• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

olympic white vs vintage?

dazco

What is the difference? It's hard to tell from pics because of the variation in lighting when a pic was taken and the variation on PC's when editing them, etc etc. But from what i can tell, vintage while is almost creme...a slight yellowish tint. Olympic has no yellow tint at all but is more of a off white. Sorta like you might get if you mixed white with a tiny bit of black. Is this about right?

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/519075

Depends upon the age, the condition, how and where's been kept, the vintage and paint types... I've seen some remain Olympic White longer then others and those from the 70's going yellow really quickly while others from the 60's staying more white and less yellow. My 82 Olympic White is now a lovely cream colour heading more towards yellow but I don't think it will ever get like the YELLOW one's from the 70's.

I like them all myself, but I'm partial to Olympic Cream moreso than White. :BEER

m@2

yah, i think olympic only gets yellow after a long time (or lots of smoke/nicotine exposure)

vintage white starts with a yellow tint, and gets more yellow IME

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
I'd agree with you. Oly white has a (blackish?) tint to it while vintage white is a custard color. I sure wish they would offer the AVRI in vintage white. It's been a long time since they offered that color. I almost ordered my Suhr Antique in it.

rockstarjay

I've seen some remain Olympic White longer then others and those from the 70's going yellow really quickly while others from the 60's staying more white and less yellow.
The yellowing is a chemical reaction with the clear coat. Many years from the 60's, Fender would not clear coat the white ones so they wouldn't turn yellow.

Vintage white on a modern fender looks like banana yellow in real life. It's more extreme than it looks online. And different from an actually aged white guitar. I personally like a really white guitar.

Here's my guitar with naturally yellowed finish:

So I refinished it last month (I like it white):

dazco

According to that warmoth page (and thanks for that) it's vintage white or creme i like. Both seem like the same but VW being a much lighter shade of creme. I think i'd like either, but olympic looks almost like start pure white on that page. then again my monitor here ar work is cr@p. I had a 80's squire strat that was exacly what i want. I'd say it was right in the middle between creme and VW on the warmoth page.

K-Line

Vendor
Look at the Wildwood strats/teles. They usually have a tone of different variations in Oly. They technically all are supposed to be Oly white and some aged to what Fender now calls Vintage White.

Husky

What is the difference? It's hard to tell from pics because of the variation in lighting when a pic was taken and the variation on PC's when editing them, etc etc. But from what i can tell, vintage while is almost creme...a slight yellowish tint. Olympic has no yellow tint at all but is more of a off white. Sorta like you might get if you mixed white with a tiny bit of black. Is this about right?
"Real " Olympic as it was sprayed in the day is like Eggshell White. Almost like our Parchment pickguard.
The difference in color is as already mentioned, sometimes clear coat was used which turned yellow, sometimes they didn't use any clear coat.
It will only yellow if it is nitro lacquer BTW.

5E3

Here is a Vintage White Tele I had (non original pick guard). It was only about 1 year old when this pic was taken. It was definitely a yellow color.

Trending Topics