On a Gibson How can you tell if it has a brazillian board?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by popinvasion, Aug 10, 2008.

1. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

I have a few gibsons
    most have this very light, swirled looking rosewood with lots of grain and markings

Then one has a very dark, almost black in some areas with very little light spots. The spots that are light are still dark. It has some subtle grain and markings but for the most part its much much darker and is very subtle with any changes in color.

How do you tell if any of these are brazillian, these are all gibson historics.

Made in the 2000-2002 area

Thank you

phoenix 7 likes this.
  2. 59Vampire

59Vampire Member

3. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Are you going to have different feelings towards the guitar if you find out it's not Brazilian rosewood?

4. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

The problem is the one in question is an SG, not a les paul.

So that program doesn't work for that.

phoenix 7 likes this.
  5. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

Not at all, I just want to know exactly in case I sell it.

phoenix 7 likes this.
  6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Easy way to tell is that Gibson will over charge you about $2-3 grand for it............:stir

7. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

Well, it was $5700 new

phoenix 7 likes this.
  8. shuie

shuie Member

Call Gibson and give them the serial number. If they don't verify it, its not. Even if it really is, it will not bring Brazilian money when you sell it if Gibson won't confirm it.

9. 59Vampire

59Vampire Member

the best answer look no further

10. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Just curious, does Brazillian Rosewood make much of a difference on a neck? I know the difference on the back and sides of old Martins is huge, but I couldn't tell you on a neck.

11. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

It depends entirely on the piece of Brazillian Rosewood. I've played some completely unremarkable sounding Braz fretboards, and some genuinely amazing ones where you could instantly hear the difference.

Like with Vintage Guitars, guitars with Braz fretboards can be simply in another category, or they can be just typical - depends on the individual piece of wood in my experience.

Dana O.

12. Matlock

Matlock Member

But how can you tell it was the fretboard that made it sound so good? Maybe the guitar as a whole just sounded better?

13. WordMan

WordMan Member

I have no idea if Braz board affects tone, but it can affect feel. Braz is harder than Indian RW but not as hard as Ebony. Also Braz can have a "waxy" feel - when I do bends it is as firm as ebony but it still feels like I can "dig in" like with I-RW but not with ebony or lacquered maple...

14. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I thought Gibson only used braz fb in 2003 and then pulled it in the middle of the year. Did they even use brazilian in the 70's?

15. Tuco

Tuco Member

There was a small Historic run in either 2000 or 2002 (can't remember for sure) that Gibson will verify. The internet jury says Gibson stopped using Braz on fretboards in '65 or '66.

16. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

To sell your Gibson, it doesn't matter one bit if it's Braz or not, What matters is : Will it be certified by Gibson so people believe you ... :jo
    I sold an R7 right in the certified Braz board number that had a non Brazilian board ( still a great guitar ), told the customer who didn t want to believe me ... he thought he ripped me off and somehow did because I could have sold it for a brazilian certified board ... Yet again I had an 03 R9 a couples of certified so called Brazilian number that DID have real Brazilian rosewood ... Couldn t sell the thing but for a regular R9 ... :NUTS

One of the only way to tell Brazilian rosewood from another is it's very distinctive smell. Trust your nose not your eyes :)

This said, I do believe that "good" Brazilian does affect the tone. it's usually stiffer than Indian and therefore would resonate in a different way. I built two necks with the same piece of maple and same thickness of slab board, one Braz and one Madagascar. There was a very noticeable difference, trying both necks on the same test body, same pups and same room on the same day.
    Now can I spot a Brazilian board neck if you d play two different Les Pauls in the same amp with my back to you ? I don't think so ...
    You also nowadays see a lot of real but bad quality Brazilian rosewood that people try and flock you as if it was gold ... It officially became a myth and myth don't die easy ... Not everything made out of Brazilian rosewood is good.
    Take the simple example of Martin guitars, not only they used Indian but most importantly the quality of the building, bracing, glueing and fretting went down the drain, therefore did the quality of the sound and playability ...

17. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

The Braz boards is just another hype by the cork sniffers.

18. ~el gringo loco

~el gringo loco Member

Do you really know that to be true, or do you just think you really know that to be true?

I can see where you might say that you don't get what Brazilian boards can be all about, but to dismiss 'em all as "hype by the cork sniffers" sounds a little harsh, don't you think?

~j

19. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Well... Prove they sound better. Prove they're "better."

When Gibson was doing that run of Braz board LPs they let go some serious turds and laughed all the way to the bank. To my way of thinking, a good fingerboard chunk of rosewood is that dark chocolate look. I'm not so concerned about figuring in the fingerboard wood. Look at the stuff that was put out with the light streaks running through them. Sorry. Some may find "character" in that- I think it's ugly and someone paid a premium for it because it's "Brazillian Rosewood," and more than likely passed over in the past as unusable until people were clamoring for this mythical BR magic.

20. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

That makes me a fingerboard sniffer ! :dude