OMs and 000s

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Brad Scott, May 15, 2006.

1. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Supporting Member

So I'm ready to buy a new small-body guitar — an OM or 000 size. I seem to be coming back to two Martins; an OM-28V and a 000-28EC. I would love to entertain the idea of a Collings or Santa Cruz, but they're just beyond my financial threshold. :)

I am playing more fingerstyle lately, so I'm looking for a 1 3/4 nut and wider string spacing. I'm stuck on the long-scale/short-scale thing, however. I realize a typical OM with longer scale length has a bit more projection than a shorter-scale 000, but the 000 seems easier for fretting/string bending.

Anyone have an OM/000 size guitar; particularly one of the two mentioned above? What are your impressions of them — or any others you've played?

2. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

Hey Brad:

I test drove those two Martins and liked them. I ended up finding a Larrivee OM-60 that was in "as-new" condition for about $1200. It is Larrivee's take on a Martin OM and is a wonderful guitar. My goal wasn't to spend less, but this guitar played and sounded better than the other 2 in my hands. The Martins I tried sounded a little "thuddy" to me compared to the Larrivee (same woods). The Om-60 comes with a bone nut and saddle too. Just a suggestion.

3. K-man

K-man Member

Check out this site:
    http://p082.ezboard.com/btheunofficialmartinguitarforum

You should be able to find plenty of info there on Martin, Collings etc. I read enough opinions there that I chose Martin over Collings (no the forum is not all Martin fans, contrary to the name). I didn't look into Santa Cruz at all.

I have an OM-18V. I went with the OM over the OOO because I thought the OM was a little more versatile. Sounds great for fingerpicking, but also has decent volume for strumming as well. What I like best about the guitar is how balanced the tone is, and how all the notes ring out with clarity.

I don't really bend on acoustic, but I'd struggle to bend a full step on the OM. If you bend alot you should look into the OOO.

4. retro

retro Member

I have a Collings OM1A and have played their 000's and many Martins and Santa Cruz and Olson's and Hoffman's and well, the list goes on and on.

Not sure what your budget is...I would think the Martins on your list would not preclude either Collings or Santa Cruz though.

AFAIK a Collings OM1 with a 1-3/4 nut can be found for $3,000.00 or less, new and Santa Cruz OM PW's for even less.

Comparatively; I personally found a big enough difference and preference in OM's and 000's for Collings, and Golden Era Martins to the Vintage Series Martins or Santa Cruz. Maybe it's the Mahogany plus the pre war bracing. But they seem to project better and have a better balance with more clarity overall to my ears. Which seems to give them a slightly more complex color.

So unless your budget is not where I think it is with your Martin choices I would definitely recommend considering your options as well.

As far as scale length goes. I don't even think about it going from one to the other myself in regards to fretting or bending.

5. matte

matte Senior Member

Here’s my OM28HBC. Had this since 1987.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. retro

retro Member

Your pics don't load for me Matte.
    Maybe it's just me and Safari??

7. Topcat

Topcat Member

Might be on your end Retro as they are loading for me just fine. Great photo's by the way.

Bar frets and is that soundhole oval??? Cool guitar.

Terry

8. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

Here is my Martin knock-off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. retro

retro Member

What's weird is 60HzShuffle's won't load either except it does/did show up in the thread while in the post mode of this post...then when I post it, it doesn't show up.

Daggummit!

Something must be weird on my end I am having trouble with Gibson's site loading now too.

Ok nevermind they both work now....

10. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

That Larrivee was a whole lot of bang for the buck :)

11. Bajan

Bajan Member

I have an OM28V and I love it beyond words. I also do a lot of fingerstyle playing and I really like the OM for that. Actully the OM flatpicks pretty damn well too. I have played a few Collings and Santa Cruz OMs and I liked the Martin better. The others are fantastic guitars but the Martin, well just sounds like a Martin and that was the sound I was after. As far as the OM/000 distinction, I prefer the OM. I find it more balanced and does project better. I find that 000s can be a bit muted in comparison (though I have played some that blew me away). The light bracing and longer scale on the OM just gives more volume with a lighter touch but you can hit it with the pick pretty hard too and it holds up very well. A very versatile design. Plus, there is just something about the fattness in the highs of the Martin OM that is really addictive.

Shane.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The frets on that baby are TALL!!!

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I paid $1200 for my Bourgeois OM-18 style guitar... it's got mahogany back/sides and sounds and plays beautifully... I've had a few offers, but none I would take!

14. matte

matte Senior Member

.070"! Got a Real Selmer Mac vibe to it.

15. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I've had both. I bought the 000-28EC first. It was a fine guitar but now I own a OM-28V and IMHO nothing touches it. I've played some of the other high end brands too but always came back to the OM-28V. The longer scale and thinner bracing makes a huge difference over the clapton. The clapton is nice but the OM-28V is way more versatile. Think of it a a Clapton and then some.
    The clapton does bend strings eaier but it's only a minor difference.

16. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I have a cutaway Collings OM2H and it's just "one of those guitars." People don't believe it until they hear it but it's louder than just about every dread I compared it with. The tone of this thing is stunning with a lot of bottom end (volume and clarity) - Collings when they are new have really pronounced fundamentals and the harmonics blossom in time. Mine is a Sitka/Indian which Is great for this guitar - adirondack might get to be a bit harsh in this size guitar.

I played just about everything I could get my hands on before buying this one and I've found nothing that touches it for my tastes. I played SEVERAL OM 28's and they are very good, but only one I played a few years ago struck me like this particular Collings. I've also played some Collings I've had no trouble walking away from.

As for the price, be sure you compare carefully. I've been surprised how the Martin prices have climbed. When you compare apples to apples, prices really get pretty close. Good luck in the hunt!

17. Zoner

Zoner Member

I have 2 OM-28V's....totally awesome!!!!!

18. 98FlySupreme

98FlySupreme Member

For the record, I once played an old Martin 0000 and I thought it sounded incredible for fingerstyle (I played acoustic fingerstyle exclusively for about 3 years). I personally feel that the Clapton signature is giving you more name and less guitar at that price level. One important aspect I think you should consider, as I had a hard time finding this, is the top. An Englemann spruce top produces an incredible tone for fingerstyle guitar, whereas having the Brazilian rosewood back and sides, in my opinion, doesn't matter that much for fingerstyle. I played a $5,000 Brazilian Bourgeois OM that I just didn't feel had the fingerstyle tone--too dark, too muddy. Also, don't shy away from exotic backs and sides. Koa produces an definitively tight, snappy tone.

19. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

But after a long search, and a good friend who makes a good portion of his income playing lots of acoustic, he helped get me into one of these:

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/products/guitars/revival/omm/index.html

----I could not be happier, and I did play it against a bunch of Larrivees and some Martins---

After I bought it (about 1750.00 out the door) I got to go to Bend, Oregon to the Breedlove factory, and they put on a Bone saddle and nut on it---sounds beautiful to me---

ac