OMG...I've become a budget amp guy!

NoBrakes

That's not a derogatory remark about lower dollar gear but I was messing around last night and realized all my vintage or higher dollar amps are gone. I am trying to decide if I want a TA-30 combo or head.. and I do want to give the Mini Mark a look. What I have left; Peavey Bravo, Modded Peavey C30, H&K TM36 and a Vox Pathfinder 15r. A Marshall DSL40c is on the way. I don't play electric out anymore and nothing is on the horizon but any of these amps could do a gig easily. All this stuff sounds pretty good but for some reason I still want something like a Mesa. I don't know why.

Last edited:

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Once you have been up the boutique mountain, coming down with near ears helps get good tones from more things.

We constantly say that legends like SRV and Jimi would sound stellar on crappy. I believe this is because they understood what the gear is capable of.

I downsized from a Maz Jr. to a SF Princeton. I am not missing anything. And I would not snub my nose if someone asked me to play and all they had was a Peavey practice amp or a Crate power block.

micycle

I've always been a budget amp guy! Never really had an interest in the boutique thing and even if I did I don't have the money for it. I’ve gone the tube route a couple of times and yeah, they sound great, but what it mostly boils down to is I don’t want to carry damned things, especially now that I live and gig in NYC. Plus I don’t want to deal with the maintenance. My go-to amp for years has been the Trademark 60 and/or Power Engine 60. I just recently tried a Mustang III (v2) and it’s quickly becoming my new favorite. $200 (used) for a louder-than-hell 35lb box vs. how much for a boutique amp? It’s a no-brainer as far as my needs are concerned.

csweldon

Some of the best tone I've ever had was that old Crate V3112T. I'll no doubt own another someday!

guitarman3001

Some of the best tone I've ever had was that old Crate V3112T. I'll no doubt own another someday!
I have a Palomino V32 combo and a V32 head. Awesome tone but way too loud for what I can use them for. And the combo is heavy as hell.

I'm actually considering selling them. I haven't used them for probably two years now.

NoBrakes

I have a Palomino V32 combo and a V32 head. Awesome tone but way too loud for what I can use them for. And the combo is heavy as hell.

I'm actually considering selling them. I haven't used them for probably two years now.
I had a couple of Palominos and a 3112T.. sounded great... as mentioned...heavy and loud. Master volume was almost like a switch.

guitarman3001

I had a couple of Palominos and a 3112T.. sounded great... as mentioned...heavy and loud. Master volume was almost like a switch.
Yep, pretty much. At 0 it's off, by 1 the bar manager is complaining and the patrons are covering their ears. There is no practical or usable gradual volume increase. It's either off or too loud.

But man do they sound good!

Silent Sound

I'm not an amp collector, but I do own a few vintage and custom made amps. Okay, I made the "custom" amps myself, but I designed them, quite successfully I might add, to be the "perfect" tone machines for what I wanted to do. So I'd take them over any boutique amp on the market... if I wasn't aloud to resell the boutique amp for a ton of money. I mean, who wouldn't take a Dumble, even if you didn't like them? But the one I use the most is my Bugera V22. Okay, to be fair, it is the one I keep at my practice space, so that's the reason it gets used the most. But still, it's a great sounding amp and I have played gigs with it and gotten compliments on my tone!

treewiz

I too have gone to the cheaper magic little wonder amp, the Mustang III V2 1x12 combo and i have owned and used it all. This great little amp works wonders for me and reacts and feels really good in my playing hands. Love that I did'nt spend an arm and a leg for it and it won't break my back!

Cerpin Taxt

I was gonna bash you for your spelling but then I saw your username. ;)

I've always preferred to sculpt my tone from less-expensive and/or "sleeper" amps that might be generally panned by boutique dudes. Right now it's a Carvin XV212 and a Peavey Classic 50.

bish0p34

There's nothing wrong with cheaper amps at all. I still think the Peavey Ultra series sounds great and I'd gladly still gig with it any day. I've got a Triamp MKII, Triple Rec, 6505, and I pretty much only use a Tubemeister 36 for all my gigs these days.

NoBrakes

I was gonna bash you for your spelling but then I saw your username. ;)

I've always preferred to sculpt my tone from less-expensive and/or "sleeper" amps that might be generally panned by boutique dudes. Right now it's a Carvin XV212 and a Peavey Classic 50.
I'm not such a bad speller just a horrible typist..:jo. I always have trouble with that letter combination, resgistered the name before I caught it. I have a soft spot for anything "sleeper".

Last edited:
Welcome to the club!

You know that saying that "X-amp is a poor man's _________"? I am that poor man.

Current stable houses a Marshall JCM 800 combo, an Ampeg/Lee Jackson VL-503, a Laney Pro Tube AOR, a Crate GT-50 Stealth, a Peavey Windsor, 4-4x12 cabs, a Gallien Krueger Backline 600, Carvin R1000, 2- Carvin 4x10, and a 1-15, plus an Orange practice amp. I'm slumming it. :-D

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
All I have ampwise is a Peavey Classic 30 and a Peavey Bravo. Together I paid $350. I am totally content.

Fishyfishfish

My best friend has been gigging two hod rod deluxes in stereo with a
Old rack effects unit since '95 and his tone is pretty freakin good.
Wish I was as sensible and concentrated on my playing instead of the latest and greatest
gear that's the color of the week.

bigtone23

I like amps that don't cost much. I have a Bravo & 83 Bandit for the small grab and go. I also have a 73 Bassman Ten (cost $300 about 10 years ago and I dropped $200 into it to get it running great) and a DSL50 Head that was $450.

inselwissen

The most expensive amp I ever bought ran me about 450€ (Vintage Traynor YGM-3).
I don't really understand why I should pay more than that when there's so many amazing sub-500€ amps out there. Music Man, Peavey Classic 50, Yamaha G-100II, SF Bassman, Traynor...

My current main setup is an Acoustic 270 head into a Jet City 2x12 w/ Celestion G12H-100s. Around 400€ total and it's extremely loud, has tons of headroom and sounds glorious. The onboard tremolo is surprisingly excellent as well!

enigma

Silver Supporting Member
My boutique amps come and go, but my Peavey Classic 30 with a Celestion V30 and Tung Sol tubes is here to stay.

Trending Topics