"Old Town Road"...Longest Time at #1 in recorded music history!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Aug 5, 2019.

1. megatrav

megatrav Supporting Member

I am not sure if you all know this or care or whatever, but on top of this song being the first Country/Rap mix to really make it big and be endorsed by a famous country artist, it is also an anthem for LGBTQ in that the guy wrote it about another man.

So, its also popular because it speaks to a typically oppressed culture, that is helping it stay at the top of the charts by supporting it.
    I am super okay with all of these things.

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Most people do not have "near-perfect pitch"...I certainly do not...but I can hear it when someone is singing out of key and I would rather have pitch correction than to hear out of pitch warbling...ymmv...

HoboMan likes this.
  3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of pitch correction, except as a form of distortion. It sounds "fake", might as well just do all the backing vocals with a TC Play Acoustic and be done with it! Don't have to pay Billy Ray then.

4. motokev

motokev Member

Where's Miley

she needs to be up there dancing around sticking her tongue out.

Thesleepstalker likes this.
  5. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

I taught it to a student. It's three chromatic notes, I think two Cs, two C#s, two Bs and another two Cs. Good for beginners!

Anarchist Andy likes this.
  6. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Yes, my, mileage varies. I prefer natural voices, you prefer synthetic manipulation. And what you heard in that video was not someone "singing out of key", but a very minor variation in tone and in cents that was not out of key at all.

7. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

I haven’t heard it, either. Not intentionally avoiding it or anything, but it just hasn’t come up yet.

8. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

We are living at the height of the age of mediocrity.
    One can only hope.

9. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

Same here--never even heard the name of the song. I think I spin in different circles. It appears to be current country music. I couldn't even name one song from that genre. I recognize a few of the biggest artist names but that's about it.

10. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Lil Nas X has opened up about the meaning of the lyrics – revealing that it’s more than just a song about riding horses. In fact, he has said that it’s a reflection on family problems, popular culture and fame – explaining that the Old Town Road is the path to success, fortune and wealth. The 20-year-old told Time magazine that he wrote the track at a time when he was discouraged to pursue a career in music, and to continue his university studies instead. Old Town Road came after a period of feeling like I was out of options,’ he explained. ‘I was living with my sister. She was pretty much fed up with me being there. That’s where the chorus lyric came from—it was me saying, “I want to leave everything behind”.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/30/old-...-behind-lil-nas-x-track-10486745/?ito=cbshare

11. Gear Ears 4 Years

Gear Ears 4 Years Member

Not a stylistic hybrid I care for. It seems like the worst aspects of modern country and commercial rap fused into a truly annoying earwig.
    I'm sure this won't be last time I feel this way about a new pop song.

RCCola and Thesleepstalker like this.
  12. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

"cheated on my baby, go ahead and ask her"...

Hey now.

13. 55hz

55hz Member

14. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I liked the Dwight-ish Midland tune and Maran Morris. Everything else sounded like old fat guys singing dated boy band garbage. (Yes Rascal Flatts, that was directed at you. And many others. WTF?!)

15. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

I’ll be honest: the older I get, the less and less of radio I listen to. We are living in a golden age of low cost music, so a $10 a month Spotify charge means I don’t have to listen to music I don’t dig. It also means I occasionally miss music that most other people hear. I think I’m ok with that.

16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

That video was poor quality, and I assume you weren't watching the show, but, he was definitely off pitch...pretty badly...and not to get too much further off course, but, if Brooks and Dunn is on stage, and Kix Brooks is singing lead then something is very, very wrong to begin with....

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Member

I listened to it for the first time just now and I don't care to repeat it.

18. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I have heard my daughters talk about it, but I must be the last living person to have never heard it.

19. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Silver Supporting Member

I asked you that question because I knew this was going to come up.

tribalfusion likes this.
  20. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

We started doing Achy Breaky as a joke about a year ago...it's super popular. Not sure how....but it's only two chords.