OM style guitar ?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by A440, Sep 8, 2005.

1. A440

A440 Supporting Member

Hey All, I've been looking at various OM style guitars and like the Larrivee', Collings, and Santa Cruz offerings.

Any other recommendations out there?

I don't want a cutaway, and would like spruce top, rosewood back and sides. Also contemplating a non-invasive type of pickup system (maybe).

2. kilgorekid

kilgorekid Member

OM's are great guitars! I have a buddy who just got a Martin OM 18V and it plays and sounds fantastic. All of the fine guitar makers have OM models. Guess you'll just have to try them out until you find the right one. Good luck.
    Bill

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

My personal choice would be a Santa Cruz OM/PW. It sits at a nice price/performance point. I've played a few that were absolutely killer.

You should also track down a Goodall OM to try, as they do an excellent job of maintaining the Goodall sound in an OM package. Expensive, but it might be what you are looking for.

Bryan

4. Gazza

Gazza Member

Huss and Dalton! Great guitars.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Add Bourgeois to the short list.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Merrill makes a nice one.

I've played OMs from Collings, Martin, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Goodall. Collings was the clear winner for me, Adirondack top, mahogany sides/back. It has a sweet voice with a nice articulate top end. They are all great guitars, though, you can't go wrong with any of them. The Goodall doesn't really have a traditional OM voice, though, despite it's name....

7. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have a Collings OM1A, and love it. The only other OM that I played that I thought was its equal was a Santa Cruz OM. (not the PW) I also played a Froggy Bottom that was extraordinary. Some of the Martins are very good, but they vary. I think Santa Cruz is building better Martins these days.

8. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

You might want to check out Stephen Stratton. http://www.strattonguitars.com/

He worked for me for a while. Incredible craftsman and really cool dude. Before that, he worked making bodies at CFOX and as a wood guy at Allied Luthiery.

Very good guitars!

9. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Tacoma or Froggy Bottom would be my choice, not that you can go wrong with any of these.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Larrivve OM 3R

11. A440

A440 Supporting Member

Saul, thx for the heads up on Stratton. I hadn't heard of him before. His guitars look amazing.

As far as bang for the buck, I still like the Larrivee' OM 50 (Mahog back) and 60 (rosewood).

just like this one :)

[​IMG]

12. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Member

Martin makes really nice guitars right now. Consider the Martin OM guitars. They are legit.

13. jayn

jayn Member

I play dreads now, but I went on a big search for an OM a number of years ago.

To my ear, the Santa Cruz and the Collings were by far the best OM's. I picked a Santa Cruz OM because it had more sparkle than the Collings. I also really like their OM/PW's. A really special Collings is something to behold though. And, give the Martin vintage series a shot. That's what I play now.

I've played a few of the traditional series Larrivees and they all sound pretty dead to me. I'd stay away from them.

14. Bajan

Bajan Member

Agreed. I have a Martin OM28V and maybe I just got a really good one but it is spectacular. While looking I played several Collings and Santa Cruz (but not the PW OM) and I liked the Martin better. It just had that tone I wanted and the playability was great too. I also had a chance to play an original '30 OM28 and that was a treat. One other guitar that really grabbed me was a Bourgeois dred, great sounding guitar. I bet his OMs are great as well. The good thing is that there are so many great guitars being built now so you really have lots of choices.

Shane.

15. John Mayes

John Mayes Member

yep Bourgeois makes killer OM's. I worked with him for a year, and helped build hundreds of bourgeois guitars, and they are top notch.

Look for something used and you can score a much better deal on a guitar that has opened up some to boot.

16. iDavid

iDavid Member

17. Bajan

Bajan Member

Didn't Dana build the Schoenbergs for a while? if so, his OMs should be very good.

Shane.

18. John Mayes

John Mayes Member

Dana built the original schoenbergs! A guy named bruce sexauer (who also makes awesome instruments) builds them now.

19. JPF

JPF Member

Larrivée OM-05 is beautifully balanced to my ears, and records very well with minimal miking hassles (my 12-string dreadnought is a beat to mike properly - too boomy).

I love the Martins and Froggy Bottom guitars too, though.

20. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Bourgeois OM Vintage

Comes standard with adirondack spruce top and indian rosewood back/sides.

I have the dread version and it's perfect.