Old vs new Fulltone 69

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by goldenboy, Feb 2, 2008.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

Hi,
    My first post.

This subject might be old hat for you guys, and I did search first, but, I have a 1997 and a 2007 '69 pedal. The older one has the blue switch that doesn't "click" quite the same as the newer one, which has the black Fulltone switch, and works like every other switch I'm used to. It's the kind that uses the plastic cap, which is actually missing btw. The 1997 works fine and on a quick A/B comparison they sound the same. Is the older one true bypass? Is there any reason to upgrade if it works the way it is?

Also, since there is a 10 year gap, are there any changes to the '69 that were made that make the newer one "better" in any way. Like I said, they sound the same so is either one considered the one to have?

Thanks.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

I'm just bumping this. Somebody must know about the history of the Fulltones.

3. dad gad

dad gad Member

If they sound the same, u did all the work already. And they are both true bypass. The only thing that changes in the pedals is the transistors. They are numbered, and if your numbers are close, they will sound close.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

Here's an update as I had some more time to compare these. The 07 one has more fuzz, more noise, a little more volume and sounds "woofier" than the 97. I would say both sound really good though. Now I have to figure out which one to keep.

5. Jack

Jack Member

I think Fulltone used to use less reliable switches at some time in the past, but I don't know when. ILet your ears be your guide. It's harder to find a pedal you like than to get a switch replaced.

6. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

I'll chime in. It's all in the Fulltone website. Fulltone claims he developed the first high quality 3PDT switch. The is the same one as in your '97. Apparently some company (EHX, I'm guessing) copped the design and now they are built in Taiwan or whatever. Fulltone now only puts these black switches in. I think reliability should be about the same and they are both true-bypass. If you've got an old '69, to be honest, I wouldn't touch it! That baby'll be worth some dough some day!

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

Cool guys thanks for the info. I'll check out the transistors.

Echoplex, if I get the transistor sockets, I can put different transistors in them and swap them out for different sounds? Or do just the sockets make some kind of difference? I've never done anything like that. However, I just purchased a BYOC Large Beaver so I'm about to get all into it.

8. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

Just leave it be and go practice.;)