Old tube find-junk or treasure?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by slhguitar, Sep 18, 2006.

1. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

So, heres the situation. I went to a garage sale yesterday, and they had an old radio/turntable cabinet for sale for $75. It was tube, and the owner wasnt sure if any of them were blown or not. The part that really got my attention was the box full of old tubes sitting on top of it. A lot of them said made in canada, and there was a number of different types. There were 6AU6, 6J6, 6W6, 12AT7(1 tung-sol), and a bunch more I cant remember. there were a few sylvania 6W6. What I'm wondering is if this menagerie of tubes alone would be worth the $75? I'm actually away visiting someone, and I'm taking the bus home, so bringing the actual radio home is out of the question. I need some advice here....to buy, or not to buy?

Thanks for any help.

2. brad347

brad347 Member

it would be absolutely impossible to say without knowing exactly what was in the box.

If there was even one pair of blackplate RCA 6L6s, for instance, then YES it would be worth it. If it was a box of only oddball tubes with one nice 12AT7 then it wouldn't be worth it at all. The only tubes that are valuable are the ones that people actually need.

3. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

I definately appreciate the need to know exactly whats in there, I was just wondering if any of the tube types I listed would be usable for any other audio function. I suppose I should have made that clearer in my original post. lol. That being said, what kind of old tubes should I be on the lookout for? I may go back and look through the box more thoroughly.

4. brad347

brad347 Member

why don't you go to www.kcanostubes.com and look at what Mike has for sale in his online store? His prices represent something pretty close to market value, so if you see a tube type listed that you know is in the box, you can see what he's asking. Since he specializes in tubes used for guitar amps first and audio second, you're likely to get a pretty good idea of what is valuable/usable.

Be on the lookout for Mullard, Amperex, RCA, etc type 'blue chip' brands for any of the common tube types. Any NOS EL34s, etc.

5. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Thanks for the reference. I definately take a look at that site. Cheers.

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

75$ is too much for an old radiogram and box of tubes. Many Canadian tubes are anything but Canadian. Tell him you'll give him 10$ and take it off his hands. Someone must have told him that old tube "stereos" are worth lots of money now and he's looking for a big fish. There was so much junk made in the 1950s and 1960s that the liklihood of finding a gem is pretty remote. Trust me, I hit a lot of graj sales. I missed an old Fender amplifier head last month for 50$. :( Sadly, my neighbor who was out shopping didn't call me for advice!

7. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Alrighty. It looks my big find of the day was a multimeter for $8 then. Oh well, there willl be plenty more garage sales. Thanks for all the advice.

8. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have a box of a hundred or more NIB radio tubes with this sort of variety. If anyone wants it for the cost of shipping, PM me ;) I can email a picture of the tubes in the box if needed.