Omnisphere, who has it, do you use it?

Gibby60

Silver Supporting Member
I've been looking at Omnisphere, but I think it's mostly GAS. I have all the NI synths in Komplete, and I use Alchemy. I'm a soundtrack guy, I don't know if I can really use this, or wait until Komplete Ultimate goes on sale. I tried it at Synthplex, and it seemed cool, but is it $495 cool?

Madsen

I've been tempted to pick it up for a while as well. Also have NI Komplete & a bunch of other options, makes it hard to justify $500 for what is ultimately a soft synth. Sounds great & I think this year there was some new functionality where it communicates with a bunch of old synths as well.

Last edited:

Gibby60

Silver Supporting Member
I've been tempted to pick it up for a while as well. Also have NI Komplete & a bunch of other options, makes it hard to justify $500 for what is ultimately a soft synth. Sounds great & I think this year there was some new functionality where it communicates with a bunch of old synths as well.
Yes, I don’t need it, I do need some stuff on Komplete 12 Ultimate, the Strings, Horns, and Action Strikes are worth 300. I like a lot about NI. But My gas is passing, thank you.

Madsen

I hear it pairs really well with the Haken Continuum. If I ever have budget for that I'll be sure to pick it up.

Last edited:

LittleWiggler

Every Village Needs One
Omnisphere is a very very deep VST.

Great VA stuff with most of the classics synth waveforms.

1000's of presets - most are atmosphere/soundtrack type stuff.

If you get it don't start auditioning presets - you will spend days and not find what you are looking for. Spend the time to learn the interface and each of the screens.

It is easy to navigate, but again, very very deep.

Chimuelo

I use the Keyscape section to layer with other sampled instruments.
For polyphonic work its okay too.
Demos of Keyscape sound great but on stage that dog wont hunt.
Its just not beefy but it does have excellent attacks and other overlooked treats that make it blend well with PianoTeq and Kontakt.
As a matter of fact I dont have a single sample or instrument that isnt layered.
They just dont sound big enough unless I layer a couple, 3 for really big ballsy EPianos.

I use a Hammond B3 Module, and a pair of SE-02 analogs.
Ampeg SVT Tube top and Marshall Anniversary stack and micd drums are what Im up against.
If you dont layer its on you.

JonSick

I have Komplete and Omnisphere. There is a lot in Komplete but I do tend to prefer the workflow and overall operation of Omnisphere more. And there are so many out of the box sounds that work really well.

I like the plain patch creation process as well. I saw a youtube video ages ago where someone went through his process. I followed it and pretty much started doing the same. I found it way more intuitive and easier to get great results than Absynth for example. That said I haven't used Absynth in a fair while.

I do want to upgrade to Komplete Ultimate though... whenever it goes on sale.

Mango Positive

Gold Supporting Member
I was irresponsible and bought it on a whim. I got tired of waiting to find a band, so I upgraded my computer and bought a bunch of programs (most of which, I still don't know how to use with my DAW (of which I also only have the basics down)). It's definitely cool. Almost $500 cool? I don't know. I don't play golf or drive a Harley, so I rolled the dice.

stevel

I wonder about this.

I'm an old guy, and use external synths.

I just got something where I could download some NI stuff to see what all the fuss was about.

After running through a bunch of presets, I realized what all the fuss is about - young people, who didn't grow up with older synths, simply don't realize older synths exist (outside of over-priced vintage things like old Moogs - they're unaware of Fantoms or Motifs and things like that) and they have no basis for comparison.

They just simply think that this is the way you use synths. So they think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I've downloaded a ton of free VSTs - Crystal, U-He stuff, OB-Xd - and even Synth1 which has a very old 4-bit looking interface but sounds quite good.

Once I had all of these I just simply had too many choices. I would spend hours looking for the "perfect" preset - and then I'd add some other "perfect" tracks only to find the first one didn't really sit well in the mix. Then I'd have to repeat the process.

You get information overload - option overload.

Instead, if you learn to sit down and tweak parameters, you can make anything you want.

And every single preset in any one of these things are just things other people tweaked for you and saved already.

Now granted, it's hard to create acoustic instrument sounds from scratch as well as many of the pre-made ones, but for other synth sounds - no - especially if there's no basis for comparison.

Sure, synth engines and methods (Subtractive vs. FM vs. Wavetable, etc.) all have a kind of "sameness of sound" - you play with a Moog for hours and you'll find out while you can make an infinite number of sounds, they all still have some "Moog-ness" to them.

But I'm scrolling through all of these presets in Massive, and I'm thinking, these are all just variations on sounds I already have in Retro Synth - which actually has Subtractive, FM, and Wavetable! All I got do to is tweak them.

And things like Green Oak's Crystal do some amazing longer term things - evolution of sound over time - that many others don't do.

I think if you'd consider paying for things, it would be some presets you need that you can't find elsewhere (and this would be primarily for great realistic acoustic sounds) or additional things like effects that others don't have.

But I deleted all that stuff because honestly it's just too many options.

By limiting my options, I can focus on sound creation rather than "preset perusing".

I find this more rewarding because ultimately my music has my sounds in it.

So I've got a Roland FA that can pretty much do anything and more that the VSTs can do, and what it can't I can go to RetroSynth or other Logic Synths.

If I ever need anything more, I'll go download the free ones again.

I think a lot of people just "get tired" of what they have because all they do is use presets, so to get "more sounds" they buy more sounds - rather than learning to tweak what they haver

But at least, in Massive and Kontakt, I haven't heard anything that I couldn't create in something I've already paid for or downloaded for free.

Sure it takes the time to do it - but if you've got 20,000 presets to go through to find that one damn sound you remember you liked...well, I
can probably create it in the time it takes to find it!

So yeah, I'm kind of like, the NI stuff I added didn't really do anything for me - and then with that realization I had, I couldn't justify spending 500 on something like that.

Madsen

Anyone looked into how big of an effect different audio converters play on soft synths?

I have vague recollections of drum samples sounding beastly out of a Kurzweil K2000 & then playing back the same WAV on my old Echo Darla soundcard & it sounding weak. I imagine it's a similar signal chain rabbit hole as guitars thru various amps, ect.

You get information overload - option overload.
I experienced complete writing paralysis when I started recording with a PC in the early 00's. Just too many options to wrap my head around. Completely destroyed my workflow. I'm currently experiencing something similar chasing various tones & dream instruments.

Papanate

I I'm a soundtrack guy, I don't know if I can really use this, or wait until Komplete Ultimate goes on sail
Use the trial version and see for yourself. I used Omnisphere for the first two years I owned it - but in the last 3 years have barely touched it.

Chimuelo

Maybe try and blend soft with Discreet Audio Synths.
I route my external hardware into an XITE-1 DSP Rack where a custom mixer blends ASIO, Analog, AES/EBU, ADAT, etc.
AES Out into a DCX 2496 Modded unit where a 2.1 Stage Monitor rig kicks down the doors.
My SE-02s are for Bass and Leads and I dont need any addition layering on Leads, bug on Bass Omni and Analog hardware sound better than either by itself.

My PC also uses Kontakt, PianoTeq, ZebraHZ and Omnisphere/Keyscape.
The same goes with my samples. I layer everything.
BBB and Chris Hein Horns, Cantebury Rhodes with Keyscape and PTeq.
A world of difference combining various sounds, but Im up against real drums and stacks.
The only thing I dont need to layer is my HX-3 Hammond B3 clone.

Gotsta have both.

Gibby60

Silver Supporting Member
Every now and then a company really delivers, I think it is worth every penny. For music production it’s so inspiring. I have to tell someone, no one in my family cares about it, thank goodness for you guys

mattthehoople

I’m a Logic x guy. I’ve loaded up both keyscape and omnisphere in shopping carts but never pulled the trigger. Yet.

Right now, I’m digging u-he Diva. Killing it.
For piano sounds, I’m not sure you could do better than keyscape for the number of options per $.

Trending Topics