Oliver Woods' old Gibson acoustic and gear?

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone know the model of the vintage Gibson cutaway acoustic that Oliver Woods plays? And maybe what his acoustic signal chain is?

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Gold Supporting Member
While he has a number of guitars that I’ve seen him play, the three most common are the Gibson you asked about (a CF-100), the Guild T-100D electric, and a recent National Resophonic Tricone.

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Gold Supporting Member
Did you not believe my reply? LOL

The acoustic guitar you are asking about is a Gibson CF-100. His is a 1955. He uses a combination of Sunrise pickup, and the band also sometimes uses Ear Trumpet condenser mics on the acoustic instruments.

His primary electric is a 1960 Guild T100D. He most often uses a small 5 watt Kay amp with an 8” speaker. He has underwear stuffed in the guitar, fully hollow, to reduce feedback.

His resonator is a recent National Resophonic Tricone. It was a gift from Zac Brown.

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
Did you not believe my reply? LOL

The acoustic guitar you are asking about is a Gibson CF-100. His is a 1955. He uses a combination of Sunrise pickup, and the band also sometimes uses Ear Trumpet condenser mics on the acoustic instruments.

His primary electric is a 1960 Guild T100D. He most often uses a small 5 watt Kay amp with an 8” speaker. He has underwear stuffed in the guitar, fully hollow, to reduce feedback.

His resonator is a recent National Resophonic Tricone. It was a gift from Zac Brown.
Boxers or briefs?

Wag

Forgive my off topic reply:

I've long been a fan of Oliver's and as much as I like The Wood Brothers...

*sigh*

...I sure do miss King Johnson.

zombywoof

While I do not have a clue who Oliver Woods is I did own a 1957 CF-100E. I ended up parting with it after I snagged a 1932 12 fret L-1. Gibson cut production of the CF-100 way back at mid-decade because they were not selling finally pulling the plug on the whole project in 1959. Apparently the guitar buying public was not ready for a cutaway flattop. I thought though they were the sexiest Gibson ever made.

Wag

While I do not have a clue who Oliver Woods is I did own a 1957 CF-100E....

..... I thought though they were the sexiest Gibson ever made.
Allow me to introduce you and yea....it is a sexy guitar to be sure.

{Oliver tuning up his Gibby}

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Allow me to introduce you and yea....it is a sexy guitar to be sure.

{Oliver tuning up his Gibby}

Oof...that's not an acoustic tone I'd be looking to emulate. Sounds like the action is too low to my hears. Thin tone and lots of string slap. I'm sure there are people who are into that.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
Oof...that's not an acoustic tone I'd be looking to emulate. Sounds like the action is too low to my hears. Thin tone and lots of string slap. I'm sure there are people who are into that.
I've never been one to oogle over Olivers tone either. It's ....different. It's one that sits in their mix well though for some reason.

I took lessons for a few months from Oliver a while back...he had a lot of instruments in the house. He was one of the nicest humans I've ever met and he knows his theory really well. I've also heard him let it loose very few times...he's a super talented guy, far beyond what most of his songs show guitar wise.

Trending Topics