On board effects loop

Tim Pourciau

I am curious if anyone on here uses an on board effects loop in their guitars. I know Jerry Garcia used them and Kimock also uses them in his guitars. The whole idea being you can present a full on signal from your pickups to the effects board and then that comes back into the guitar and you can use your guitar's volume control as a master volume. Very useful for things like envelope filters that are finicky with what signal they see.

Second part of this question is, is there anywhere someone with very very little experience can purchase such a thing? I can follow directions and say "solder this to this" but looking at a schematic makes me feel dumb.

Dave Klausner

I do essentially the same thing with a volume pedal, which comes after everything in my chain except the power amp. It's handy for envelope filter stuff, but also for overdrive, in that I can get the same tone at whatever volume I want.

For aftermarket stuff, Wald Electronics and CAE Sound offer versions of the buffered pre/effects loop.

choucas09

I put an effects loop into this guitar though I know this is different to what you had in mind as it has an amp and speaker built in.

jerrycampbell

Zombie thread threatens to pick the brains of anyone using an OBEL.
If you are using a volume pedal, does it affect the tone being last in line?
Thanks.

Trending Topics