Old Sun Face vs new Sun Face

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by killa j, Apr 13, 2016.

1. killa j

killa j Supporting Member

I don't know a whole lot about these, but I did play through my friend's Sun Face (can't remember which type) a while back and really liked it. They aren't terribly expensive brand new, but the used ones on Reverb and eBay are going for way more than new ones. What's going on with that? Supply and demand? Or is there actually a difference?

2. RodR

RodR Member

Yeah, different transistors used thru time, some more desirable than others. Wanna brag? spend the money. Wanna be happy? use your ears.

3. saintjohn89

saintjohn89 Supporting Member

The price usually reflects whatever transistors were used. If they're some of the old NKT-275's, which he doesn't have any more of, then it'll be more expensive. You'd probably be just as happy with some of his 'normal' gain germaniums though as they sound quite similar to me. And, of course, won't cost you an arm and a leg.

4. bleu

bleu Member

I started a similar thread just yesterday.

Some good info on the various trannies here:

http://www.buyanalogman.com/Analog_Man_Sun_Face_p/am-sun-face.htm

I'm torn between the low gain germanium which AM specifies to clean up well (my favorite thing about my old sunface), the Mullard 7005 which is said to sound 'almost identical' to the white dot NKT275 (does it also clean up almost identically?), or sucking it up and spending $400 on the normal gain white dot NKT275 which I know and love but regrettably sold many years ago. I've yet to find anything as good especially in terms of gradient responsiveness to guitar volume.

Jim S likes this.
  5. killa j

killa j Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I'll more than likely just go with the low gain germanium, I'm looking for a slightly fuzzy overdrive as opposed to all out fuzz. I'd probably never be able to tell the old, expensive ones from a newer one. I pretty much can't ever hear a difference when changing tubes unless one goes bad.

RodR likes this.
  6. SG-GUY 92'

SG-GUY 92' Member

I have owned 3 Sun Face's. A High Gain NKT-275 White Dot, a Normal Gain NKT-275 White Dot, and a standard GE (2n type with medium gain). I loved the Standard GE just as much as the other two and it cost me less than half of the price. Clean up on the standard GE was outstanding. Mike makes amazing products across the board!

analogmike likes this.