats are Dilla, Madlib, and Dan The Automator. My favorite beat maker of the golden age is Pete Rock, though he has made dope beats in recent years. I also dig Afrika Bambaataa and electro. I got into electro because I listen to a lot of Detroit Techno.

While I was exploring techno and analog synthesizers I got interested in programming 808-style drum machines. I was also collecting 1980s Casio keyboards for their drum machines. It was when I wanted to make some funky beats, when I wanted to do something besides four on the floor kicks, I started listening to electro. Actually, maybe the first hip hop CD I got was an Afrika Bambaataa compilation with "Planet Rock" on it. I also got into Jonzun Crew and Newcleus.

I like finding out which records were sampled on some of those tunes. I then go to the record store and get records by the cats whose records were sampled. It is one of the reasons I really really dig Bob James, especially Bob James 1 with "Nautilus" on it. Now I have a big stack of Bob James records.

My record collection has grown quite a bit since I started listening to hip hop. Before I started listening to hip hop I only had four or five soul records. Now my soul jazz, psychedelic soul, R&B, funk, and urban soundtracks section is at least ten feet long.

10. Neer

Neer Member

I really dig the rapping, too, and I feel that today's rappers sound dumb for the most part compared to the cleverness of the old school. I'm sure there is some real talent out there today, but I haven't heard it. Even Nas sort of turns me off.

here is one I dig a lot:

11. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Good one

12. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

The best stuff is usually underground. Some folks call it backpacker hip hop.

13. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

Awww yeah! I love golden age stuff. A fun era of music. Sure, most of it is sample based, but those guys had great taste and a knack for mixing and matching different sources.

Digable Planets is one of the groups that got me into hip hop. I just found out their album Reachin' was co-produced by Mike Mangini!

A Tribe Called quest is the other main one that got me into hip hop:

The Low End Theory. CLASSIC album.

14. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

What, no P.E.?

15. slybird

slybird Member

I like this thread. I've got to ask, does anyone think this thread would see the light of day if this site had an up/down voting system?

16. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I won't claim to be a fan but the stuff from the early late 70's-80's I always found more interesting if far less slick than today's hip hop. Guess in that way I like a rocker who loves the Sam Phillips Sun Studios RnR but hates Reo Speedwagon and Journey. Like many form of music if out lives it's creativity

17. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

My favorite hip hop is J. Dilla and Madlib which is fairly recent.

18. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

Both excellent. Madlib mines a crazy variety of material. I'd love to see his record collection.

19. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Poets and producers can be great poets and producers, but it doesn't make them musicians. I think a big part of the disconnect is the rap often sits on top of the song. When it's someone's song with a rap on top, I might like the rap, but I give the musical credit to person that wrote the song. To your point about softening over the years, I guess I am more accepting of beats as a foundation for a song.
    I would make a comparison.....Conductors like Karajan and Toscanini are revered...and sold a few hundred million records. But they aren't held as high as Wagner or Verdi, the men who wrote the material.

Some of it is great, some of it is mind numbingly bad. And maybe more than other types of music, the bad stuff in rap can be popular (Have you heard Tuesday or I'm So Awesome).

Anyway.......I like funky stuff. It's not that old school, but my kids have never heard of them....Outkast!
    Speakerboxx/The Love Below....I don't even know if I consider it rap. It's funk soul with raps.

NSFW. I repeat, NSFW! Language.

20. gilberti4

gilberti4 Member

Love old school rap. From the West coast to the East coast. New kid on the rise is Joey Bada$$. He got DJ premier on some of his beats and he even raps over a Dilla beat. Yes got a nice old school flow and vibe. Resurrecting Boom Bap from the tombs of rap. Give him a listen. A lot better than most rappers out now rapping about money hoes an clothes.