Old vs new Parker Fly classic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Urkoman, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Hi!
    A few days ago i played a few Parkers, fly classic, Mojo and nitefly mojo. Dindn´t like the last two at all, but i absolutely fell in love with the first.
    So, i´m looking for one. The question is that the classic i played was the old model, which had four controls, being the fourth double, and two selectors and a trem tensor thru the body like this one (the one i played was exactly like this):
    [​IMG]

but when looking for classics i´ve found the newer ones have only three controls and don´t have the trem tensor like this one:
    http://www.parkerguitars.com/code/models/models_fly_classic_intro.asp

and also seems like there have been three versions of the pickups and some other differences (like Parker being sold).

So, the obvious questions are: Why three in spite of four? What´s missing in the new ones vs. the old ones (if any)? Which one do you recommend? Pros/cons?

Thanks in advance

2. Lifetimer

Lifetimer Member

i can´t tell you the difference
    between the newer and the older models
    only thing i can tell you is my Classic is from '97
    and i will never let her go...

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Changes are ;

Trem tension adjusters in back now (to stop people from doodling with it in stores.)
    Master volume gone
    Pizeo tone gone
    Easier battery change (no tools)
    Flexible PCB hook up gone(just a Fishman powerchip now like the active Nightfly)
    smart jack (no stereo button needed)

Pickups Gen 1 Bright oh and did i mention Bright.(Tone Zone and Air Norton)
    Gen 2 Tuned to the Parker Not as Bright but still Bright.
    Mojo SD JB and Jazz ,Best and a mahogany neck and body(my favorite)
    Best ? Difficult , I would say that the Original is best till you need to fix anything then it is a PITA .All great Guitars though.

4. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

The post above says it all. i had only the old versions and would buy one of those over the newer ones. my only complaint parkers are the the finish is very thing and unless you are super careful and not a hard player or never bump it even a little the will look like hell . I also hated the wheel but never used the trem so not that big a issue . Other than that they play and sound great . I loved having the acoustic control as well and have no idea why anybody would not have a separate volume and treble control for a powerbridge.
    With out it its not worth it .

5. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I don't think you'd miss the tone control on the PowerBridge as long as you are running it into an acoustic amp or good direct box w/ eq (which you need to do anyway).

6. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Unless I'm mistaken, the Classic you tried depending on the year, would have Generation 1's (first year to 2000 or maybe 2001). After that Deluxes and Classics had Generation 2's. The Mojo and NiteFly Mojo both have Duncan pickups and sound more Les Paul'ish.
    I have a Custom Shop Classic from '02 that was a special order with a hardtail bridge and Duncan pickups
    This is my fourth Parker and I'm looking for another. Great guitars!

7. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Alot of the "upgraded" features on the new Flys make sense to me, but the fact that they eliminated the trem wheel, means that, if I ever get another Fly, it will be the non-upgraded model. That move comletely ruined the idea of the trem for me (and this is speaking as someone who owned a couple older Fly Deluxes and a Fly Mojo).

-Austin

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Why would you need to adjust it in a gig or on the" FLY " pardon my terrible pun.

9. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

You don't in my opinion. I own both they are just different if you have to have this or that then fine buy that one but LPs don't have 5 way switching and Strats don't have two volumes each to his own, just different.

The Mojo has a terrific acoustic sound I like it better than the 1st generation Flys with acoustic tone control, something about the Mahogany neck and body gives it a nice warm acoustic tone. But I am don't care for the JB so I changed that.

10. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Say for example you're going from a standard tuning song where you are using the trem full-floating, so one in an altered tuning. It would be convenient to be able to quickly set the bridge to fixed so you could re-tune and play the 2nd song. Then you could tune back to normal and go back to full-floating. The original system allows you to do this will no tools, but in the new system, you have to get out tiny little metal rods and dick around in the back of the guitar. Big step back IMO.

-Austin

11. tj1004

tj1004 Member

Urkoman, PM sent

12. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes fair point , but I don't think it well affect many people

13. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Anyway, could any of you explain me exactly why every control is for? I´ve just bought one of the old fly classics. :D
    I mean, first was volume, second tone (both electric) first selector was the usual pickup selector, the other electric/acoustic/blend. But what were the other two for (the two ones on the far right, the double one and the one next to it)?
    How does the tremolo tension wheel work? Far on one side=fixed, far on the other =floating and semi floating in-between?

Thanks!

14. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I don't want to bore everyone plus there is quite a bit to understand in the set up so my I suggest you join the Parker forum. I know you'll be welcome. http://www.parkerguitars.com/forum/default.asp

The stacked pot is the piezo control tip for volume, base for tone. The next pot is the magnetic tone. The next one is magnetic volume and the final one nearest to the bridge pickup is the master volume.

There is no fixed position only a very stiff down only position a bit of a misnomer. The trem stop is used for set up and as the stop for down only trem use....;)

15. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Thanks Alex!
    I´ve been reading the FAQ´s an everything is clear to me. My soon to arrive guitar is a 2003 fly classic made on March the 15th :D, second gen pickups.
    I´m gonna register tho. Anyway, i still can´t find an answerto two questions, First is how does the trem wheel work (i mean, you move it and...does it sound any click...how do you know when you´re on that stiff down only position? -same in the opposite direction), and second, What´s the battery for? I´ve had a few Andersons with piezo and they don´t have batteries (or they´ve lasted so much i never knew i had to change them before selling them, still have one)

Thanls again

16. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

The trem wheel just turns no clicks it is a bit tricky getting just the right tension to float but it is super easy to get down only setup. And the "locked" set up is just a couple extra turns not big deal. Battery is for the preamp for the Piezos. The preamp also acts as a mixer so you can send a mono signal of both the mags and piezos to one amp. The battery lasts a long time.

17. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Ok, now it´s all clear.
    Seems you like Parkers :D Maybe the Deluxe will come next