Older Mac G4 and ProTools?s

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JMA, Jan 27, 2006.

1. JMA

JMA Supporting Member

I've got an older Mac G4 400 Mhz model. I'm sure I should beef up the RAM (512 at present), but will the speed be enough to cut it with PT? Or am I looking at a computer investment as well. thanks very much - Jon

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Jon, which pro tools will you be running? HD or LE? My partner ran the high end version for years with a G3, and later a G4 processor with no problems, because he had a couple of the Digi cards in his computer.

He actually could run more plug-ins with the HD system on a G4, than with a native Logic system on a dual G5 machine.

But if I recall, Protools LE runs native. So you might want something faster in that case.

3. JMA

JMA Supporting Member

LS - Thanks for the reply. I'd be running LE. Mostly because I'm involved in a project with my drummer and he's got LE and a nice multi-input Digi input device for his drums. It'd be nice if I could do the guitar parts at my place without having to arrange times (and learn about PT in the process), etc. I'm unsure about what you mean by Digi cards. I assume they're slot loaded cards, but I didn't think that was necessary.

Thanks for your time
    Jon

4. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    One cheaper option would be to consider a processor upgrade.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If you can't get the g4 to run a few audio tracks you have something else wrong.

6. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

You should be able to run it, depending upon how many tracks you run and what kind of DSP you're trying to run. If you're just going to use it for recording, then there shouldn't be any problem.

f.w.i.w. . .I run a Pro Tools TDM Mix Plus system on my G4.

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

You'll be able to get away with it, you won't have much effect processing though. I ran a PT with a Digi001 on my Mac G4 350 with 512 and it did an okay job. I now run PT TDM Mix on it and it is still running strong.

Recenly my old Mac's battery finally died and I had to replace it, the thing is going on 6 1/2 years old! :)

8. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

You will be able to get a fair amount of tracks going, but if you are going to be wanting to use plugs, ect. it won't go very far. OWC has some processor upgrades that are pretty cheap. That and some ram might get a modest amount of processing.

Peace,
    dk

9. JMA

JMA Supporting Member

Thanks very much everyone. Right now it is the family computer, so another route may be in store. I wouldn't be doing many plug ins, just getting the guitar/bass parts on for a project that we're working on. We'd do the mixing/editing with the drummers newer/faster machine.

Again, Thanks - Jon