OMG Score! (vintage Ampeg content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mprvise, Sep 1, 2008.

1. mprvise

mprvise Member

I said I was done buying amps, but when a friend I ride motorcycles with said his mom was going to throw away her old accordian amp from the 1960's and did I want to have a look, well...

Turned out to be an Ampeg Reverberocket II GS-12-R that had been in her closet since 1969 or so. It is ALL ORIGINAL, including the tubes! We fired it up, and hell yeah it works. Sounds really good at low volumes and has some nice OD going in the 2:00 to 3:00 range on the volume. After I was done checking it out we agreed on a fair "friend" price, and he agreed to give the money to mom. Time to order a cover so I can take it to jams/gigs. :)

Oh, and if any of you have any info on these please feel free to share.

[​IMG]

2. cugel

cugel Member

i doubt a cooler looking amp was ever made
    great score and everyone is happy!

3. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

Very cool and very clean! Old Ampegs rock:dude

4. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Nice !

I would however replace the caps that may or may not give you problems . Amazing it works fine after sitting for so long .

5. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Old Ampeg is the sheezy! I love my mid-60s Gemini I. And they're still affordable. Let's hope that not everyone figures this out.

6. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I have one of those and it's pretty cool. The tremolo doesn't work and I need to change the tubes.

7. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've had a few of those over the years. Tremendous cleans up to about 2:00 or so. Great trem and reverb. Dime it and hit it with the bridge humbucker pickup and it's got a great overdrive sound. I'd consider putting a Greenback or Weber Bluedog ceramic speaker in there.

9. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

I use to own one just like that. A damn good amp. Great trem and I really loved the on/off hypnotic effect you get when you click it past full on the trem. Tubes are the 7591s too, nice tone.

BTW the chassis is shock mounted, quite an innovative design for the day.

10. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Why doesn't this ever happen to me? Nice score........lucky bastard.

11. ozspawn

ozspawn Member

Hey MPRVISE, I've got one of those too. The 7591 tubes are hard to find and expensive, so I got my tech to replace them with NOS RCA 6L6's.

I have a '66 Deluxe Reverb, a '69 Princeton Reverb and a '72 Super Reverb, and, dare I say, the Tremolo on the RRII is the best I've ever heard. The reverb is different than Fender's: it's more of an effect. Pretty cool.

The RRII has it's own vibe: very open, warm and airy, with a sweet grind at higher volumes. At low volumes it has a warm but super clean quality.

The RRII is a cathode biased amp with a solid state rectifier. This probably accounts for it's characteristic squishiness.

If you remove the chassis of the amp, you will appreciate the build quality of these old Ampegs. First, the chassis is shock mounted. How often do you see that? Second, the layout of the components and the lead dress are breath-taking. Ampegs were made with top quality stuff. How many old amps have this kind of quality?

The first thing I did with mine was replace the tired old CTS Alnico 12 with a Celestion Greenback. Huge improvement in tone.

Anyway, Congrats. These are fine amps.

12. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Great find!
    I think JJ is making the 7591 again.

13. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Nice score! If you grow tired of it... :D

Yess, JJ is making the 7591s, I just used some in a build. They work great.

14. hamstrat

hamstrat Member

That looks just like my first amp. A 1966 model that I made payments of $10 a month to Veneman Music which at the time was located in Silver Spring, MD. Wish I still had it, wonderful amp. Mine came stock with a Jensen speaker and if you have a Jensen in yours I would not replace it. What a wonderful amp!

15. AL30

AL30 Member

There are new 7591's on the market. No need to change over to 6L6's anymore. Great amp !!!

AL

16. mprvise

mprvise Member

Thanks for all the great info guys, especailly ozspawn. As I was trying out both inputs last night I noticed the chassis seemed loose - that makes sense now that I know it's shock mounted. After playing the amp for a few hours last night I'm thinking I will leave it exactly as is. The old Jensen speaker sounds great, and the amp is not making any strange noises - in fact it's quieter than some of my newer amps. Eventually it will probably need some TLC (caps, tubes, etc.). I'll be taking it to a tech for a check up soon, and will be replacing the AC cord with a three prong plug.

I'm really digging the trem and reverb on this thing. The reverb is just nuts at higher settings, especially with a fuzz in front. Speaking of which, this amp had never had a guitar plugged into it until yesterday, and certainly had not had a fuzz run through it. According to my friend's mom, she never played very loud, and the volume probably hadn't ever been over 12:00. It's almost as if I went back in time about 40 years and picked up a new/slightly used amp. I'm pleased. :banana

17. neil99

neil99 Member

Nice! My brother picked one up for $50 from a guy that was cleaning out an old house a few years ago. Pretty sweet little amp. I have been "storing" it for him.

18. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Just plug in your Cordovox accordion and let her rip.
    :dude

19. nomadh

nomadh Member

Throw away? Throw away!
    What a waste that would be. I get a similar shudder when someone gets pulled out of the road just as a truck comes by.

20. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Totally missed this!!! OK...... comin by this week! PM me your schedule.....

sick score man!!! SLOW DOWN!!!!