OMG this new VH record is fudgin GREAT

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by the fat one, Feb 14, 2012.

1. the fat one

the fat one Senior Member

Yesiree Jim Bobcat tail.

[​IMG]

2. the fat one

Damn! Wow! Holy ****!

Man, I don't know what's wrong with a lot of these long-time fans who say they're so disappointed with this new CD. Me, it's becoming my favorite Van Halen record, and I already like it as much as Fair Warning so all I can say is just interjection after exclamation at how I dig it so much.

3. the fat one

track 5 reminds me of Eddie Money's 2 tickets to paradise song ... lotta '70s vibe on here ... lotta heavy stuff ... lotta recognizable good VH-isms ... a song I swore I heard before, you know how that is ... lotta party stuff ... would be good for a road trip ...

awesome record - man, can't believe the old-timers aren't as into it. I didn't think the younger people would be really into it, but figured every 40-something would let the shell of modernity fall away, or the barnacle-encrustment, or whatever yer old dust-farting trip is. Be a kid, it's Van Halen. And it's damn good Van Halen.

4. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I agree. It's excellent.

5. the fat one

Def my fave album for Alex! The drums are righteous.

I'm digging all the effects and the wah or whatever Edwardo is using.

Roth is ON.

3rd spin. Just picked this up from Target. I'm so glad and relieved this kicks so much ass. I love every song.

6. the fat one

yeah man - I'm outta PBRs. Beer run. I'm gonna listen to this all night. It sounds like 2012 VH.

track 8 is my fave prolly. Is Ed using a Whammy pedal? Sounds like Wolfie is using a Q-Tron or something on the bass.

some of Edward's lead work on here is pretty interstellar, even for him

yay

7. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

It's number 6 in Finland.

8. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

My only complaint, if any, is that the mastering is too loud and compressed. It's kind of murky in the bottom end, and Alex's drums are missing that famous "snap". I would like a little more dynamics, so everything isn't all loud all the time. Mind you, it's not nearly as bad as Death Magnetic, one of the worst mastering jobs ever created, but it could have been so much clearer.

9. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the overcompressed music land.

Sad but true.

10. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

It's the "Loudness War". Sometime back in the 90s, some bean counters at the major labels got the idea that all their CDs must be LOUD! Who cares if it doesn't sound as good any more, as long as it's LOUD LOUD LOUD! Compress it! Smash it! Crank it till it distorts! Death Magnetic sounds like a CD playing through a Marshall Stack.

Now whenever I see a CD that says "Digitally Remastered", that's a red flag. Means they probably screwed it up.

11. dohootowl

dohootowl Member

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I was listening to an old Heart track on iTunes, then one of the new VH songs came on and almost blew me out of my chair (and not in a good way).

12. the fat one

mix & master on this sounds just fine to me! Ed's crunch is right in there sounding good in the modern context, the cool bass parts jump out and the bass fills out nice, the drums sound great, and sound just like my Ludwigs, Roth is way more out front and that's cool too....sounds great to me! I think it sounds really good.

13. Ye Black Knight

Ye Black Knight Member

Verily, this knight must concur - this discus "A Different Kind o' Truth" be'ith a triumphant return to form!

Most cautious was this knight about these troubadours re-group'age. For mine concern be'ith that they quest for quick treasures in exchange for ye tarnish'ment of theire reputation, with heretofore unhearde odes most stale and uninspired!

Yet this knights fears be'ith unwarranted, and Lords Van Halen hath returned with an album of ferocious and infectious Rock! 'Tis as if theire estrangement doth never hath occur'd!

This post now concludeth!

14. Louthunder

Louthunder Member

Is it released on vinyl yet?? That would bring some of the "old school" sound back!!! By the way, I love the album too!!

15. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I'm digging every song on it ... man! it has a lot of energy and it's a fun record to listen to. I'm catching more and more of Dave's humor .... he's a character. Eddie adds some new stuff to his playing along with the old familar stuff. Alex picked it up a notch and Wolfy is a smokin good bass player!

I didn't like Tattoo at first, but now I do .... It's got a very cool groove to it and I even like the subtle keyboard fills in the back ground! :hiP

I can diggith that!

16. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

The guys who run the internet don't like it, but they've given up complaining about ADKOT, they are now standing by with arms crossed saying "let's see what happens when VH runs out of old demo's."

17. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I like this new guy! :rotflmao

18. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

How's that?

19. c_mac

c_mac Member

I really like what the Van Halens (Ed, Alex, and Wolf) are doing on this CD. I just REALLY don't like what DLR brought to songs. I know I'm supposed to be so stoked to have him back in the band but I'm totally underwhelmed by his melodies and lyrics. I know some will scoff at this but I think this would have been better as a Sammy record. Ultimately, I think it still turned out alright.

20. will132

will132 Member

Awesome cd. Wake up with riffs in my head.