• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

On a Marc Ford kick, need some help with a Neptune Blues Club tone.

thrashmetl

Silver Supporting Member
Been listening to all of the Marc Ford albums the past few days and I love the tone he gets on Mother's Day off of the Neptune Blues Club album. It's a fairly familiar tone, but I'm not sure what amp he's using. All I know is it's a small amp and he's using an LP, probably with his Tom Short pickups.

I know we've got a bunch of Marc Ford freaks here, so what's he using?

Here's the song:

Last edited:

rickc007

Gold Supporting Member
Cant fire up that song from where im at

But ive seen the band a chunk of times
P90s, schreyer amps, headstrong amps... and
Chops out the ying yang

Miss those So Cal Shows

slogger

Honestly Marc is the whole the tone is in the fingers argument guy. He has tone for days on anything you listen to. I saw him in Annapolis with Blue Floyd, he had a scorching tone as always. He was playing through a Soulbender and a Sunlion. I bought a soulbender, a beano burst and a sunface based off of that show. I still have the sunface because it is an amazing pedal in it's own right but I've sold the others because after years of trying Marc is the only one who can get Marc's tone. The gear is inconsequential. He plays through tube amps, Fender and Gibson guitars outfitted with Tom Short Pickups. Other than that it's in his fingers.

thrashmetl

Silver Supporting Member
slogger said:
Honestly Marc is the whole the tone is in the fingers argument guy. He has tone for days on anything you listen to. I saw him in Annapolis with Blue Floyd, he had a scorching tone as always. He was playing through a Soulbender and a Sunlion. I bought a soulbender, a beano burst and a sunface based off of that show. I still have the sunface because it is an amazing pedal in it's own right but I've sold the others because after years of trying Marc is the only one who can get Marc's tone. The gear is inconsequential. He plays through tube amps, Fender and Gibson guitars outfitted with Tom Short Pickups. Other than that it's in his fingers.

I have to disagree with you here completely. I think one of Marc's huge skills is his ability to dial in amazing tones. Marc is a great guitar player, but he's a licks player more than he is a picking dynamics wizard like Robben Ford because that's what Marc's music calls for. Marc's albums are full of killer tones that He dials in with the appropriate amp and Mic to match the match the song, he's not a one amp, one sound for the entire album type of guy. There's no way Marc, or anyone for that matter, can make a Marshall stack sound like a cranked Blackface Deluxe. The amp does play a huge part of his tone here, not his fingers, especially since it's such a unique sound.

jjkuz

I was told specifically from Wayne Jones (President of Headstrong amps) that Marc used several guitars on that albumn but the main amp was a Headstrong Lil' King amp with a 1x15" speaker plus different OverDrive pedals.

I love the tone on that song too (I love the tone on the whole disk actually) but I always thought it sounded like his Strat. Then I was on the Asher site and linked with the MF Signature guitar was "check out theses tones" alluding that Marc used the Asher on that album and that song.

thrashmetl

Silver Supporting Member
jjkuz said:
I was told specifically from Wayne Jones (President of Headstrong amps) that Marc used several guitars on that albumn but the main amp was a Headstrong Lil' King amp with a 1x15" speaker plus different OverDrive pedals.

I love the tone on that song too (I love the tone on the whole disk actually) but I always thought it sounded like his Strat. Then I was on the Asher site and linked with the MF Signature guitar was "check out theses tones" alluding that Marc used the Asher on that album and that song.

That's funny because to me that sounds like humbuckers without a doubt. When Marc plays a Strat it tends to sound exactly like a Strat, but this one to me sounded exactly like what humbuckers should sound like. I can tell you indefinitely that it's not his Asher Signature because this album came out in '08 and the Asher wasn't even released until around 2010-2011. Also, Tom Short makes Marc's signature humbuckers and the video clip Tom posted of the pickups are of a live version of this song, unfortunately though you can't see the amp.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
That's funny because to me that sounds like humbuckers without a doubt. When Marc plays a Strat it tends to sound exactly like a Strat, but this one to me sounded exactly like what humbuckers should sound like. I can tell you indefinitely that it's not his Asher Signature because this album came out in '08 and the Asher wasn't even released until around 2010-2011. Also, Tom Short makes Marc's signature humbuckers and the video clip Tom posted of the pickups are of a live version of this song, unfortunately though you can't see the amp.

Just FWIW...Marc got the first Asher that became the Marc Ford model in 2005 for his second stint with the Crowes.

If you look at pics form the album art work for that album in the middle there is a picture of Marc playing a Reverend double cut and behind him you see a Telecaster and a Les Paul, behind the Les Paul leaned up against the wall is his red Asher MC Model.

As far as amps go he tends to really dig new copies and clones of old Fenders...tweed Deluxes and Blackface Princeton Reverbs seem to be mainstays!

I won't claim to know what Marc is using at any given time, he has more equipment than most of us and he uses it all.

Nailing down a specific tone is likely going to be near impossible.

BMF Effects

Great tone made simple.
Gold Supporting Member
I won't claim to know what Marc is using at any given time, he has more equipment than most of us and he uses it all.

Nailing down a specific tone is likely going to be near impossible.

+1. I've been in the studio with Marc and there is no set rig, he uses what he needs to get the sounds he wants to hear. That being said, I've seen him plug into a rig most people would scoff at and he still sounds like Marc.

Marc is an awesome guy and he does jump around a lot with what he will use in the studio. I don't think anyone mentioned he used Roccaforte amps (there version of a Plexi) Effect wise it has always been basic A tuner and Analog Man Sunlion is what he use for the most part on the last black crowes stint.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom