• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Older guys, help me out: Why did/do people hate Journey so much?

halcyon85

I'm going through a weird phase right now where I'm really getting into Journey for some reason. But I wasn't a sparkle in my dad's eye when the band were in their heyday.

Anywho, they've always seemed to be the butt of jokes and despite packing stadiums and such a lot of people seem to hate them, or hated them back in the day. There's even a Farcebook page called "I HATE THE BAND JOURNEY."

Why is this? I'm too far removed age-wise to understand it. Is it because they started out as a progressive rock band and then became more commercially viable? Is it because of Perry's voice? Is it because of their lyrics? Their music in general? Too soft? A combination of these things? All of these things?

And what is your opinion on Neal Schon?

I look forward to your replies. :tapedshut

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
If your in a cover band you will get asked for Journey by Women most gigs.
We don't do it, only because all the cover bands around do, and we try to set ourselves apart.
Besides that, the guy sings crazy high!

Neal is Badass!

When I was a kid in the 70s Journey was a chick band all the way, at least in my circle.
Dudes thought it was wimpy and the singing was not manly enough.
I respected it much more as time went by, and there's no denying how good they are.
Keep in mind, as killer of a player as Shon is, he was really only average in the hey day of guitar players.

Child prodigy playing with Santana as a teen, Billy Gibbons was also a child prodigy.

spakuloid

Neil schon is a bad ass and was onstage with Santana at Woodstock as a teenager. He had his original riffs ripped off by Kansas, and even Rush borrowed a few riffs. The rest is jealousy because they changed their sound to more pop after Perry took over lead vocals. It is nonsense, journey was an incredible band. The only hatred should be for that fat ass Randy Jackson claiming he was part of Journey as his claim to fame. He played the ROR tour. Big deal. That was the end of Journey for all intents and purposes at that point anyway - even though he was fine on that tour. Neil is unreal. And yeah he can shrEd with the best of them. I put him up there with Lukather as far as ability. But he is way way more valuable at coming up with incredible melodies in both his rhythm and his leads, so,I think he is actually better in that respect. No slag on Luke. Both monster players.

Last edited:

guitz

Silver Supporting Member
I dig the **** out of Journery's stuff just before the Escape album and their mega-success. City of The Angels is just a killer tune...Line of Fire, same...Stone in Love...Just the Same Way...

gmann

Neil schon is a bad ass and was onstage with Santana at Woodstock as a teenager. He had his original riffs ripped off by Kansas, and even Rush borrowed a few riffs. The rest is jealousy because they changed their sound to more pop after Perry took over lead vocals. It is nonsense, journey was an incredible band. The only hatred should be for that fat ass Randy Jackson claiming he was part of Journey as his claim to fame. He played the ROR tour. Big deal. That was the end of Journey for all intents and purposes at that point anyway - even though he was fine on that tour. Neil is unreal. And yeah he can shrEd with the best of them. I put him up there with Lukather as far as ability. But he is way way more valuable at coming up with incredible melodies in both his rhythm and his leads, so,I think he is actually better in that respect. No slag on Luke. Both monster players.
Neil Schon was not onstage with Santana at Woodstock.

spakuloid

Neil Schon was not onstage with Santana at Woodstock.
agh my bad - been drinking again - fixed - 1971 with Santana :brick

Both of these are from 1976

vs.

This one is from 1977

vs. Tom Sawyer - Rush (1981)

Last edited:

neoprimitive

people who hate journey are usually the same people who hate on Styx.. both bands could play circles around you with their eyes closed.. both bands are legends.. schon can play like a mofo.. keep on diggin it?. its real music, and that's all that matters?.

halcyon85

Both of these are from 1976
Whoa. The latter one, I see how someone might consider it a ripoff, but I think it might be more coincidental. That first song though, that's pretty blatant. The albums that those songs were released on both came out the same year, though. Makes me wonder. The Kansas album came out after the Journey album, so... that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it definitely doesn't do Kansas any favors.

Thanks for sharing. And thanks for all of the responses, guys. :aok

Igotsoul4u

Ugh. I hate Journey so much. I prefer Styx or Boston any day. They at least have some soul.

1.The lyrics are corny.
2. The chord progressions are as pedestrian as it gets.
3. I hate Steve Perry's voice. People regularly view him as one of the best singers ever.....:brick Sounds like some kind of crappy broadway show wannabe. They're a chick band in my book.
4. If I could pick one song to never hear again it would be "Don't Stop Believing" I'm pretty sure if I massacred an entire bar or drunk girls belting out "Don't stop believing" I would not be convicted of any crime.

filtersweep

...the slow dance music in JR High parties...

I don't know that they are really that hated. Back in the day they were sometimes considered to be 'soft rock.' But Journey, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, and Styx where all over the airwaves. Ballads and 'candy ass' music were all over the place. Christopher Cross won like 3 Grammys back in 81 or something--- I was dumbstruck at the time.

I wasn't much of a fan since I was into Scorpions, and a bunch of British 'metal'--- stuff with serious guitars.

What I don't understand is their resurgence of popularity-- whether it is meant to be ironic, or what. Regardless, I find the Pinea story to be completely fascinating.

What I don't understand is their resurgence of popularity-- whether it is meant to be ironic, or what. Regardless, I find the Pinea story to be completely fascinating.
I think enough time has passed for the '80s to become cool again with the youth, while the '90s have become tacky.

wildschwein

I'm not sure what age group "older guys" are -- I'm 39 -- but my take is that people hate them because they were too successful. Mega-success can equal an albatross around the neck (ask the Bee Gees about Staying Alive). Nickelback is an analogous band today. I like all eras of Journey. My preference is for the first three records with just Rolie on vocals and I would have liked to have seen what they would have done with Fleischman singing but The Perry stuff is great too -- very well crafted Pop/Rock. Neal is a god as fas as I'm concerned. He took the Santana-style guitar expressionism to new frontiers (pun intended).

As an Australian I have a different view of them, as they were largely unknown here until the recent wave of '80s nostalgia flooded through Pop Culture -- suddenly everyone was on Itunes downloading "Don't Stop Believing".

Last edited:

Petethekiller

I really hate Don't Stop Believin, just hear it everywhere these days. It's good that every kid knows that number etc.. a proper tune, but it's overplayed now. Journey themselves were much better than the 80's acts that followed them, including Bon Jovi, but without Perry it's a tribute act now.

georgestrings

I hate them because I feel socially obligated to and I'm spineless enough to let other people tell me what to think.
Nailed it - same thing going on here regarding alot of today's country, IMO... Sure, some of it is absolute crap - but music has ALWAYS been that way - but alot of it is pretty good... Sometimes there is no accounting for popular tastes - but playing "chick friendly" music can ease the path to success, no doubt about it... Besides, there is nothing wrong with music just being "fun"...

Regarding Journey: some of their stuff got to be a little too pop oriented for my own musical tastes, but there's no denying their musical and vocal talents as a band...

- georgestrings

Trending Topics

Top Bottom