On Historic LP , better tuners than those Klusons are what ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rock Fella, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

im in the camp that believes the Kluson Tuner to be retained more for visual accuracy than capability.

im of the opinion that a higher performing tuner that can be fitted to my R9 without any need for drilling will improve the gtr no end.

so what is directly fittable tuner for a LP of the magnitude of a R9 that will hold tuning stability to a higher degree of accuracy than the Klusons that come as stock ?

thanks guys
    Jimmy

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I have no problems with my R7 stying in tune.

I am of the opinion that most tuning problems are the result of poorly wound strings.

So there!

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Personally, I think that friction at the LP nut is the biggest single source of tuning problems with a LP. The relatively extreme compound angle that the inner strings have make proper cutting and lubrication of the nut slots essential. I've had no trouble with the Kluson tuners themselves. Just MHO, YMMV.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

My method is simple.
    Tri-flow on the nut and bridge saddles.
    3 winds per peg, one under the other, streach and go.

I did a gig with it this saturday with very little problems. Took a few weeks to settle in but now it is golden.

I still love Grovers but I am not changing the Kluson's until I need to.

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Same here. The modern Kluson replicas are pretty good IMO. Any tuning problems are likely due to bad stringing and/or not stretching them properly, wrong tuning technique (you should always go UP to the note with this type of tuners) and/or snagging at the nut.

I've long since lost count of the number of guitars that have been brought to me "for a new set of heads because it won't stay in tune" and sent away with a new set of strings properly fitted, the nut checked, and curiously enough it stays in tune fine... I should stop really, I do myself out of about $50 worth of work every time :).

I believe someone that Scott Peterson works for ;) was going to introduce a high-quality locking direct replacement for Klusons though - that maybe would be worth having. You still have to stretch the strings properly, but at least it takes the stringing and tuning just about out of the equation.

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

a few weeks :eek:

my R9 usually settles in about 30 mins .

I have no more tuning worries than any other Historic LP owner, its just that I do believe there are vastly superior tuners to Klusons. I change my strings once a fortnight so quick settling and bedding in is important for me.

I take vaseline and mix it with graphite powder , put it onto toothpick and insert into nutslots and wipe clean, ive never thought of lubricating bridge saddles .........hmmm

7. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

whats the position regarding this Scott ?

jimmy

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If you stetch them really well you can get them to settle in 30 seconds. Most of it really is the way the string 'creeps' on the post until it locks itself. That's why locking tuners are an improvement to some extent. You still have to stretch, just not as much.
    So do I, which is why I just fitted Sperzels to that '64 Strat rather than going to a great deal of trouble to fill the damage some other idiot did and go back to Klusons.

The problem is that none of the superior heads are drop-in replacements for Klusons, unless these new ones are out yet.

Actually Jimmy, to make your Historic a truly accurate reproduction of an old Les Paul, you should just drill the thing out and fit Grovers... since most of the real old ones had that done in the 70s anyway ;).

9. sears

sears Member

The thing I love about the "crappy" tuners that come on high-end Gibsons is that they're lightweight. If there were replacements that went right in and weighed the same I'd get them. I agree that they aren't the greatest tuners in the world but I feel the extra weight through the string and I don't like it. I'd consider Waverlies but they're heavy too.

10. hogy

hogy Member

No they're not, in fact they are lighter than the Klusons, especially with ebony buttons. They're also the best tuners made today. I don't care for Sperzels, they look hightech but are cheaply made and have a lot of slack. FWIW.

Hogy

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

MY BAD!!

The guitar is new, the guitar took a few weeks to settle in, not the strings. If they last 2 or 3 weeks that is a long time for me.

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

The tuners have nothing to do with how long the strings take to settle.

Like John P said, a well strung/stretched set of strings will settle in 30 secs.

In 25 years of playing guitar, I have never had tuning stability problems that related to the tuners.

Having said that, I like Grovers for their smooth action and fine ratio.

13. sears

sears Member

Thanks for that. I had been told by someone I consider somewhat unreliable, so I thought I'd trot the factoid out right here. I have never tried them since they're pretty expensive.

14. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

i do not have expirience with the tuners that come on the gibson reissues. i do however have plenty of it with teles and kluson style tuners. the added mass of different tuners will change the tone, but grover makes a kluson style tuner that seems very stable, in fact they are going to be put on my new guitar when it is ready. (custom made single cutaway like a LP) i would suggest those personally but i would also make sure the nut is cut right and lubed properly. good luck

15. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

16. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

The Gotoh/Gibson tuners on the R's are pretty decent, most of the problems I've had were nut related. A professionally installed bone nut usually will help the tuning problems.

Waverly tuners are very high quality. They ought to make a covered Kluson clone.

17. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I have the Gotoh Kluson type locking tuners on my DeTemple and Melancon and they look authentic and work flawlessly. String angle on the DeTemple Strat could be a hair more, but not enough to make a whole lot of difference.

Ned

18. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Anybody know if the Waverly tuners will fit without drilling? I have a PRS Singlecut with the Vintage style tuners and I want to replace them with Waverly's or anything that looks better than the Kluson-esque ones.

19. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you can get gotohs in all sorts of variations, from butterbean nickel to white pearloid kluson-style, that will fit right on.

the gotohs are quite nice, i see no need to replace them except for cosmetic considerations.

the actual new tonepros/kluson keys are maybe a little nicer, but the last set i dealt with would not go in a historic lp without having to extract and replace the bushings, which themselves wouldn't fit without altering the guitar slightly! very annoying, and IMO not worth it.

if waverly comes out with a vintage les paul key, i might bite.

20. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

I'm doing it purely for cosmetic reasons.

I love the look of Waverly's. But, I don't think they will fit on my guitar without modification. I have the kluson style on there now. But, i think some of the dimenions are different.