1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Old Wood spin off thread

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Killcrop, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

We were talking about "old wood" on one of the D'Pergo threads. I guess he looks at the wood under a microscope. I wonder if he, or anyone else has analyze the molecular composition of a great piece of old wood to help explain or identify the natural wood/drying/moisture content and develop some kind of tonal formula.

Of course when Leo was cranking out Strats they were just plucking a block of wood from a pile. They did pretty well with that.

2. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

What's he looking for under the microscope? Some trees sound better than others, it's nature. Maybe there's some teeny tiny little "tone gnomes" in the wood?

:BEER

3. matte

matte Senior Member

mock what you don't understand.:dude

maybe ed yoon will pop onto this thread and share with tgp why he did a 180 on this very subject, as suhr now offers old growth wood (after ed's initial dismissal of same).

4. Paulpuck68

Paulpuck68 Member

Juha of Ruokangas guitars has done a lot of analysis of wood and has come up with a patented process to treat wood to get a certain cellular response in the wood to make it more like aged wood. Sounds like Stefan has a similar idea and looks for actual aged wood with those types of characteristics. I have no idea if they are the same characteristics but they might be onto the next big things from different angles. I do find Ruokangas guitars to be exceptional but I am guessing it is all just one part of the equation.

5. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Just a little joke dude. :messedup I don't make guitars, I don't know what the hell I'd be looking for if I was microscoping. If you understand whatever it is you think I'm mocking, please share with us. :dude

6. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I would think that the tonal properties of a piece of wood have more to do with that particular piece than with age...otherwise, builders would simply look for the oldest wood they can find and just accept that it sounds better than anything else.

7. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

Funny you mention Ruokangas. That guy is doing something special. I'd love to try his guitars.

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

As much as I think age and proper drying techniques can affect wood sonics and resonance---I feel exposure to freqencies and vibration are a huge factor as well. Take a beat to **** vintage Strat and one the same age that is near mint. The played one usually outperforms it in sound, soul and all the intangibles every time.

At least that has been my experience. So, if you happen to get your hands on a great guitar that is also new, be happy that playing it will only make it better.

9. jzilla

jzilla Member

i think the burden of proof is on you since you are doing the mocking. great policy, to mock what you don't understand. great recipe for progress!

10. photoguy

photoguy Member

I took it as a joke too...geesh, you guys are sensitive.

11. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Interesting point sir. I have always believed that the ones beat were the "good ones", that's why they were played, just like the minty ones tend to sound worse. But oyu have me thinking now:AOK

I think it comes down to dogs will always be dogs, most good guitars fall into the "good" category and then there are the ones that truly are an excpetion and stand out baove all their consectutive serialed counterparts.

I don't think old wood is the main ingredient in a great instrument, but it sure doesn't hurt any does it!

12. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

Some Stradivarius are said to be superior due to being constructed from old-growth wood that had been submerged, thereby compressing the wood with water pressure. And maybe old-growth trees were more healthy due to lack of environmental toxins.

13. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

I have some old chestnut from barn built in 1832, ok only 175 years old but it is so dry and yet in great shape. I measured & weighed and it is 2.4 lb per ft; same as light swamp ash. Waiting on a tele to be finished right now from it. Then I'm going to have a strat built.

I honestly think every now and then, you get a superior slab of wood that just makes guitar sound so sweet; don't matter the age.

14. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

I also thought that was a pretty good, funny joke. Given that we're now living in the world of "genomics"...

15. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

This paper discusses (please follow link below) viscoelastic properties of wood and depicts images and an example of wood micro structure. By understanding the viscoelastic properties, one could reason how wood with lower viscoelastic performance and a micro structure, ie the shape and size of the cell itself, could influence the sonic transmission efficiency and frequency transmission response of a billet of wood...providing the micro structure as observed is consistent.

By the way...I played a Dpergo Limited last week and it was the most impressive Strat style guitar I have ever played!

Dpergo...you have my respect!

Of course, the actual type of wood probably has the greatest influence on the cell density of the specimen, based upon its species. From that point, growing climate conditions, soil composition and atmospheric composition, as influenced by environmental intangibles such as volcanic activity, co etc., must influence the cell structure of the tree.

That Limited was REALLY nice!

http://www.ipenz.org.nz/ipenz/publications/indexes/transaction/transactions97/emch/4ASTLEY.PDF

16. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

But, a great sounding/playing guitar can get more wear just because it started out that way. The near mint one could have been a dog up front so it didn't get played.

Maybe... :BEER

17. JMG

JMG Member

"Yes, the molecular structure is perfect for playing Mustang Sally!"

18. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Well said.

What of the builders who use grain orientation and structure, weight and or other visceral observations based not on science, but actual physical experience? Or have we finally given up mojo for science?

Also... Once you have understood the various relationships between the different metals, woods, magnets, wires, pots, capacitors, paint, etc.. there is not much left to mystery. Then again, that is the hard part isn't it?

:RoCkIn

19. jzilla

jzilla Member

i don't think it's either/or. what about science & 'mojo' (or intuition / experience)?

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

It's the Hamadryad, stupid!!!