1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ominidirectional Dynamic Mics

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MickyZ, May 15, 2011.

1. MickyZ

MickyZ Member

I have a need for an omnidirectional dynamic mic in 6-8 weeks, for an outdoor wedding event. It is likely to be stand-mounted, although there is a possibility that it also might be hung above the wedding party. My two candidates right now are the Shure SM63 and the EV RE50/B. Does anyone here have any experience with either or both mcs? Are there any others I should know about? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

The old standby EV 635 if you run across one.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

Yup.

A local store has several in VGC at decent prices.

http://www.soundsource.com/

Great store - I'm sure they'd hook you up.

4. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

I use omni dynamics all the time. The ones that get the most use are the Beyer M101N(C), Sennheiser MD21 and MD211, AKG D160 and D130.

A couple of weeks ago I recorded a song to an existing pedal steel track supplied by a friend. I probably have 40 mics within 6 feet of where we were sitting, but I just did everything except the vocal with one of the Sennheisers (which I think I paid about $60 for); acoustic guitar, upright bass, drums, shaker. All the work we did took maybe 3 hours, with no more than 3 takes of anything, several of them were just one take (including me on drums, and I don't even play drums). It was brain dead simple, since there was just one mic on one stand that I just moved over to whatever was next, doing no test recordings or listening before tracking.

Then at the end, when it seemed like we couldn't break that song if we tried, we added a vocal take too, on a natural sounding condenser mic.

The mix was extremely easy. It was disorienting, because normally my work flow is based around starting off by fixing problems and tracks that irritate me... and I wasn't finding any. The mix took maybe ten minutes, and that was with some rather nit picky comparison listens. I only did, I think, 4 automations, just to kill noise before tracks came in or at the end.

It's one of the best sounding tunes we have from that band. Now I'm rethinking my whole approach. Right now I'm thinking that a circus monkey, trained to set a clean compressor for a little bit of leveling, record at -18 dbfs average levels, and pull the omni dynamic mic over to the thing that is making the sound, could probably beat most tracking engineers. IOW, maybe we're trying way too hard.

5. MickyZ

MickyZ Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but I take it that the mics you mentioned are vintage mics? None of them can be found on Musicians Friend. Some can be found on eBay. Your thoughts on acquiring any of them?

6. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Member

And the reason why you specify a dynamic?

Fran

7. MickyZ

MickyZ Member

I suppose I could use a condensor - I have phantom power available. I don't need the clarity that a condensor provides, as it will be used in an outdoor PA setting. As of now I would prefer to use a rugged omni mic that resists wind noise and the potental for high moisture (especially if it should rain). If a condensor fits that bill, I'm not against it.

8. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

All of the ones I have came from ebay. There are numerous MD21s and usually multiple D130s at any given time.

I doubt there are any new production omni dynamics that can compete in quality and durability (relative to price) with the old ones which are still cheap and very plentiful.

EV still makes the RE50 and 635N/D, but they go for around $250, you can probably get 5 of these vintage mikes for what one of those new ones costs, if you have a little patience.

A few months ago I bought 16 AKG D160 in good shape other than the foam in the (removable) caged grille for about $15 apiece, they made nice gifts for my recording friends in town, none of whom had an omni dynamic.