Old soldering irons

MelodyQuaker

What type/brand did gibson use? Back in the day. I have NOS solder and old wire and old pots and old caps. 95% NOS stuff. And want to continue with this theme.... Im honestly not trolling here.

Jason_77

Are you also going to do this soldering in the old Gibson factory? I mean, if you're going to do it...

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
I have to say I find this a little funny, but if you REALLY want to know, send Dan Erlewine an e-mail and explain what you're doing. He'll either know, or know someone that knows, and he'd probably look into it for you because he's a pack rat for this kind of trivia and nostalgia. Probably an old Weller Magnastat...maybe a TCP station if they were really lucky. Before that, maybe an American Beauty, or something like that.

But I personally wouldn't use the solder. Old flux doesn't work well, and that's why solder has an expiration date. A couple years past? Probably not a big deal. A few decades? I'd go elsewhere.

MelodyQuaker

I have to say I find this a little funny, but if you REALLY want to know, send Dan Erlewine an e-mail and explain what you're doing. He'll either know, or know someone that knows, and he'd probably look into it for you because he's a pack rat for this kind of trivia and nostalgia. Probably an old Weller Magnastat...maybe a TCP station if they were really lucky. Before that, maybe an American Beauty, or something like that.

But I personally wouldn't use the solder. Old flux doesn't work well, and that's why solder has an expiration date. A couple years past? Probably not a big deal. A few decades? I'd go elsewhere.
Who's Dan erlewine

MelodyQuaker

Are you also going to do this soldering in the old Gibson factory? I mean, if you're going to do it...
No but I'm gonna use my kalamazoo amp for a work surface.....close enough. I'm making a joke here but was totally serious about the iron.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
i once had a customer breathlessly tell me how he managed to "score" some original NOS gibson "fretless wonder" frets :rolleyes:

MelodyQuaker

I have a weller magnastat now that I've looked up pics of it. Got it from an storage room in a highschool

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Dan Erlewine-
Came from the general Ann Arbor area, played guitar in the Prime Movers blues band, mid 60s MI contemporaries of Butterfield and Bloomfield. Traded 50s Les Pauls w/Bloomfield. Prime Movers included Jim "Iggy Stooge/Pop" Osterberg on drums.

Erlewine got his start as a repair guy and later luthier at Herb David's Guitar shop on State Street in A2 where customers are rumored to have included the MC5 tag team of Wayne Kramer and Sonic Smith. Later moved to Big Rapids MI and Dan Erlewine's Guitar Hospital. Built Flying V for Albert King. Later moved to Ohio, wrote numerous books on guitar repair and set up. Closely associated with mail order tool and part ompany Stewart McDonald.

David Collins

No disrespect intended, but this has to be among the most bizarre esoteric projects I've ever heard of.

Just to be clear, before going out of your way to get anything, you do realize how utterly silly this is, right?

Trending Topics