Older Boss pedals -Help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benbenben, Jan 10, 2008.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

I've jsut suddenly got the urge to purchase some older boss pedals. I've found a place to get them somewhat cheap and the price is just awesome...

Boss TW-1 T-Wah
    Boss FT-2 Dynamic Filter
    Boss OC-2 Octave
    Boss BF-2/J Flanger
    Boss Ph-1r Phaser

What you guys think of these pedals? I was just thinking of buying these to muck aroudn with and see what wack sounds i can make..

ALSO.. what's the differences between the T-Wah and the Dynamic Filter. Is the T-wah an autowah and the dynamic filter an envelope filter?

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Buy them all - they're all great pedals.

The T-Wah and Dynamic Filter are similar in that both are envelope-following filters, but the T-Wah is voiced and responds more like an automatic wah pedal (more honky and quacky), and the Dynamic Filter is more precise and controllable, and responds more like a synth filter sweep. Which is best is a very personal thing I would say - I prefer the FT-2, but try both before you decide. The FT-2 can also be controlled by an expression pedal, but doesn't sound exactly like a 'normal' wah like that either - it's still more 'synthy'.

The OC-2 is a superb, fat octave pedal, but needs a bit of technique learning to get it to track really well - it's strictly monophonic, although if you're into semi-controlled chaos, try playing chords through it ;). Also try it before and after distortion, it's totally different. Before distortion, it sounds like playing octaves on the guitar. After distortion, the octaves don't sound distorted because they aren't pitch-shifted, they are actually new notes generated by the circuit, which is really a very simple analog synth. This sounds like playing bass pedals in unison with guitar.

The BF-2 is a classic, powerful flanger - not that subtle, but great for jet effects and 80s Goth-metal sounds :). It can also do a surprisingly good chorus, and also a near 'sitar' impression (Resonance up full, Rate and Depth off, experiment with the Manual). I actually prefer the slightly more subtle HF-2 Hi-Band Flanger on guitar, and the BF-2 on bass, but it's a fairly small difference.

The PH-1R is IMO possibly the best phaser ever made. It's very full and natural-sounding (not at all like the later PH-2 and especially the PH-3), can be subtle or powerful, and sounds good both before and after distortion. It will actually duplicate a vintage MXR Phase 90 too, if you want (I had both, and with the Boss set right you literally could not tell them apart). The sole problem I can find with it is that it has a slight bass boost when on, which can seem to raise the volume a bit.

These older Made In Japan Boss models are going up in value as people realise just how good they sound, too - so if there are any you don't like it should be easy to sell them. Yes, they're slightly noisier than the later models and have less features, but IMO they just sound better... much better in some cases.

3. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I have the BF-2 Flange MIJ green label version(big knob version - more rare)
    ...I really like it but was actually thinking of getting rid of it due to space issues on my board and the fact that I also have an MXR Flanger. The pic is not mine, but mine is in better shape.
    [​IMG]

Its cool because it has trim-pots inside so you can adjust the overall sweep and color of the Flange....

If you are interested PM me...

4. blood5150

blood5150 Member

ignore my post.. I thought that you were looking for those pedals...:jo

Anyway, dont forget about the trimpots in the BF-2!

5. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

The FT-2 is the coolest auto wah/envelope filter they made. If you wanna sound like 70's Jerry Garcia this is the pedal.

6. benbenben

benbenben Member

Yeh, well the prices I've got are all quite low and very affordable (esp when you compare to some of the prices you find on 'boutique' pedals nowadays..

I might just get 3 first and the other 2 a later time. Which 3 dya think I should try out first (this is taking in mind I'm not much of a effects junky apart from drives-delays-wah). I've currently got a Nano stone which is not really in use at all.

7. Ryan

Ryan Member

Boss should reissue the old MIJ stuff.

8. benbenben

benbenben Member

Won't be the same and the price that they release it for won't match it's quality.

9. freaksho

freaksho Member

they probably can't M them in J cost effectively anymore, which i'm guessing is why they stopped M-ing in J in the first place.

10. sandman

sandman Member

I love my TW-1, great pedal. Old Boss stuff is reallly nice.

Buy 'em all!

11. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

The DC-2 Dimension C is my favorite chorusy sound ever.

The market will fluctuate on the MIJ stuff. If you can get them cheap now, by all means, get them all. Sold at the right time, you could make a lot of money on the ones you don't keep.

12. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I would personally pick the FT-2, OC-2 and PH-1R... but I like thicker, more obvious effects.

The OC-2 and BF-2 give you things you don't have... but the OC-2 is possibly a bit of an acquired taste. If you have a wah already, get the FT-2 instead of the TW-1. And/or sell the Nano Stone and get the PH-1R - it's so much more versatile and better sounding, and can do quite vibe-ish stuff as well.

13. hacker

hacker Supporting Member

I have the Dynamic Filter and it is a cool envelope filter. It gets funky, but it doesn't quite nail the liquidy-synth Mutron III sound. In that department, the Maxon AF-9 rules. The FT-2 sounds cooler with distortion though, to my ears.

14. svanangen

svanangen Member

T-wah is a really nice pedal. Somewhat noisy but it does good funktones and nice Garcia-quack.

15. benbenben

benbenben Member

Yehh... I've owned the CE-2 and I've got a Dimension right now..... hahah

16. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

17. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

get the bf2 and the ph1 for sure. get the oc2 as well for good measure. that would be my 3