Omega Modded HRD 410 Review!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by matthet, Apr 3, 2008.

1. matthet

matthet Member

So, My DeVille came in today, was waiting for me after class. I sent it to Jim Price at Omega Amps (www.omegaamps.com) not long ago. He did his standard mod (which, for all of you that have been following his mods, is a new circuit, mine is the third he's done now with the new circuit) plus the footswitchable mid boost.
    So here's the break down by channel.

Clean- WOW! This channel is understated, I think by most. The more I hear it, the more I love it. Very Twin-ish. Fat, mellow, but has punchiness in reserve. It's a gorgeous tone, not as bright and harsh as the original channel. Honestly, after hearing this, I have realized, the original clean channel just wasn't as good as I initially thought. Jim really rounded this channel off. It has a great natural balance of what most look for in a clean channel: Fat, warm tone. FANTASTIC!!

Clean+MIDBOOST- All of the above with a big helping of boost! sends the clean into overdrive when the amp's close to pushing, if the clean channel were a softball, the MB clean channel is a bowling ball. If that makes ANY sense.

Yellow Drive(1st Drive Channel)- HOLY CRAP!!!! This is the most improved channel on this new circuit compared to his older ones, according to him, and the clips i've heard online. Just an amazing OD channel. Very full sounding, very rich. Smooth fat overdrive. Take a tubescreamer, make it better, rounder, and put it in your amp, haha! It gives a barky TS feel. It really is tough to put into words. But I can say it is my favorite channel!

Yellow Drive+ MIDBOOST- Like a punch in the face! You know those sounds that put lumps in your throat? THAT!! hopefully some of you know what i'm talking about. BROWN overdrive with a wonderful ability to cut through the mix. It's a TS-9, morbidly obese on steroids!!

Red Drive(2nd Drive Channel)- HELLO ROCK! take the yellow channel and overdrive it some more! Gives a Marshall Dumble lovechild feel. Very rich, but also growly at the same time!

Red Drive+ MIDBOOST- welcome to feedback HEAVEN! If your crowd were falling asleep on you, this would be the adrenaline rip to wake them up! the pure essence of ROCK!!!!

Guys, this is one GREAT sounding amp! I wish I had the ability to put some clips up. But I can say, for me, this puts the discussion of whether the mod is worth it or not to rest. Some say the amp just isn't worth modding, sell it and save up for a boutique amp. There just ins't anything that i've played on withing 1500 bucks of what i've spent on this thing that sounds as good, is as versatile, it's just THAT GOOD!

It's a tough amp to put into words without A/B'n it with similar amps. What i can truly say with confidence, is that this amp is worth 3 times what i paid for it in tone!!
    GET ONE!!!

2. mik777

mik777 Member

The clips on the Omega don't do the amp justice!! Try changing the output tranny to a Mercury Magnetics the get some new speakers to tighten up the bass response!! then ii would be a Omega HR Dumbleface!

3. tuubes

tuubes Member

THANK YOU for allowing me to play FRANKENSTEIN on your amp! She is ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace and blessings, jim@Omegaamps.com
    http://www.myspace.com/omegaamps

4. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

It would be nice to be able to compare a before and after, or modded and non-modded clip to check out the difference.

5. matthet

matthet Member

did that this weekend
    HUGE difference
    for everyone that has one, you know where you stand with your clean channel: ok, gets harsher as you turn it up, and terrible at break up
    your drive channels: unusable

well, i've already gone on and on about how awesome the new channels are
    i forgot to mention how GREAT the clean channel's breakup is!!!! It sounds AWESOME!!! kinda black crowes SHAMC-ish with the midboost, which will send it into break much earlier, VERY USABLE!!!!

the more i play this amp, the more in love with it i fall!! Seriously, it's that GOOD!!!

6. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

That would be interesting. I have a HR Deluxe that sounds similar to what was described above, but it's been a long time since I tried a stock Deluxe. All I remember is the clean channel getting a bit thin and harsh at higher volumes... at least that much is definitely improved.

7. tuubes

tuubes Member

Hey man! Believe it or not the bass response is TIGHT on OD channels ( alien circuit tweaks) , no changes necessary, but....i agree..... when i built for Diaz the MMag`s were AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I had the GREAT pleasure of playing not one but also BUILDING (2) of Warren Haynes Diaz specials..The CD-100`s HAD the MMAGS, but WH`s DIDn`t, i could def tell the diff, even tho WH`s amps were a SMOKIN, to my ears the std trannies jusy gave a more hi-end roll-off like a worn out 68 bassman 50 watter! The CD-100` were pract HIFI but ORGANIC, only way i can describe the MMMAGS! They are VERY good, VERY VERY GOOD (cheks in the mail Scott L.)

THNAK YOU for your KIND comments in a DEMENTED cyberspace!

Bless Jesus from whom all TONAL things flow..

jim@Omegaamps.com

8. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I have re-discovered my HRD-4X10 lately. I have a question for matthet. Does Jim put the mid-boost control into the HRD footswitch, or is it another pedal? I've been watching this thread for awile now, and I am considering this mod also. Thanks in advance.

9. matthet

matthet Member

since it requires power, he puts a jack and a new transformer in your chassis (does a great job of it, looks stock like it shoulda been there all along!!) and sends a Marshall type one button footswitch with a red LED your way. It just plugs in, in the back of your amp next to your 12ax7's through the 1/4" cable he supplies. If you don't want the footswitch he can just put a push/pull knob/pot in place of the old treble knob that turns the boost on (UP position) and off (DOWN position). I opted for the footswitch cause i like the idea of turning it on and off during gigs, but you get the knob mod with it as well if you lose your footswitch.

It costs a little more, but is WELL worth it, and when you look at prices relative to stomp boxes, it's right on par with a good boost pedal!

Dude, if you're considering Jim's mod, i say with NO reserve, GO FOR IT! Honestly, it's the best thing i've done for my set up YET! The clean channel improvements ALONE are worth it, tack on two awesome OD channels, and honestly you'll feel guilty for not paying more!

The clips on his site are pretty old, while you can get the sound they show, you can get even better tones now! This is a new circuit, so if you're researching it and see complaints (so far he's done 3 or four counting mine with this new circuit) he's likely addressed them in the new design.

Your best bet, is to give Jim a call. He's a REALLY cool dude to talk to. He's extremely helpful, and his heart is really in this stuff, so he's gonna do all he can to make you happy, GREAT customer service! I've got the emails sent at 2 am on a Monday morning to prove it!!

Bottom line, he takes a so-so, pretty plain amp, and gives it WINGS! i LOVE playing the thing!!!

10. Bikedude

Thanks again matthet for the info. Your review is great and has got me gassing again.

11. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey uys, does anyone know if Jim can do these mods to an older blues deville 4x10? I have the older model before the hot-rod series.
    Thanks,
    Kurt

12. Bikedude

Why not ask Jim?

13. matthet

matthet Member

no problem man! glad it lit the fire!

14. matthet

matthet Member

yea man call Jim at 336-921-2413, he'll more than likely be able to do something cool with it, he says he likes the older boards (made in USA) better, says they tend to sound better in the end.

15. stelligan

stelligan Member

Love my Omega modded HRD. A wolf in sheep's clothing.....
    Jim is great to deal with.

16. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

17. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I get mine back tomorrow after a slight tweak from Jim.

I played through a stock HRD a few times since I sent it to him and the clean channel just doesn't do it for me (I didn't even try the drive channels). His mods are great and all I really need personally.

Great value and product.

18. matthet

matthet Member

what kinda tweak did you get done?

19. Deaj

Deaj Member

The Omega modded HRD/HRDx amps offer perhaps the best bang for the buck factor I've experienced in guitar amps - production, mod, or boutique. Fantastic sounding amps and extraordinary service - Jim is the goods!! :AOK

20. matthet

matthet Member