old traynor???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sep., Apr 8, 2008.

1. sep.

sep. Member

does anybody have an old traynor amp?
    i have one, a small 25watt thing, use it at home... you find them very rare...

2. doc

doc Member

Great amps, but not particularly rare. I have several.

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have a YGM-3, it's a great little amp. I put a Warehouse Guitar Vintage 30 clone in it and is sounds pretty good. I have plans to mod the tone stack because I'm not thrilled with it but otherwise it kicks ass when dimed. I also put an attenuator insert in it, check it out here.

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I have a '71 YBA-3 head. It's seriously a Marshall-killer. 120 watts of serious Marshall-esque tone. And they really are built like tanks. The story goes that Pete Traynor used to drop the tube heads off the roof of his building, then bring them in, straighten the tubes, and see if they still worked. Now that's quality control! I have dropped my head from chest height, not just dropped, but thrown forward through a door as I tripped over a beer keg in a bar we were playing. It landed with a thud (the biggest thud was the one my heart made), but plugged it in and she powered right up, no problem. I think it actually sounded better :).

Check this website out: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/vb/index.html ... there's tons of info. Like Doc said above, they're not particularly rare, but they are getting more and more popular, and prices are creeping up.

5. DaveDaveDave

DaveDaveDave Member

I've got a couple o' Traynors.

For last night's gig, I brought my mod'd YBA-1 head, my 70's YGM-4 for the other guitarist, and my bass player brought his 60's 2x15 Traynor bass cab. Whole stage was full o' Trayno's!

:)

Dave

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Nice! I have the matching 8x10 (Eminence speakers) cabinet to go with my YBA-3 head. I'd love to have a YBA-1 too. Killer little heads! What mods have you done to yours?

7. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Up here they are pretty common eh? here's a very old one #0018 YBA-1 bassmaster and rare one a yh1-1 ampmate reverb.I have the matching 2x12 yt-12 cab with script logo on it's way from up north this week.:dude
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

:drool
    Man! That's a thing of beauty. Did I hear you say you're selling it? ;)

9. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

We have a similar taste in gear Steady.A collector offered me 1.5 k for the yba last year i angled for more and lost :DUDE oh well.
    I also have 3 Gemini 1's and 3 vibroluxes lots of gear coming out of aging boomer closets in these parts of Ontario ,then there are the vintage Japanese guitars we both love-
    [​IMG]

10. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Nice stuff there! I love the Ibanez 335 copy. What year is it? I had no idea the YBA-1's went for that much! But yours looks pretty mint and it is #18, so I guess that explains it. How much were you angling for?

How do you like the Gemini I's? I haven't received mine yet, it's in transit. I do love my Vibrolux! What part of Ontario are you in? I'm originally from Toronto, but lived up in the Collingwood area for 3 years up until 2006. I never got lucky enough to find any of that gear.

11. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Love them... I still have 2 1967 YBA-1 heads (that sound different as one has been modded over the years) and what is turning out to be my all-time favorite amp, a YGM-1.

This is an earlier version of the YGM-3, and no matter what else I happen to own, I always seem to go back to it. Just turned it off, as a matter of fact.

12. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Yep, I have a '68 YBA-1 with the massive iron and all that. Great amp!

13. Dale

Dale Member

I have a Basmaster II.

[​IMG]

I like the amp a great deal. Sorta Plexi-Vox-Bassman depending on the speakers. LOUD.

14. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

I was just playing my '69 modded YVM PA head.

God that thing has unreal tone.:bow

15. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Thats a 1980 ibanez as-200 schofield model.The guy wanting the YBA-1 was upping his price every time i said no so what the heck i kept saying no!
    The way i looked at it is once it's gone it's gone and what do i have?some money i will probably spend on more practical stuff;)I was trying to get him to 1700 so i could get within a reasonable range to buy a 64 deluxe reverb from a guy in Ottawa.
    As you might have gathered i have a few vintage amps.The Gemini 1's( all 65's)are my number one go to gigging amp.Absolutely love the tone of them.Great reverb ,tremolo not overly loud but big sounding they are like great amps should be an instrument as much as the guitar you are playing.I'm about 45 min from T.O. just far enough away to get some smokin deals:AOK

16. ROKY

ROKY Member

I have a gaggle of 'em :

68' YBA-3's(2 of 'em..)
    66' YBA-1
    68' YBA-1A
    '70 YSR-1
    '67 YBA-2 combo(changed 15" baffle board to one w/ a 12" speaker)
    '73 YGL-3A head
    '74 YGL-3 combo (2x12)

Cool amps .

17. sep.

sep. Member

maybe have to say that I live in Belgium and that they are rare overhere...lol.
    Never saw another one I think.
    mine is a TS25, don't know witch year it is build...

18. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I've got a 1973 YBA-1 Bassmaster and a 1972 YSR-1 Custom Reverb.

Right now they are sitting in a closet because I've always been a combo guy, and I don't have a cabinet for them.

I need to get that issue of Vintage Guitar with the suggested mods (since I want to get 3-prong plugs put on anyway) and a nice 2x12 cabinet to play them through.

I've been a bit stumped about what speakers to put in the cabinet. I'm a classic rock/60's British rock and blues guy.

19. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Nice! How do you like your YBA-3's? Do you use 'em for bass or guitar? I'm actualy looking for a dead one with a cabinet in good shape. The guy I bought mine from had put them into a cabinet covered with that carpet fuzz material. I'd like to get it into an original tolex-covered cabinet. I've always got my eyes open for a YBA-1 in good shape.

20. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Check out the Velvet Black website (http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/vb/index.html) and there's a cool forum for Traynor owners at; http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/traynor-amplifiers/

Probably lots of good suggestions there for speakers.

LC